SweViver: Pimax 8K X Specifications Revealed - Everything you NEED to know!

Oh IPS panels they should have nice vibrant and accurate colors… but they are normally consider slow

1 Like

where did you get that spec from ?, PPI would mean you know how big the panels are.

How big are they? I heard they are tiny.

Im more interested in PPD, as that also is affected by panel utilization.

wish pimax would allow dialing the hmd closer and farther from your face, it would solve any issues with distortion due to face pad thickness. also add a swivel to where it connects to the strap.

2 Likes

It’s half by this year now ,i am waiting for “cybershoes” “valve index controller” And now also add “Pimax 8kX”…sooo much things !
I think those things can bring some huge Improve for my VR Experience!
Ahhhh, I can’t wait more! ( Heavy breathing!

2 Likes

This. I’m pretty sure you should think of the 8k-x as an 8k with higher resolution. If you liked the 8k, you’ll like the 8k-x better. If you didn’t like the 8k because of factors like distortion, comfort etc, then it would be quite stupid/naive to pre-order the 8k-x in my opinion.

Sure, it’s possible Pimax improves some things but in this case, seeing = believing, I’ll await the reviews from forum users here. Besides I’m VERY skeptical about fixing the distortion issue’s without eye tracking, personally I don’t think it’s possible without eye tracking.

2 Likes

I vote for a bigger fov on the 8k x, so we can get a full human sight fov :wink:

Yes, we need an exchange program 8K to 8K X. (with a surcharge, of course).
I really hope that Pimax will do it for their backers :wink:

Because 8K is at the level of Lenovo Explorer in terms of SDE and clarity, and also comparable to 5K +, which should not be if 8K has real 4K RGB panels that were supposed to stand there, as announced in the specifications - 3840x2160 RGB .

But this is not there, 8K = Lenovo Explorer in terms of SDE and clarity, I’m completely sure of that, because I myself have made countless comparisons and tests between them … Here all my tests are published with 8K and Lenovo:https://community.openmr.ai/t/big-comparison-image-quality-lenovo-explorer-vs-pimax-8k-a-lot-of-photos/19066

8K is good, but not as good as everyone expected. This is a big question for Pimax, who put these panels with a PenTile texture inside 8K there.

Therefore, it will be fair for everyone that Pimax provides an exchange program for 8K to 8K X, or an upgrade program for 8K panels for new 8K X panels, because it was initially assumed that both headsets (8K and 8K X) have the same 4K panels, and the difference should there was only that in 8K scaling is performed using a scaler, and in 8K X supports native 4K by eye without scaling.

But the Pimax now put other panels in 8K X, which already means that in 8K there are inappropriate panels and they are not true 4K (although the specifications indicate back, namely 3840x2160).

I hope that @SweViver will give us some food for thought about what to do next with our 8K, whether there will be some exchange / upgrade program or not.

Because otherwise, we find ourselves in a puddle with such 8K, in which there are such strange panels that never look like 4K panels, but look at the level of 5K + or Lenovo Explorer in terms of definition and SDE. And this is not good, because 8K should be no worse than Pimax 4K in SDE and definition, if it has panels with a full RGB pixel structure. But 8K does not reach the quality of Pimax 4K, because it is only at the level of Lenovo Explorer (1440x1440 RGB), which is a proven fact.

1 Like

pimax should not start a race to resolution or others parameters.
I am already very happy with the pimax 5k+, it works well (using with 1.0 trackers/base from HTC). They should finish what they started (give us all what has been promised) instead rendering obsolete the actual models they already released by issuing new specs for futur models.
-hand tracking. not urgent since almost no apps is using it.
-fans for clearing fog (summer will be hot)
-trackers and base station (for those already who paid for), the most important missing item. Else your current helmet is just an expensive weightpaper.
-wireless, would fix the problem with bad cable (but cable extension is working fine for instance).
-eye tracking. Not sure we need that, because i have not see any real pplication, but if this could give an advantage to pimax over other headset, fine.
They should not loose the target. People buying a pimax wants to use it.

You’re forgetting that some people already paid during KS for a 8K-X, there is no reason to delay their delivery. The only item that would have higher priority is probably base stations.

6 Likes

Oh my !..please NOT again !!! LOL…

2 Likes

Again what?

I can’t ask what I wish when anyone has something to complain about ?

Just ignore, and move on

2 Likes

The Pentile like panels in the 8k were there during the first Tested KS review.

I think what it comes down to while the p4k has RGB Rainbow Panels (imho nicer than standard RGB). That they didn’t have Full RGB panels available to try & drive high refresh rates. As we do now.

In terms of upgradability at a cost is definitely aggreeable. As one user had dropped & damaged one of the 8k’s panel. So this could be offered as a diy upgrade (say just panels). With full upgrade at a higher cost. After all we don’t get a new cpu for free. :beers::sunglasses::+1::sparkles:

4 Likes

The 8kX is part of what they started & not a big Task as designing a new Hmd from scratch. Think Vive Pro was really just a revision on it’s original design with updated componets & a couple of minor new features(minor in that not hard to implement).

Fans are one of the stretch goals; some have made their own using the usb-c top port.

3 Likes

I must admit that I never expected the 8KX to appear as a current gen product, or I probably would have waited instead of getting a 5k+.

I figured (as Pimax suggested) that it would require a 3080 Ti, or perhaps even an SLI configuration (as XTAL apparently use).

Being the flagship, this isn’t going to come out until the complete package is available, as Kevin stated on interview - so I hope the supplier issues will now get solved and we’ll get our straps, facepads, controllers, and LHs, sooner rather than later. In that regard, here’s hoping it’s positive news for all Pimax owners :+1:

1 Like

and +the controllers.

2 Likes

Marco amico mio we are having our Ferrari 8K-X

Thank you @SweViver @PimaxUSA

2 Likes

Yes, I would like to get this opportunity, it would be great :beers: :+1:

I am satisfied with my 8K in general, I use it every day and enjoy it.
But the visual quality of the image of the Lenovo Explorer level I was definitely not impressed … Especially in simulators there is a shortage of high definition, small details are bad, the horizon in pixels merges, etc.

Because of this, I have to think about higher-resolution headsets, like the HP Reverb :roll_eyes: (But Reverb has a small FOV that will depress me :smirk: )
And suddenly 8K X surfaced on the horizon with full RGB panels, which immediately determined for me what I want.
I just need panels of 8K X by and large, and everything will be fine :wink::+1:

If there are no exchange / upgrade options from Pimax, then I hope they at least allow us to buy 8K-X panels from them separately, so that I can replace it myself in my 8K.

3 Likes

Keep in mind that it’s not just the display panels but also the controller bridge and the DP controller + cable connector. I don’t think it’s feasible as a DIY project.

In theory they could supply a whole new ‘core’, so the package with all electronics. But in that case users would still have to open the shell themselves and it’s just so easy to damage all kind of things, get dust on lenses etc, that I’d think it would not be a good idea, Pimax would run into a lot of problems with customers.

Sending the 8k back to pimax would be possible but what would be the manufacturing cost of just the shell + lenses? It might not even be as high as the cost to ship it back to Pimax.

I think if Pimax wants to help current 8k/5k+ users out, they could just give existing users a discount.

12 Likes

Will the panels not work if they are simply replaced?
On the Pimax 4K, the panel was also replaced with an extraneous panel. And she worked. Maybe this is possible, just will not be a native 4K by eye. (which I do not need, in general, it will be enough that it will be a full RGB 4K panel instead of 8K panels).
That is just - replacing panels.

Yes, I hope, Pimax will have at least acceptable options for backers 8K :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Well not natively 4k, that’s for sure. If all connectors for the panels would be the same, you could replace them I guess and have 1440p → 4k upscaled. But I don’t think these connectors are standardized so even that might be difficult.

2 Likes