StarVR One Unboxing & First Impressions (MRTV)

Imagine the backlash if we charged 450% more money and still force you into “Potato” fov mode just to play beatsaber? Imagine if we reduced the resolution by 65% what the reaction would be. Make no mistake we would get excoriated.

4 Likes

Now you know why is not sold to gamers and they go through a vetting process

4 Likes

Imagine the backlash of taking 8KX pre-order money 8 months early and still not knowing when the headsets will ship :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

You should read the backstory for StarVR… It reads like a spy novel full of intrigue, crime and more.

There are several chapters to the story of starVR. Chapter one Feb-March of 2013 at the lands of “Meant to be seen in 3d” website, a young lad by the sudo name of Foisi created the Infiniteye v.1 etc…

1 Like

If only you could combine the FOV and colors of StarVR One with the 4K resolution of the 8KX and with a wireless adapter. That would be the perfect headset.

2 Likes

Indeed… and a better vertical view…

As explained in my post in the other thread: https://community.openmr.ai/t/calculating-the-resolution-of-the-starvr-one/28109/8?u=djonko I don’t think the resolution is as bad as some here make it seem. However yeah agreed, I also had wished they’d upped the res. Especially with the new gen GPU’s coming up.

4 Likes

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Calculating the resolution of the StarVR One

@mixedrealityTV is your next video coming soon? How long did StarVR loan you the headset?

Do you work for Pimax or are you just a Simple fan?
If you want answer. I’m curious, since your post begins with a lie. Sebastian said there is no audio integrated into StarVR.

2 Likes

Lo scrivo in Italiano così lo capisce solo lui, è veramente patetico.

New video out by Sebastian!

Around 6 minute mark Sebastian says apparently the way StarVR fixed distortions is by working on the display first and the lenses last. They have each individual headset optimized.

2 Likes

OK, I have already mentioned on a different thread my view regarding the StarVR ONE FOV. Since Sebastian shared his view on his latest video, I will share a drawing I made of what I see, and likely the other 3 users that I know tried the headset as well.

Note: Sebastian likely have a head shape which help avoid/block the borders. But my personal view, you will likely see peripheral black borders

1. Red Border= The entire human vision
  2. Dark Blue lines= Represent the borders for the StarVR One
  3. Purple Lines= Pimax Boarders

Sebastian just uploaded an Alyx video and it seems that the many game engines of today are coded for 120 deg fov at max and cull anything outside the field of view. The StarVR openVR integration is apparently now smooth and is capable of rendering the four viewports pretty seamlessly. So I guess now its on devs in implement code engine side to cater to high FOV displays.
It also seems my prior comment on mrtv-starvr-one-costs-3200-openvr-compatible about eye tracking being necessary for their distortion free rendering is only partially correct as Sebastian contacted StarVR team and they told that the lenses were made after the display assembly was finalized making the optics specifically for their displays. This is of course great news, but also does not bode well for anyone hoping to make their own high fov vr hmd at home with even a reasonable budget.

1 Like

I’d say it’s a bit of both. As you mentioned many game engines are designed around a max FoV 120 culling objects outside of 120. Much like the shortsightedness of Y2k bug.

The game engines aren’t limited to 120FOV, specifically not Unity at least. In Unitys case, its the SteamVR/OpenVR libraries player camera that sets the limit for the FOV by default, which you can go around with known tweaks.
Im currently messing around in Unity using Pimax’s own SDK for Unity with its own PVR camera, and it does not cull anything on large FOV

1 Like

Too bad the Unity plugin is outdated for an old version of unity released 2 years ago like the Unreal plugin.

Or have they finally released an updated sdk as many DeVs have been requesting for a long time. Which is why they had requested up to date sdks when suggested to use the OpenVR SDK instead.

Unity in there newer releases have said it is up to pimax to fix.

1 Like

We have engineers working on an updated SDK. I have pushed for this for quite some time now, and several developers Ive met are also waiting for the update.

The current (old) SDK works quite OK with latest 2019. Unity , but it lacks support for FFR and the performance is not as good as it could be.

4 Likes

That’s good as that makes it at least 4 of us that have pushed for this. As many DeVs would like to be able to advert “Optimized For Pimax” and have not been able to do so. This is one of the key stones needed to help pimax gain stronger adoption.

One DeV I know had to abandon developing for pimax on his last project because of this. He was not happy having to use a Vive Pro.

3 Likes