SweViver's In-Depth Pimax 8K & 5K+ Review - please discuss it here!

Another thing I was thinking about: The clarity of minor details like text will actually look even better than the images can show you, because the brain will be combining 2 slightly different pixelated versions of the same text/detail.

4 Likes

Great Video! One thing no one mentioned in any review: performance with the Low FOV setting. You quickly mentioned that the FOV was still better than other headsets. I wouldnā€™t mind using the 8K with lower FOV(maybe they can make increments of 120, 130, 140, etc) if the clarity can equal the 5K+ at Normal FOV. Also, were your side-by-side pictures of the 8K using PiTool 1.5 + 50% Steam and 1.0 + 50% for the 5K+, or was it variable? If you use the Low FOV, can you make the clarity equal to the 5K+ at ā€œNormalā€ FOV with the same performance? Thanks!

3 Likes

I was just decided for the 5kā€¦ you ruined it all!!
:smiley:

Ok, iā€™m a simracing ac fan with 8400 and 1080 tiā€¦ you said the definition of the 5k is better than the 8k, but once you render 50% more in the 8k, this one is betterā€¦

I know it has more resolution, but when the cars are far away is really that diferent? If you put more ss in the 5k could not be matched?

Thanks for your work

1 Like

You surprised me @SweViver, really really nice in depth review, glad to see you touched on the panel utilization issue which I saw the other reviewers not do. This is the best review between the 3 reviews released today. Great work, big props!

15 Likes

Hmm regarding the panel utilization, I think the panels must be bigger than the cup holders show. So to really measure it correctly youā€™d probably need to open the HMD to find out the form factor of the panels pimax used. Anyway Iā€™m sure weā€™ll get more detailed on all this later on. For now your vid is a nice starting point for all this.

2 Likes

what a reviewā€¦ great! many thx!

3 Likes

Easily the most in depth review from a few angles. the inhuman hours you logged to the headsets really show.

One thing that didnā€™t come up that i would love to know, does natural locomotion work? Natural Locomotion on Steam

it sounds like i can squeak by with my 1070 on a bunch of the games i like ( iā€™m not a simmer) with reduced fov, but that something like a 2070/1080ti will do fine on all but most demanding sims.

Amazing that a variant of of the 5k, a headset that only existed as an afterthought by forum demand would sweep all the testers recommendations.

6 Likes

The 8K fall only a little short of itā€™s original goal, If I look into my crystal ball I see the 5K and 8K going fast into oblivion, to be supersede by the 5K+ and a new 8K+ very shortly next year.

The 8Kx has no main stream market share this year and event next year.

3 Likes

Amazing work here- fantastic stuff. I am surprised by the outcome, but the facts are the facts. Thank you so much.

3 Likes

@SweViver thank you for all the testing you did, really great work. i only need one comparison to decide between the 8k and 5k+ and thats just fps. did you already do that or will in the next days? easiest for me would be to launch assetto corsa with pi tool and steamvr rendering so high to get like 60 fps just standing still when going into the car. and then compare the fps between both headsets and also changing the fov settings to see how much performance these give. :innocent:

2 Likes

@SweViver I hope your taking your much needed sleep but I still wanted to try and clarify one point that i might have misunderstood or that I donā€™t fully get.

You said a few time how with the Pimax 8k you can get a really detailed and better picture if you use a better quality in pi tool ~1.5+ with combination of high supper sampling in steamVR setting. My question is if you boost the 5k+ to the same setting does it at one point stop looking better while the 8k can actually keep on looking better and if at all possible to test at what point does the scale tip?
(I know those setting will be too high for playability but I would really like to know since it can make the 8k better for future and who knows maybe the new rtx will really shine in the not so far future.)

By the way great review you answer all other question I might have had.

8 Likes

@SweViver

Just finished watching the whole vid - thanks for the excellent work!

One point that I wanted to clarify, I thought that we were told the color/pattern of the chevron was changeable? I am sure the question was asked here on the forums recently, and the response was that it could be changed (both color and pattern) but now this appears to not be the caseā€¦

Just wondering, is this only because of test units or has this been improperly presented as well?

1 Like

@SweViver Man much respect that was a great review. Now if you wrenā€™t already go catch some zā€™s.

4 Likes

Just finished watching your review mate.
:+1: :clap::clap::clap:
Easily the most informative in depth review I have seen since I got into vr which was exactly what I needed to see with the predicament we have been put in (8k 5k+)
Thank you.
I know where I will be coming for most of my game settings recommendations once my headset arrives.

7 Likes

Just finished watching. Great, informative review! Thank you for all of the time that you put into it and the whole process. Great job!!

1 Like

loving your review @SweViver

Looking at the colours in your through the lens and in some of the screenshots and videos you took, the colours seem to look better in the 5k?

Eno

@SweViver. Would the 5K benefit from supersampling using upcoming graphics cards in the next year? Is the power of future graphics cards better utilized with supersampling the 5K or running the 8K at optimal rendering Target.

Supersampling on the original Vive has been a godsend. Iā€™m just wondering what the 5K could potentially look like with the ability and power of supersampling.

3 Likes

personally, Iā€™d like to see comparison to P4k
letā€™s face it ā€“ most of us here are p4k ownersā€¦

3 Likes

Thank you! That was an awesome review and answered almost all of my questions! The outstanding one is, of course, whereā€™s mine?

1. I think that your voice might be starting to give out.
  2. No, you may not borrow my car.
  3. Thank you, again, for all of your work! It made a huge difference for me!!!
    Edit: almost forgot the most important part! Your English is improving dramatically! Towards the end I stopped being surprised that you actually sound like someone else! Your accent is almost gone! :grin:
2 Likes

OMFG That Is Awesome. Youā€™re a Legend SweViver. Thanks So Much for this review. Gonna make some serious alone time to watch it all at once, but Iā€™m gonna pick at it here and there until then, and then rewatch a few times Iā€™m certain. It looks like what I need as an obsessively detailed purchaser. My inner Nerd Thanks You Bro!!1

3 Likes