Stretch Goal idea for Kickstarter (swap able lenses for different FOV)

@deletedpimaxrep1

I’ve been thinking, Pimax should offer (for the 8k) swap able lenses as a stretch goal, meaning a different set of lenses for variable FOV choices dependent on the use case.

Imagine if 1 set of lenses was provided for the 200 degree FOV ( the default lenses for the 8k) and another set could be created to offer a 110 degree FOV on the 8k for more current VR and media consumption.

What would be the purpose?

A second set of optics designed for 110 degree fov with the 4k screens per eye would be much more conducive to watching movies and using the HMD in VR apps like Virtual Desktop or big screen. 4k per eye at 110 degrees would mean we would really leverage the resolution of both panels, and their PPD in a way that will make the HMD suitable for monitor replacement, movies, current VR games etc.

This would also extend the life of the HMD quite significantly.

You can all see the benefit of what I’m talking about in the image below

If swappable lenses (meant for 110 degrees FOV) were provided for the 8k, each 4k screen per eye would get approximately 45 pixels per degree (a total of approximately 3 times the PPD over current HMDs. lower FOV = higher pixels per degree across both eyes. See what the smaller FOV would mean?

9 Likes

Actually this is an interesting idea. While 200 Fov is awesome for gaming, it’s horrible for (traditional, nonSBS) movie viewing where you will want a much smaller FoV.

Of course for SBS/3d movies you will want 200 degrees FoV. It’s just regular movies that are not suitable for this.

1 Like

No its suitable for all content,including 3D movies. I’m literally just suggesting that pimax provide a second set of lenses and a second distortion profile that just offers lower FOV.

So, you could still use it for all your VR content, 3D SBS content (just like with the 4k) but you would have the option of choosing a rift CV1, Vive, or Pimax 4k gen1 level FOV of 110 degrees or the 200 degree FOV.

Providing the choice has the benefit of giving you a higher PPD and perceived resolution if you choose 110 degrees. IE all those pixels wouldn’t need to be stretched over 200 degrees, so the image would be much higher res. Or, you choose the default lens and distortion profile for the full 200 degrees.

This way customers could choose. Do they want all their content to have super high resolution with a 110 degree FOV, or do they want a great 200 degree FOV with good resolution?

If the 8k is using the same panels as the 4k (or the same panel as whatever redesign of the 4k they create,) then it should be as simple as putting a pair of modular Pimax 4k lenses in the box and enabling you to choose the 4k’s distortion profile in piplay.

3 Likes

You’re right, I hadn’t even thought about that. Nice idea ! At launch NOBODY will be able to drive 2*4k at native resolution because of the needed GPU power. But with 110 FoV people would be able to enjoy that at native resolution. I’m sure it would be great fun to try, it’s something we as 4k users have been graving for, for a long time :slight_smile:

I really hope this feature is somehow feasible…sure 200 fov is a milestone, no question about it but the fact that many pixels get wasted in the pheripheral area of your eyes is a kind of missused potential to me. 110-130 Fov still makes it very immersive + you get a super crisp image with most pixels near to your central viewing area. Another possible solution would be to modify the lenses in distorting the lcd panel image to cram most of the pixels in the center, where as the outer panel area gets absorbed only with minimal pixel density which then can be software corrected to get a optimized 200 FoV viewing experience.
This all very nicely fits in the concept of Pimax aiming for a very modular headset design.

Thanks but no thanks. The big reason I’m interested in pimax is because of the fov. 110 is horrible. I’ve used a vive every day for almost two years now. Binocular view needs to be gone forever.

3 Likes

I mean this as a modular option ofcourse like the op post discribed…or the optimized 200 fov approach I outlined previously.

I mean, you said yourself you couldn’t even see pixels on the pimax 8k

I also said that the screen door effect is not a good measure in referring to image sharpness…anyway the Pimax 8K is way more sharper then any hmds I ve tried (Oculus, Vive, Microsoft MR) but 110-130 fov option would also help those guys who cant afford a beefy PC and wanna play it in 1080p.

@DaHillersen

Its amazing you gave a good review based on the current resolution/FOV of the current prototype. Its most likely 1440p upscaled. Xunshu suggests the final product will have Display port 1.4 which will run NATIVE 4k

@Davobkk
When did she promise that?

A few days ago. They avoid answering what native resolution the demos are running on the prototype

She replied they are working with their supplier to implement DP1.4 in the kickstarter model

There is absolutly NO way the protype is running native 4k on that laptop

@deletedpimaxrep1
Wait, do Kickstarter backers NOT get display port 1.4??!

The kickstarter model will have DP1.4

That’s a interesting idea, we’ll check the feasibility for the exchangeable lens structure design.

1 Like

As internal plan, the 3.0 version 8K VR prototype with Display port 1.4 is going to be ready by the end of September.

7 Likes

Do you have some info on the IPD mechanism already ?

Awesome news. This will be huge!

I have another idea for a Pimax 4k 2.0

You should go with this optical design

Using a diamond polished silvered mirror optic like this HMD

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/743553284/expanse-virtual-cinema?token=d07d452d

With this design you would trade stereoscopic 3D for monoscopic, but you would get the full resolution of the panel visible to both eyes.

The cool thing for you guys is that you have the active shutter technology in your optics already.

If you implement the above optical design combined with your active shutter glass, your 4k HMD could display full 4k @ 90 degree field of view monoscopic, or full 1440p across 90 degrees stereoscopic.

@PimaxVR @deletedpimaxrep1 @PIMAX-Support

1 Like

Thank you. We will have the engineers to check out this.