Stretch Goal idea for Kickstarter (swap able lenses for different FOV)

@deletedpimaxrep1 @PimaxVR I really would suggest the optical system used in the Expanse Virtual cinema HMD I posted in the link above given all the technical constraints you seem to be having with native resolution support.

The expanse’s silvered mirror with dielectric coating would make it easy to get great resolution on low end hardware.

See this video below to see what the optics look like in action.

1 Like

So, @PimaxVR @deletedpimaxrep1 @PIMAX-Support

Since you guys have met your goals in no time, will you give some thought to my stretch goal idea of swapable lenses for 110 degree FOV?

1 Like

I’d rather they focus on getting as best a product as they can out instead of worrying about an accessory that isn’t absolutely needed they can always in future.

They aren’t even making the best headset they could out the gate, Thats the sad part. lol

Yeah, I’m only in this for the wider FOV. No interest in swappable lenses that would sit in a drawer as a stretch goal

So you wouldnt be interested in a higher perception of resolution in apps like bigscreen?

Seems to me they were trying to make the best they could whilst trying to keep the price point reasonable. I think they tried to make a single model 8k …but that fell through when they couldn’t get DSC working with it. After the 4k non native resolution issues… i think they bit the bullet and added the 8k X to the lineup to avoid the same anger…Which is fair enough. Can’t make everyone happy but at least they are trying

No that wouldn’t interest me, but I’m not playing with it for virtual desktop, mostly just Combat sims.

I have triple 43" 4k setup for my desktop.

I like both, and I will buy one when it ships as a consumer product. That said, I think they would have been better served by doing a 4k generation 2 using the guts that are in the present prototypes.

The bridge Chip in thw 8k might not be able to run 2 4k panels natively, but it could surely do a single 4k panel at 90hz.

They could have built a 4K CV1 unit with native resolution, 110 degree FOV, lighthouse and controllers.

Sure, FOV wouldnt have been better, but PPD and every gripe we had about the 4k could have been fixed 1st.

I love the 8k, but I would buy a super polished 4k if they had built one.

Holy balls! In that case I think 8k x will be awesone for you. Have you tried air car for Oculus Rift?

Air Car? No, I’ll check it out.

Its really cool if you play music on youtube while the game plays.

8K X will be the same PPD as 4K CV1 you described but plus wider FOV. I highly doubt that decent people want this 4K CV1 when 8K X on horizon. So almost no sense for buyer to buy this and almost no sense for Pimax to develop this.
They have limited resources. I prefer they focus on polish 8K, controllers and make 8K X as soon as possible.

1 Like

My point was that 8k will be half baked until we have all the hardware and ecosystem to drive it. A polished 4k would have been the logical next step.

1 Like

No sure if you saw their post a month ago but they told us they have two separate teams working on the p4k cv2 and 8k model. Chances are they have exactly what your talking about in development but dont want to conflict with the current marketing push for the 8K. I noticed they now have an online store selling direct so I wouldn’t be surprised if they open up their range and announce somthing early next year when production ramps up

I hope you are correct and they do have a 4k unit with the 8k’s guts in development.

There would be nothing bad about a 4k 90hz 110 degree headset with lighthouse teacking if it has the current 8k bridge chip and DP 1.4.

If they had a 90hz version of the 4K, I’d buy it for sure.

Who wouldn’t? Lol The 4k already works with steam and Oculus software. If it had native 4k support at 90hz with tracking and controllers it would be amazing.

True 4k over 110 degrees would be so awesome for all current content in terms of pixels per degree that its baffling to focus on that later.

1 Like

They don’t that’s the 5k model they were talking about.

Changeable lenses is certainly a good idea, even to begin with the ease for an end user to replace if scratched! I’d be also interested in the option to change FOV. I feel I’d like something in the middle 150-160ish. So 2 or 3 options if technically feasible would be nice.

1 Like