StarVR One Unboxing & First Impressions (MRTV)

Hi,

here is my unboxing & first impressions video of the StarVR One:

TLDW: widest FOV on the market and truly no distortions, cannot see any black borders on the right and left at all. Form factor is smaller than anticipated, device is lighter than Index and smaller than Pimax, despite the FOV advantage. Picture quality was impaired first, needed to install several config files (“Display Optimization”) that came on a USB stick. After the installation, the problems were solved. Resolution cannot compare with Pimax 8K X or Index, but it is still acceptable due to the extreme FOV without distortions and vibrant colors. For a more thorough analysis and game compatibility, wait for upcoming videos.

Sincerely, Sebastian

13 Likes

Not seeing black border is not exactly accurate. Yes, you can see borders, and they noticeable but they are non intrusive and sort of disappear as you are within the content.

5 Likes

I guess this totally depends on how your individual human FOV matches the HMD FOV.

4 Likes

indeed,and the vertical field off view is lower…

3 Likes

Yes, I suppose that’s it. I do not see any borders at all on the right and left (as stated).

5 Likes

He has an IPD of 64.8mm, so basically very close to the average of 64mm. Maybe that’s why Sebastian sees no borders. Also, I am amazed by what the Tobi-Eye Tracker supports regarding the measurement functions too. +1 for that video Sebastian, as always! :smile:

If Pimax had their ready-to-go Software integration (which is the biggest hurdle from what I can tell, it’s the question I’m always getting asked again and again in the IL-2 community), then who could beat them?

3 Likes

but vertical FOV is lower than all other headsets?

Nope, it’s not. It is just not as extreme as the horizontal FOV. I will measure and let you guys know.

2 Likes

The vertical field off view off the valve index feels bigger for me for sure…

@mixedrealityTV

Weight

Did you forget to tell that StarVR One does not have an audio solution ? So what was your aim when you have compared accurately the weight of StarVR One, Valve Index and Pimax 8K X ?
It’ s like comparing an apple with two pears

FOV, Distorsions and RESOLUTION

StarVR One have made a good work with FOV and distorsions but this headset costs $3200
Instead Pimax is a platform for consumer large FOV headset costing

Artisan $449
5K PLUS $699
5K XR $899
8K plus $899
8K X $1299

and don’t have eye tracking for now

I am sitting in front of my 27 Monitor and i have at my left a big hp printer
The printer is at about 180, if i move my eyes i see the printer,
it’s not correct i see the shape of part of the printer (where is the display)
for few seconds because it’s hard to move so much my eyes
If you replace 10 at left and 10 at right with a black zone you have PIMAX LARGE FOV
If you replace 20 at left and 20 at right with a black zone you have PIMAX NORMAL FOV

and you know how much big is the FOV gaming at 140

What is better 3200$ StarVR One useless extreme FOV Or $1300 Pimax 8K X resolution ?

But at $3200 you said StarVR One is really really incredible …
:rofl:

“Some of the objects stop to render when they are in the peripheral vision”
:rofl:

really really laughing of your first impressions of StarVR One
:smiley:

Are you in your MRTV Headquarter’s ? Yes, you are
:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

CONFIGURATION

Rift/Rift/S GAME

cpu I7 8700K gpu 1070 The walking dead
cpu I7 8700 gpu 1080 Stormland
cpu I7 7700 gpu 1080 Asgard Wrath

Since you tell you are a a reviewer I don’t know how you thought to make a review of Pimax 8K X (that should work at the recommended resolution to apply the distorsion profile) with your old PC
If the PC is slow for that resolution/game , you will have issues moving Head in your vision.
It’s not that Index 120 hz are better than 8K X 75 hz,
It’s your PC

Pimax 8K X is not RIFT S

@PimaxUSA

@SweViver PC is the recommended configuration for native Pimax 8K X

No one buy Pimax 8K X to play fruit ninja

2 Likes

It is possible to your face shape. But the borders are there and very obvious on the bottom. They are better than Pimax for sure, but you can feel them.

3 Likes

You can feel the StarVR to be much more premium than the Pimax Headsets. They have more technology inside, more expensive displays, eye tracking, smaller form factor, better straps, etc…

The headset was not design as a consumer product from the get go.

3 Likes

The human horizontal FOV is between 210 and 220º, so it depends on each one. StarVR’s FOV is “only” 210º.

To be fair to Sebastian. When you are just looking straight forward you sort of can’t notice the borders. However, because naturally we move our eyes then you can see very “little” borders on the peripheral view. It is on the nose and cheek area where they are the most noticeable.

2 Likes

This guy @Fabrizio hates MRTV for some reason, he seems to think that MRTV is on a mission to destroy Pimax and that it’s his holy mission to defend Pimax against MRTV.

Better just ignore. StarVR targets a completely different market than Pimax anyway

4 Likes

The vast majority of people will not see black lines on the sides, but a certain percentage will in any case.
It’s good enough for me, especially if it’s not distorted.

1 Like

I will say the opposite, the majority will see them. Voodoode saw some borders and john who had a unit also saw them, I saw them. Only Sebastian doesn’t. So that tell you that the majority will see them

2 Likes

If it really has 210º of horizontal FOV, it shouldn’t be like this.
I correct, most people exceed 210º, although by very few degrees, so yes, everyone should see black lines but very much at the edge of their field of vision.

Human vision is more like 220. Your eyes aren’t static. And If it were 210, then the headset is not the claimed Fov. It is wider than the Pimax

I correct, most people exceed 210º, although by very few degrees, so yes, everyone should see black lines but very much at the edge of their field of vision.