SweViver: Pimax 8K X Specifications Revealed - Everything you NEED to know!

New Bridge chips with better support for higher res with compression.

3 Likes

With compression?
That’s mean something like: " RGB@75Hz, YUV422 @80Hz, YUV420 @90Hz"?
Serious color deterioration…

No, it means digital compressions, like DSC 1, 2 or 3.0 or multipath or even overclocked bridge chips (like many 144hz monitors out there).

3 Likes

It sounds good…
off-topic: I really like 144Hz monitors, quite smooth.

2 Likes

Yeah Exactly. DP 1.3 and DP 1.4 have the same bitrate (32 Gbit/sec), but DP 1.4 offers DSC compression, which is supposed to be ‘visually lossless’. Without that compression it would be impossible to use a single DisplayPort because of the needed bandwith.

5 Likes

@PimaxUSA @SweViver @Heliosurge @Pimax-Support

I am happy with Pimax 8K-X specifications.
However i have an advice for Pimax.
When at the end of 2017 you launched 8K campaign on the market there were 2K Headsets (Oculus/VIVE) with small FOV.
Now on the VR market there are many BIG players compared to Pimax (HP/ACER/SAMSUNG/LENOVO…)
You should raise the bar as much as possible and ASPHERICAL LENSES IS THE KEY IF THEY ARE BETTER THAN FRESNEL LENSES.
I have read: “They dramatically limit the number of headsets you can produce”
THIS IS PERFECT BECAUSE RIVALS WILL HAVE THE SAME ISSUE AND TO MAKE VOLUME THEY NEVER PUT ASPHERICAL LENSES ON THEIR HEADSETS
The commercial strategy For Pimax should be:
PIMAX 8K-X (ASPHERICAL LENSES) —> Prepayed with waiting list
PIMAX 8K+ same as Pimax 8K-X but FRESNEL LENSES —> Prepayed no waiting list
Backers 8K-X if they like aspherical lenses ask a compensation or send Pimax 8K+

Best Regards

Fabrizio Centonze

3 Likes

It’s true but delays are also bad for business. If I could get the Valve Index at the end of this month, at its release date, I would buy it for sure. But if I want to order it now I will have to wait till almost the end of this year. No way I’m going to do that, so they’ve lost me as a potential customer just because they can’t get the thing out quickly enough. So although I understand what you’re saying, the speed to get a product out also IS very important.

5 Likes

Read well
Pimax 8K+ is PIMAX 8K-X announced by SweViver
Pimax can do all the volume they want

Pimax 8K-X has ASPHERICAL LENSES: premium price and waiting list

1 Like

… and again it seems Pimax is in the late prototype phase so changing lenses now would cause a lot of delays (actually we have been here before, haven’t we?)… :smiley:

3 Likes

I am suggesting two models

1 Like

Missed that part too… :wink: :+1:

1 Like

This looks pretty cool. To go with it IMO Pimax priorities should be:

1. Make every available game work flawlessly with each headset, plug and play.
  2. Make each headset comfortable and easy to use for nearly every user, out the box.
  3. Ensure full suite of devices (controllers, basestations etc) and day one support for other peripherals in the same ecosystem (index).
  4. Make the order and delivery process fast, slick and professional.
  5. Position the company with a clear brand message and point of differentiation. For example, ‘the no compromise enthusiasts headset’ or something along those lines. Polish everything up, make sure the market positioning is consistent and works in English.

The stuff above would be a cushion allowing experimentation/development of funky new tech, but from a position of security.

2 Likes

yeah, no use DP 1.4 in index was a huge mistake.

I have a question related to the wifi module.
Would a wifi module for the 8k X be the same as a wifi module for the 8k/5k+ or the qualoty of the 8k X would need a different sort of wifi module that is even farther in time in its creation for today’s technological limits ?

1 Like

Как ты его продашь? Я свой новый 8k в Москве за 50 продать не могу. Никому не нужен пимакс

5 Hz wi fi module :space_invader:

Ха-ха в сказку попал?) Что бы они бесплатно тебе пимакс поменяли. Многовато хочешь)

Yes ! Comrade !!

Yuri will make use of this technology too.

3 Likes

Yes, this is a very sad story :smirk:

1 Like

@anon74848233 @DerekVVV @Sean.Huang @PimaxUSA @Sweviver

I strongly suggest Pimax considers using plastic aspheric lenses, like Gear VR lenses to eliminate the god rays and chromatic abberation in the 8KX.

But if Pimax maintains the decision of using fresnel lenses in the 8KX, could you consider using the Mali D77 bridge chip in the 8KX to reduce the chromatic abberation and god rays?

From: https://www.forbes.com/sites/moorinsights/2019/05/31/arms-new-mali-d77-processor-is-all-about-vr/amp/

"The D77 is a big move in that direction because it integrates functions like lens distortion correction (LDC), chromatic aberration correction (CAC), and asynchronous timewarp (ATW) into the display processor, rather than doing them on the GPU. All three of these workloads are extremely common in VR headsets and considered to be base-level features.

By integrating these fundamental VR workloads, ARM claims to reduce bandwidth by 40%. This translates to more bandwidth for processing other things. ARM also claims power savings of 12%, which frees up the GPU to do more graphics processing."

I’m not sure if these above features rely on the below mentioned multiple VR and normal display layers to be rendered, but by my calculating 1 normal layer and 1 VR layer is possible on the 8KX.

If these features the chip provides for lens distortion correction, chromatic abberation correction and asynchronous timewarp don’t require multiple layers to be rendered, I suggest Pimax considers using the Mali D77 bridge chip in the 8KX.

4 Likes