StarVR One Unboxing & First Impressions (MRTV)

I think he said it was a notch lower than vive pro in video.

2 Likes

The one I tried earlier this year the image was beautiful (colorful, very stable etc.) but the resolution was so low that I thought something was wrong.

I didn’t know what the actual per eye res was at the time (presumably it was a secret) but man it was low enough that obvious details on objects simply weren’t visible, that aspect was worse than almost all other headsets.

5 Likes

Take an O+ cut the res down by 30% then spread that across *double the screen area and that is effectively what it looks like.

1 Like

Honestly I don’t understand why they didn’t upgrade the panels after 2 years. It seems the easiest part of it all. Anyway, can’t wait to try it, will surely leave a review here

3 Likes

As the COO of Pimax, I don’t think you’re in a position for unbiased opinions since StarVR is a competitor to Pimax products. Even though their product is way more expensive.

Don’t worry though. I plan to keep my 8K-X pre-order because I’m looking forward to the 4K resolution.

If I decide to get the StarVR One, it’ll be in addition to the 8KX

4 Likes

I wasn’t under NDA when I tried it but I literally walked away thinking the device or demo was broken.

Actually I want them to do well, all VR companies need to do well. A $3,200 device that isn’t really compatible with SteamVR isn’t a competitor but has some very cool, very specific use cases. I think they can find a niche in simulations where resolution is not important.

Our space has all sorts of room for many headset types for many purposes. Right now the “holy grail” just isnt’ possible yet and perhaps won’t be for quite some time. But we all should work together to at least try to cumulatively get there.

PS: I could have written about the StarVR long ago but didn’t until others pointed out the same concerns. I didn’t want to negatively impact them.

10 Likes

That’s odd. Both MRTV and VoodooDE back then said it was by far the best VR they’d ever tried. Of course resolutions got better in the last 2 years, but I’d be disappointed if it was as bad as you say. Looking forward to mrtv’s review and trying it myself soon!

2 Likes

Don’t misunderstand me, I didn’t think it was “bad”, I thought the image was beautiful and the FOV amazing. The level of detail was very low (like Rift S or less) and for some reason the frame rate was low as well (probably because of the split design).

I imagine the perception of “fog” etc. in many cases is just it’s such a low resolution spread across such a large area.

4 Likes

Per my other post, I think @PimaxUSA’s conclusion’s on the resolution are valid. Such a larger FOV could easily amount to the ~40% decreased linear angular resolution needed to sink from what would be expected for a device with a vertical resolution equivalent to a 5k+, to something like a DK2.

1 Like

Does your math take into account the 16 million RGB subpixels in the StarVR and custom designed lenses?

Looking at Sebastian’s short through the lens video, the StarVR seems sharp in Half Life Alyx.

1 Like

Custom designed lenses, no. The subpixels, yes, of course.

1 Like

Keep in mind the StarVR also includes eye tracking which sharpens the image wherever the user gazes upon so that probably helps in terms of resolution.

Only up to a Total SR of about 4x. Beyond that, there ceases to be any perceptible difference in visual quality or readability. Just try cranking up render quality and supersampling as high as possible with something lightweight like Virtual Desktop.

3 Likes

Eye tracking does not “sharpen” the image where you look. DFR reduces the resolution where you aren’t looking. The area where you look is whatever you set the baseline to be. Now you can use the extra FPS to increase the overall baseline thought but with such an incredibly low resolution the StarVR probably doesn’t benefit from that.

2 Likes

I think that depends on the point of view.
Look at the VRSS. It really sharpens center area. Who knows if StarVR increase the resolution where you look?

You can’t get past the natural PPI that can be produced by the panels. In fact the lower the PPI the less you can do with SS because there is insufficient pixels for it. Spreading across such a wide FOV might have made it necessary for them to go the diffusion route because it would also exaggerate the pixel gaps.

What do you mean the StarVR is not compatible with Steam VR?

I said isn’t “really” compatible. This style of design requires all sorts of driver changes sometimes on a daily basis just to maintain useful levels compatibility. Even small game patches will likely effect it. We estimated to maintain game level compatibility it would take an army when we tried it.

2 Likes

Yes, and no. Technically yes, knowing the difficulties of transforming the data from 4 cameras down to two, also being mindful of parallel projections sure is the recipe for all sort of issues. Especially with the general content for the headset, but not sure the shortcoming come from the inability. It may be more by target design. I will clarify, StarVR works fine with the majority of things I have tested. Granted, I am not a big gamer, but a content creator.

StarVR could be targeted as a consumer headset if it were the target market. It wasn’t from the get go. As it is, it is more compatible that I had expected.

1 Like