Stretch Goal idea for Kickstarter (swap able lenses for different FOV)

I simply want the high FOV. I cant see any reason for myself I would swap for lower FOV and I am sure the market is going this direction of much higher FOV headsets for Gen 2.

1 Like

Lower fov is good for a higher perceived pixel per degree.

So, something like bigscreen would have a clearer image.

I cant see any reason that I would go through the hassle of swapping lenses for specific use cases it is simply to much hassle. Let alone cleaning the lenses all the time so you wouldn’t get dust behind them.

A better fix would be a software dial for FOV or something simple along those lines. Perhaps a software dial with memory so when you launch an application it remembers for preferred FOV setting.

But then if your dialing up and down the FOV I think it would cause problems with the fixes they have in place for the current Wide FOV rendering issues and somewhat hack fixes due to SteamVR not supporting angled screens and higher than 180 degree FOV.

I think for there final headset build schedule which I believe is only a few weeks away and a December ship date this is to much to ask maybe in the next gen headsets.

1 Like

It’s safe to say that the first stretch goal is going to be a built in headphones. I am sure we will get confirmation pretty soon, but based on the fact that they mentioned that there is a hint to it on the update page, after re-reading there initial message, I would say I am very confident in this.

Would be stoked if it’s the PS style head strap with headphones

1 Like

Agreed, I have tried the PSVR and I have to say the audio is fantastic.

For anyone who doesn’t see what I mean by the hidden message on there initial update, the suscpious sentence is this:

“we already can not wait to hear from you about how do you like the headset and what you created with it.”

Big clue.

1 Like

The headset picture also includes the integrated headphones on the head strap on the update page.

How is the new prototype coming along ? Any idea when it will be ready ?

Dear Sjefdeklerk, I am the Pimax PM.
Now the internal plan has some changes,the first change is we added a new requirements: hardware IPD adustments, that took us about 2 more weeks. at the same time the China National Day holoday bothered us .Now we are trying our best to push the schedule, suppose will fix it at about 25th October.

2 Likes

This is concerning news, that doesn’t allow for a lot of time for people to review the next prototype before the end of the kickstarter. Hopefully you can get it out to some people and events in time.

@bacon Thanks for the update. Take as long as you need to make the product perfect!

Hardware IPD adjust. Awesome!

1 Like

Thanks, we’ll try our best!

yes, we are trying our best to provide more time to review.

@bacon @PimaxVR I was thinking, if you are running into scheduling issues, (running out of time via the KS) maybe you guys could do a second round of funding via gofundme or something, when you have videos and hands on with the newest prototype.

Better yet, if you have a new prototype built, maybe you could loan one out to a VR site like Road to VR for a no holds barred deep dive, (if they sign the appropriate NDA’s off course.)

Did you guys see that DK2 has been made open source? Maybe that can help you make Oculus support on Pimax even better.

Thanks, for KS time, we have confidence, it runs good so far, the schedule is under control.
yes, we would once we made a new prototype, we would provide to do more reviews.

Thanks for your informations on DK2 sources, our engineer has began to study to see what we can learn.

Thanks for the effort!

I suggest this idea on kickstater too, but not for 110 fov. Think about 220 fov with the curve lens in the future.

Regarding hardware IPD is it just the lenses being moved apart or the lenses moving closer or further from the display?

Ok sounds good but make sure you schedule reviewers in those next few days because that’s only a week before 3 november. If I don’t see reviews from trustworthy sources like ‘tested.com’ for the new prototype before 3 November I will have to cancel my pledge and I think quite a few others might do that too. It’s just too much risk at that point; in that scenario it would make much more sense to wait till the unit is available, hear what people say and then buy it.

Thanks.

If it would move away from the display it would become unfocused so I don’t think they do that. The distance between the lens en the panel should always be the same for a user.