SweViver: Pimax 8K X Specifications Revealed - Everything you NEED to know!

The way you worded this(in the video) it sounds like Pimax is prioritizing efficiency solely for the 8KX. Is this not a universal performance/utilization on all headsets?

2 Likes

@SweViver two simples questions for the near future

1- Will there be an Oled version?
2- This headset surely used the latest Analogix Chip, any special scan doubling mode with higher refresh rates?

2 Likes

Yes!!! no FOV reduction, will be buying for sure.

3 Likes

The thing that interests me so much about the 8K-X is that it will probably take the same 3,XXX x 3,XXX resolution I’m using with my 8K and render it a whole lot better! So no performance loss but clearer image.

Please have exchange program for 8K owners!

2 Likes

Pimax , hurry up & take my money ! This is first true gen. 2.0
Thanks Martin, great news!

5 Likes

That’s all what I need, I’m really fine with my 5K, the only need is a bit more resolution. Too bad that they couldn’t use VirtualLink

Even an 8K without upscaler would have been good for me, this is beyond expectations.

3 Likes

Well guys, as the saying goes…“Patience is a virtue”

I am so SOOOOOO glad I decided to back this while it was in Kickstarter instead of the other options. This IS the one(hopefully) we’ve all been waiting for. You wanna talk about patience? I haven’t even opened the loaner 5K+ they sent me in January. It’s still sealed in the box and at this point will remain that way.

It’s been a long time coming, but finally we have some news. Thank you very much Mr Martin for shedding some light on this mythical headset we are all so desperately waiting for. Release this year? That would be incredible and amazing! Hope it happens :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’m happy for you man. I’m still not sure how they are going to drive it, but sourcing 4k displays with RGB stripe guarantees that you are in for a serious visual treat.

2 Likes

The question would be more like are you afraid of using it…?

Wait, so is this still upscaled if the input resolution is only 4k? If not, can it be pushed to native resolution given a powerful gpu? Or is it too much for dp 1.4 like the regular 8k?

@evertec Its a native 4k signal (like the 5K is native 1440p.) They are hoping to optimize FOV, lens, and panel usage so that you only have to render 4k. The 8K already has to render higher than 4K to compensate for the lens distortion and scaler, so the 8K X should work fine if you can already run the base 8K.

3 Likes

Ok, so this is 4K per eye, not 4K total? I was getting worried when they said 4K.

2 Likes

yes native 4k per eye with full RGB stripe.

3 Likes

What great news! Good timing for those who are tempted by Valve Index but disappointed by its resolution and FOV. Comforting that Pimax is listening to the call for better utilization of the panel. Single DP1.4 solution is also comforting for the average salary people. I also think 8KX is Pimax’s only right response to the recent swarm of new headsets by the big companies. Pimax is small and resource limited. Keep going fast and ahead of powerful competitors is the most sensible strategy to remain in the circle. Yes the fast pace will leave more problems for us, but with no speed we will eventually get nothing.

5 Likes

Will have to see how distortion is AND how the housing is…if it still the same cheap housing that cracks when you look at it too hard welp…fail

4 Likes

Yes. I appreciate that we have a company in the VR space that is going this way. It means more advanced tech gets to us sooner.

While other companies take their time to perfect the experience for the lowest common denominator, Pimax gives us the latest tech as soon as possible and enthusiasts like us can deal with the rough edges (and high gpu requirements!) in exchange for the best experience available.

7 Likes

I was bothered by the distortion, but after so many Pitool updates and a process of self adaptation I haven’t noticed it for quite some time. What keeps bothering me, and maybe more so now than then, is the clarity and effective resolution.

3 Likes

Shang Tsung runs X-TAL

1 Like

80hz is overrated.
Im streaming to the quest and routinely set pitool lower than that

I can’t wait to not get my kickstarter 8KX and watch as preorder customers get theirs first. Then create multiple support tickets asking when my headset will ship, get the run around for 6 months, then be told they can’t ship anything cause it is out of stock now.
Yes I’m a little bitter about never getting a loaner headset as an 8KX backer.

Hopefully it is worth the wait.

4 Likes