SweViver: Pimax 8K X Specifications Revealed - Everything you NEED to know!

Well if pimax learned me one thing then it is that vr is much more than just panel spec. Distortion, feeling of presence isn’t determined by that

6 Likes

I will say even more. The current 8K should be similar to HP Reverb with 170FOV, but for some reason it does not look like.
(Pimax 4K, for example, does not interfere with native 2K resolution to look like with 4K clarity)

3 Likes

You’re probably absolutely right man. Actually it would be more like the original pimax 4K at this rate. They should name it Pimax 4k+ because then not a soul can make a comment about their marketing.

You asked for 4K we brought you 4K! Lol

4 Likes

At this time full rgb oled panels in cell phone screen sizes might not be realistic.

After all Sony’s latest 4k cell phone I believe is not even oled.

1 Like

maybe sweviver is an influencer here, you think X-Tal’s offer to sweviver to be an inside tester is in jeopardy now that he works for the competition?

@Sweviver knows the secret of XTal. and how they are able to get 100% panel utilization now.

3 Likes

Yes, 8K has a PenTile texture, and that’s his problem. (To put it bluntly, I don’t understand how it was possible to insert such panels in 8K that correspond to 2.5K clarity and SDE)

1 Like

yeah because of the pentile lcd. What rubbish bin garage sale did they find those panels anyway? Most lcds ive seen are rgb stripe by default. They had to go out of their way to find those panels

3 Likes

Oh absolutely his testing for Xtal is probably in jeopardy. I don’t think it should be, because Martin seems a very honorable man, but from a corporate standpoint, XTAL would probably take issue with it now.

4 Likes

Oh yes; Twice the full pixel count, for sqrt(2) higher resolution.

I think it is fairly established by now that the 8k panels are best described as “faux k”, when Pimax’s own most recent addition to their roster himself states it, when floating the 8kX balloon… :7

Remains just to wait and see what new fine print remains to be discovered… :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

excellent I like it! 4k+ it fits with their branding @PimaxUSA are you listening?

2 Likes

XtaL’s Secret is aspherical lenses that probably cost as much as somebody’s soul.

2 Likes

The VR industry as a whole is backing away from OLED , Pimax is truly a visionary in this department. A year and a half ago when the kickstarter was started I would never have predicted that everyone would be following Pimaxes lead on this

5 Likes

Probably, they were looking for a very long time in order to take such a desperate step and give us 8K in a form in which there is not that 8K, and even 4K does not smell there.

The current 8K = this is the Lenovo Explorer level (1440х1440 RGB LCD) in terms of SDE and clarity, I compared them face-to-face countless times.
https://community.openmr.ai/t/big-comparison-image-quality-lenovo-explorer-vs-pimax-8k-a-lot-of-photos/19066

5 Likes

Yea business has nothing to do with being a nice guy

2 Likes

When you think about it LCD displays make way better sense on Roi for the purposes of virtual reality. Even if the black levels are worse, you get the benefit of manufacturing an established technology, you get RGB stripe, and early Dev kits like dk1 proved that you could use LCD. If they could have refreshed the dk1 screen at 240fps they could have fake low persistence with black frame insertion at such a high frame rate. LOL

They could get better black levels on these fast switch LCDs if they took out the back lights and used a TN panel to make an intelligent local dimming backlight with thousands of zones.

You basically shoot a gray-scale image 2A fast switch TN panel behind your regular panel

3 Likes

the chinese can replicate anything.

2 Likes

Yes, in any case, I always preferred a true full RGB LCD to any Oled screen for VR.

4 Likes

That they can. They can also improve their own design. Pimax is a very smart company.

2 Likes

Whose soul exactly? (Just weighing my options here… :P)

4 Likes

excellent post over there, in most cases the LE looks as good as if not better than 8K

2 Likes