Stretch Goal idea for Kickstarter (swap able lenses for different FOV)

They have both those options on the vive and it works fine.

Aah I get you know, you’re asking if there’s going to be a focus adjustment control. Yeah that would be nice.

Hardware. Does it move the lenses closer or further apart?

Nobody knows what their doing at this stage. Preferably it shifts the lenses and display together. They wont confirm but im sure their taking it seriously with the outcome if the review

In normal headsets I agree but I think in high FoV headsets it might be better not to move the display panels. if you put your hands in front of your eyes while your fingers touch it wouldnt make sense to move your hands apart. Only if your fingers touch you will have ‘perfect’ overlap, that’s my take on it at least.

Honestly I’m afraid this is going to be quite a challenge to get this right.

Your right @Sjef The screens are so close already. Yeah I think its obvious the IPD adjust is the tricky part for them. Hope they get it right before 3 Nov

On another note did what do you make of this screen shot? Are they using two sensors? or offering two versions of the headset?

1 Like

Two possible versions of the headset, with different chips, as an option for kickstarter backers.

1: Fit with lighthouse 1 sensors. Pro for Pimax: Uses up stock of lighthouse 1 sensors. Pro for user: Could possibly be shipped sooner. Con for user: will require Vive (v1) lighthouses.

2: Fit with lighthouse 2 sensors. Con: May ship later as v1 sensors are in stock. Pro: Will be compatible with both v1 and v2 lighthouses.

The lighthouse base stations Pimax will ship have been confirmed to be v2. So the v1 sensors are only an option for those who want the headset early and intend to complement it only with Vive gear.

There is no focus control on the Vive?

Also I hope we get to select which sensors we want, I don’t want the original sensors.

At the two ends of the straps are two huge round buttons,pull them out rotating them towards you brings the display or the lense closer giving you the 110 FOV .

If I understand correctly, then the new prototype can only be available from October 25? And is not that still a certainty? There is no way to make videos of some games using the prototype currently in use and start making them available to the public to see. We will leave the reviews for only after October 25th .I wish I could see at least one game as elite dangerous where you use a lot of texts to play to get an idea of the quality of the image, for example. For this it is not necessary to wait for the new prototype.

But this is worrying. I’m really looking forward to more compelling reviews and videos from 8K model to ensure the pledge or not.

The PiMax 8k comes with 2.0 by default. why would you want 1.0?

I want the 2.0 sensors, sorry for the confusion :slight_smile:

Carmack connect 4 keynote speech. He mentions that Oculus has experimented with high FOV lenses, but he mentions the clear tradeoff that is relevant to this thread, IE high FOV means lower pixels per degree. Stretching those pixels over 200 degrees removes a lot of the visual fidelity you would have gained.

@PimaxVR I would try the 8k with Valves 120 degree lenses. At least experiment with it to see how much clarity you can get.

This is not a focus control, it only gives you more space in case you want to use big glasses with your Vive.

I never said they were for focus control , I would just like Pimax to implement something like this so we could get our eyes Closer to the lenses if we wanted to. That’s Why some people even went so far as to remove their face Padding to get more FOV.

Just curious, human FOV is 210 degrees. PiMax 8k provides 200. I seriously doubt if you will even notice that last 10. After 180 Degrees, the remaining periphery is very nondescript. So, why bother with it?

1 Like

Very informative! still just cause A big name company Doesn’t see it beneficial to take on this challenge now ,doesn’t mean we have to fellow there train of thought, I’m American but damn! we’re so conceited, I hope pimax makes them look like fools

Human fov is around 200 to 220 degrees monocularly, PiMax fov is 200 degrees diagonally though my trigonometry isn’t good enough to do the math in my head…

works out to around 180 degrees across. still well within the margin of error. Try holding your finger in front of your eye and move it toward your periphery. remain looking forward and you will lose the importance of it after about 90 degrees (180 for both eyes). We developed the ability to only see movement that far to the side to keep us aware of danger.

Me too. I remember when Japan put the US to shame with their superior engineering in electronics. Same thing again Soon.