StarVR One Unboxing & First Impressions (MRTV)

Look, is an awesome Fov, just that weird dirt layer crippling clarity and the slight blurriness that is hindering the unit. Sebastian got some files that calibrated his headset. I have communicated this to support for those files. But is not a gaming headset

4 Likes

Is possible that it has some filter to remove the SDE?

Is possible, I have thread on the StarVR and have mentioned the possibility. But I won’t know until I can get the headset properly calibrated

2 Likes

its obvious its not worth more than double the 8KX but they don’t sell to consumers anyway so people can’t buy it, but its good to see future headset with this FOV in this compact shape, it shows what we will get 5 years from now with more res.

5 Likes

I think the biggest take away here is that it already IS possible to create a distortion free image over such a wide FoV. Now all they need to do is replace the panels with some higher res ones, but that’s quite trivial. I have hopes that once the new gen GPU’s come out, they might not wait too long with a new version. Also hopefully other companies will try to reverse engineer those lenses in order to help them also achieve that wide FoV without distortion.

So yes, if anything, the StarVR should give everybody hope for good ultra wide FoV in the not so distant future.

9 Likes

:slight_smile: I believe 4 is quite a bit too low of a sample size to make this kind of generalization. What I can tell you is that I personally cannot see them at all and that is amazing. But just like with all things VR headsets, head shapes are different and other people might see them.

7 Likes

I am just checking out Alyx right now. Really nice! Also took some through the lens video and posted on twitter. Probably @VR-TECH and @john2910 can compare if they see this or if their picture is way more blurry. I don’t have a blurry picture, just less resolution than Index & Co.

Here is the video: https://twitter.com/mixedrealityTV/status/1264218981952561158

9 Likes

:slight_smile: Yeah, and it is funny to see how much energy he puts into his little Vendetta! :slight_smile:

6 Likes

But from the ratio of known users here, is correct

Alyx is a blurry mess on my end

2 Likes

Wow, that looks good!! Way above my expectations, that were pretty low due to @VR-TECH 's and @john2910’s comments about blur

1 Like

Given the price range and demographic, I take it the device is thoroughly secured against moisture ingress?

1 Like

Still no word from StarVR about your calibration files?

StarVR never reply on weekends. So I expect a reply by Monday. Im kind of pissed by this issue after knowing about that usb

5 Likes

But it is statistically insignificant. :slight_smile: If sample size is too small, you may include a disproportionate number of individuals which are outliers and anomalies. These skew the results and then you don’t get a fair picture of the whole population.

But that’s statistics 101. I believe we can all agree that the FOV is HUGE and that the StarVR One is just a great accomplishment, showing that these kind of huge FOVs are possible with 0 distortion, even if this particular device is not meant for us gamers!

Alright, gotta get back to making some videos, talk to you soon!

6 Likes

Yeah it makes no sense at all … Why would they ship out uncalibrated devices …

2 Likes

Sebastian is ok, glad you don’t see the borders. But many others will. You are the only lucky one that can’t so far. The FOV is great and is best in class.

But StarVR should fix this nonsense of not sending the proper calibration file to paying customers

11 Likes

Would you say the resolution is slightly lower or much lower than the Index? What’s the closest headset you would compare this to, resolution wise? Can you read details up close in Alyx, like on your gun?

1 Like

The StarVR PPI has got to be lower than even the Playstation VR. The StarVR is just 1830 x 1464 per eye spread across 210 degrees H.

The StarVR might literally be the lowest resolution VR headset on the market.

The old Oculus DK2 was 960 x 1080 per eye over 100 degrees H and this is 1830 x 1464 over 210 degrees H. Heck the DK2 actually has higher horizontal and vertical PPI than the StarVR.

That’s a big piece of bread with only a tiny amount of butter to cover it.

2 Likes

Human vision has 120 degrees binocular overlap. Older headsets like the Vive og have almost 100% binocular overlap. (extremely) wide FoV headsets like the StarVR have probably only about 50% overlap, so you’d need much less PPD for the same experience. Besides, StarVR developed their own panels, so 100% panel utilization is achieved. Pimax just buys existing panels, which generally will cause less panel utilization.

Can’t wait to try mine wednesday. I’m sure the resolution won’t be as good as the Index or the Pimaxes, but I’d be surprised if the resolution wouldn’t even match the PSVR.

2 Likes