SweViver: Pimax 8K X Specifications Revealed - Everything you NEED to know!

HP reverb is using “pulse backlight technology”, and based on some reviews the blacks are very good.
So there are options and I hope Pimax realizes how important black levels are.

2 Likes

So HP Reverb (2160 X 2160) is 1000 PPI, what will the Pimax 8K X (3840 X 2160) be??

3 Likes

It certainly could be. I’d love to have one, but I’ve already blown my hardware budget for this year (on a HOTAS and https://monstertechusa.com chair-mounts, an SSD, a lighthouse, etc.)

3 Likes

I wasn’t saying you were supporting such a thing, no worries man.

2 Likes

I want to say that Valve Index has been getting a LOT of praise from early previews about its comfort and integrated audio. It seems comfort really is a big thing for people (of course it is).

So Pimax should look at what the Index is doing right and implement it in their DAS as best as possible - it is actually very important!

Also, Index style headphone speakers seem to be a very good idea and should not be so hard to do.

See this video for example where he talks about how good the face cushioning is in the Index

Just simple low tech stuff like that can make a BIG difference it seems.

Also this UploadVR preview … it seems be so much about “comfort”.

3 Likes

“Pulse backlight technology” is just a description of how you get low persistence with an LCD. Exactly like “ULMB”, “LightBoost”, “CLPL” etc. Just different marketing for synchronized short strobe backlights. The smarter ones also tune the response curves so the strobe is early in the frame but not over/undershooting the target colours, which could include placing inversion at times a longer persistence display would be lit. Black level on this type of display is entirely dependent on the LCD’s contrast (which is one source of ghosting when using shutter glasses).

3 Likes

Just bought a reverb so I’ll be able to gauge the experience , I think 145 FOV with a massive overlap would be best of all worlds though

4 Likes

Pimax should prepared also longer cables with new Pimax 8k X. I’m thinking that there is no extension cables on the market supporting that native resolution in 80/75hz
@PimaxUSA @SweViver

2 Likes

If they improve the panel untilization it should be very similar.

3 Likes

Are Pimax going to change the lenses to improve panel utilisation and remove the distortions once and for all?
I also understood that a maximum of 80% of the panels could be used, due to the IPD adjustment.

5 Likes

Well, they could simply reduce the IPD adjustment range. :stuck_out_tongue:

…and just the new display panels being physically smaller, would both increase utilisation, and reduce dot pitch and “screen door thread thickness”, even with the current lenses.

or they could redesign to have the screens move along with the lenses… :7

…but some of the claims in the video would really have to involve new lenses, one would think.

We’ll see, I guess… :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

I’d say 150 FOV with full panel usage would be bliss.
The lesson learned from Pimax 5K+ and 8K: don’t be too greedy on FOV.

13 Likes

I really really hope @PimaxVR has an 8k replacement program for this, I’d glady pop some more euros together while letting go all the upcoming Kickstarter pending stretch goal goods to get a chance to replace the 8k for this, at least if it’s as good as it looks on paper, we were the first futurists, i’d be amazing if our early trust in Pimax allows us to get the better product from them.

9 Likes

Obviously getting an upgrade path for the 8k would be great, but maybe board upgrade to get rid of the scaler would be cheap and effective?

3 Likes

I don’t know about the others, but I don’t send my 8K and I spend thousands of euros without seeing with my own eyes that there are no distortions and the image improves a lot.

@Sean.Huang @anon74848233 @DerekVVV
@mozi @PimaxUSA @SweViver

If Pimax changes IPD adjustment to move screens with the lenses, then panel utilization could be more like 90%-100% (whilst increasing IPD room and binocular overlap)

Also Pimax can implement a software side Parralell projections for every game as XTAL have done, or just reduce the performance requirement for parralell projections to run in pitool, as it’s currently too costly in performance.

2 Likes

@SweViver @PimaxUSA As an 8KX backer I’m pleased for the 8K-X information!

PimaxUSA stated in a different post that the plan for the 8KX is for it to become the flagship device.

Question: Is it possible that the 8KX will be i the ruggedized version of the housing?

2 Likes

I don‘t think that anybody should expect the 8KX to improve all sorts of things which people may consider shortcomings of the Pimax headsets. They will have a different resolution and apparently, whcih is great news, full RGB stripe displays, but otherwise better expect them to be the same as the 5K+ and 8K. So those who didn‘t like these headsets should just rather look towards the other headsets like Index and Reverb and try their luck with those. It would be pointless to purchase an 8KX nevertheless and then complain about issues which were rather obvious to be expected.

6 Likes

This is what I was thinking with regards to 8K vs 8K-X. There would be little difference in GPU load as we have to upscale quite a bit for the 8K already. Given I am running 64Hz already as I can’t seem to push much beyond that regardless of SS settings on my fav sim - well 75 to 80Hz is fine by me.

Just give me a clearer image which is more vibrant with some decent motion smoothing and I’m there.

@SweViver, @Pimax-Support - those of us with damaged outer casing headsets - would there be an option to RMA existing headset and pay for an 8K-X upgrade??

My 8K works flawlessly for what it is but the casing is a not the best but I have held onto it due to 8K supply issues with Pimax and also that it still performs well on my head. I will RMA it at some stage but I would be willing to pay even $500 for an RMA upgrade path to the 8K-X.

For me visual clarity is paramount and the 8K isn’t there for high fidelity flight simming. The high SS to compensate for upscaling and Panels are the issue and native res would probably require less SS for same or better clarity.

4 Likes

Hi @SweViver , do you know if @PimaxVR is doing anything on the 8K X to improve fogging? Currently 5k and 8k don’t have either lens preheating or active cooling, so it’s annoying for me.

1 Like