SweViver: Pimax 8K X Specifications Revealed - Everything you NEED to know!

Ok… About something several people are saying here…

Parallel Projections… This is on the heads of the games - not the HMD.

It is what you would need to render if you built a wide FOV headset without canted screens.

It is not the canting that creates the need for parallel projections – it is the old non-canted stuff that does, and the compatibility mode exists to make those old games still work, despite their inability to set up their cameras remotely optimally.

Now: What Pimax can do to reduce PP overhead, is to optimise the the size of the render target, so that instead of sizing it to make sure there is something to backwards project from, all the way out to the corners, you only make it large enough that it covers the parts of the screens that are actually visible through the (rounded) lenses. This should result in an ever so slightly squatter rendertarget, and also includes modifying the hidden area mask to take the PP peripheral stretching into account, rather than using the same symmetrical one as for normal canted projections. They could also add an option to allow the vertical FOV to get thinner toward the edges, which would be the effect of clamping the height of the PP viewplane to be the same as the canted one.

7 Likes

On paper a VERY interesting HMD. But unless they’ve fixed the distortion problems, I think I’ll skip. And since Pimax never even talked about the distortion problems, I don’t think they’re planning to do something about it.

4 Likes

Well @SweViver hinted at an improved distortion profile in 8K X.

Well, in general, for me personally, a wide FOV overcomes these distortions with a margin :+1:

1 Like

Sounds promising. Especially the rgb panels.
Unfortunately i wont be rushing to order one.
There are too many niggles & problems with the pimax hmds at the monent.
The fact the 5k & 8k models are still missing all accessories after all this time & the way the 8k underimpressed do not make me very optimistic.
I’d need to see working models in peoples hands first.

9 Likes

Maybe Pimax will improve the lenses; it’s the only thing that can make more use of the panels. That’s what I’d have to see.

7 Likes

In Spanish (En español)

1 Like

I think DP1.4 means that it won’t work on anything below the latest gen video cards? Well it wouldn’t make much sense anyway to try to run this on an GTX 1080 anyway. Then again I think quite a few people are still using 1080ti and they would need to upgrade I think?

4 Likes

Yes… I am by now expecting to receive my Valve Index way before ever hearing anything about any of the Pimax accessories, and given that that device will very likely turn out to altogether replace my 5k+, I begin to feel that maybe it is time to put patience to the side, and request a refund for the two items I had ordered extra with my kickstarter pledge: The hand tracking module, which was already being demonstrated in a finished-looking state during the kickstarter, and a longer cable, which one would think would have been sourced right along with the cables that are delivered with the headsets… Ho-hum.

The fact that there exists (even if it had been just the faintest shadow of one) such a thing as a discussion of which of the two looks better, is rather damning to the 8k. :7

4 Likes

Awesome news !!! Even better by the higher panel utilization.

3 Likes

so like a direct competitor spec-wise to valve index, but with only small fov option ?

a spiritual successor to the 4k?

what would they call it? the 4k2? 4.5k?

2 Likes

what do you mean…not possible in general or not possible for Pimax?

psvr has rgb stripe Oled

1 Like

Martin, you might want to suggest a monoscopic rendering mode (same image rendered to both eyes) for the 8K-X. It will save on rendering costs, and help 2080s mantain 75hz as well as 2080 TI.

Some people in some reviews have said that a monoscopic mode like this (sinilar to Vorpx’s depth buffer 3D) gave a very pleasant experience. You even mentioned Fallout 4 working well through Vorpx this way as I recall in your VORPX review

I’m so happy to hear about the displays, and the refresh rate. I think if the fov is at 150 degrees without any distortions, but utilizing 90% of the panel would make this headset the best presently available, and how awesome that is!

2 Likes

Apparently oculus is using the same , supplier of housing as pimax

17 Likes

This is not even a discussion of the difference between 8K-X and 8K, it was indicated by Pimax in Kickstarter itself.

By the way, I know what Pimax 4K is, its resolution and clarity.
It surpasses 8K, which should not be if there are real 4K LCD panels in 8K. It is a fact.

And even more so 8K should not be on a par with 5K + in terms of SDE and clarity, if it contains real 4K LCD panels.

so if in 8K X there are real LCD 4K panels, it will be far from 8K in terms of SDE and clarity.

According to the original plan, it was assumed that in 8K and 8K-X there would be identical 4K-panels.
So why Pimax does not want to put the current 8K panel in 8K X? (A good question, isn’t it, if they claim that real 4K panels are in 8K?
Expand the specifications to us then. But you will not fool your eyesight anyway.)

1 Like

Psvr is 1080p rgb oled not 4k rgb oled. 4x the difference. :smirk:

3 Likes

i know that, but he made it sound like the tech is impossible

2 Likes

It should work on all RTX cards, and probably on Radeon 7, but I thought that 1.4 was backwards compatible? Could be wrong there.

I am at least very pleased to hear that they’re trying to get the panel usage increased, and about an RGB stripe Matrix.

This is going to be a very expensive hmd though, probably $2000

If they use monoscopic rendering, they could get a solid 75 Hertz on most 2080s and 1080ti no problem.

3 Likes

Funny thing is, if the specs are legit, this headset should be like having an HPReverb at 170 FOV.

7 Likes

It depends what field of view mode they optimized for. If they optimize the lenses, and panel utilization (for normal fov where they presently lack distortion) then using more of the panel and the native resolution will do wonders for them. This has me really excited

2 Likes

They both have real 4k panels. Just one has full RGB & one does not.

We could get into a wide variety of panel types & try to define what are true full panels vs ones that folks consider not true.

4 Likes