StarVR One is available now for enterprise customers!

Yep…
:+1:

1 Like

It will be around 2900 euro i think…
But we can cancel our pimax 8kx order…

I am eager to see results of StarVR’s claimed spec of 210° wide verified as a protracter suggests that is unlikely legit. Especially since this claim has existed since og StarVR.

The colors should indeed pop no contest there. But having downgraded the Res considerably from their og 5k will have downsides especially if it indeed is truly wider than pimax’s legit Large FoV at 160° wide as verified by rendering requested FoV.

2 Likes

Indeed if your going to pay that much why not wait for the upcoming Xtal 8k model(yes at ces I believe they called it 8k!) :laughing:

1 Like

So it’s “out” but you can’t actually buy it, find retailer that has it listed, or even find a price. The words “released” and “out” seem to be being bastardized (at least in the VR world).

2 Likes

None of us are worried here really. Just out of curiosity, hence the headset will lack the high resolution, I really wonder why they go for enterprise instead of gamers (enterprise screams for high resolution VR), and what the price will be.

2 Likes

As a VR enthusiasts more than a Pimax employee,
Im just very curious here, there’s nothing wrong with that. And at the same time a bit confused over the specs, at least until we know the price.

If this is a 999 or maximum 1499 USD headset, sure it makes sence, but most likely only for gamers and not enterprise. Calculating the PPI having the resolution and FOV in mind, its sounds like a device with more SDE than Valve Index, maybe similar to 5K+. Sure they could have added the anti-SDE filter like O+ has, but it wont help enterprise customers which all requires a resolution at least better than Valve Index.

4 Likes

The first official 8KX final units are currently being assembled. They do exist.

Wireless solutions are in the works, but considering the high bandwidth/resolutions, no 4K VR headsets like 8KX will go wireless (with native signal) anytime soon, unless the technology improves.

7 Likes

…while bending forward to be able to even read the gauges :wink:

Joke aside, the StarVR might be a nice unit after all, but flight and racing simmers in general would probably be the last ones to care more about black levels than resolution.

3 Likes

That’s an easy one to answer. As Marek if you recall talked about that. High price equals lower volume that helps ensure more time put into ensuring quality with more time to test each headset. Enterprise your selling support and higher levels of quality testing. I am sure StarVR One will have more than a 1 year warranty and options to pay a premium to extend it.

Why else is Marek now working on an 8k Xtal. :beers::wink::vulcan_salute::sparkles:

Just ordered one. Waiting for the invoice with price

9 Likes

Ok. Speaking as a VR enthusiast here: The day there’s anyone out there who truly prefers the Valve Index image quality over the 8KX (which by the way even MRTV Sebastian doesn’t), I will start to grow my hair again. No Im serious :slight_smile:

Thing is, until you have tried these two side by side, there is no way you can even imagine the difference. The day you get the chance to do so, you will understand. Meanwhile, I’m not gonna try to convince you. There’s no point doing so.

And btw no stress here, so dont worry. Great things coming the upcoming weeks and its all very exciting. Soon you will also know.

6 Likes

Shouldn’t Pimax them self s be trying to get hold of one, so they can see what they can gain from it ?

1 Like

Great to hear! A gentle nod towards this proposal: https://community.openmr.ai/t/is-production-expected-to-quickly-ramp-up-after-the-first-100-pimax-8k-x-units/26849/9?u=noamloop
Would such a status report be in the cards?
That would help people who consider to preorder a 8k-X what they can expect time wise.

For me PPD > FoV in general. Don’t really understand why the StartVR guys didn’t put a higher res panel into the HMD as they seem to have nailed the distortion thing with eye tracking (that could also be used for DFR).
A one-side upgrade one-side downgrade might be a harder sell for owners of existing, modern HMDs than a “best of everything” solution, particularly if the price is high already, anyways.

4 Likes

I look forward to seeing that MRTV episode. Though I am sure as he has said it depends on the content being experienced to which headsets he prefers. As I am sure Lucky likely uses a variety of headsets depending on what he is doing. (And because he can :smirk:).

From what I have seen you don’t look bad with hair. :upside_down_face:

6 Likes

StarVR One Specs

• Panel – 2 x 4.77” AMOLED
  • Display resolution – 1,830 × 1,464 per lens resolution, total 16 million sub-pixels
  • Refresh rate – 90Hz low persistence
  • Lens type – Custom Fresnel lenses
  • Field of view – 210-degree horizontal FOV, 130-degree vertical FOV
  • Eye-tracking – Fully integrated Tobii eye-tracking, including Dynamic Foveated Rendering
  • IPD measurement – in-software solution
  • Tracking – SteamVR tracking 2.0 up to two Base Stations
  • Connectivity – 2 x 0.9m Type-C cables, 2 x 5m Type-C extension cables, 1 x 3.5mm stereo headphone jack with microphone
  • Port requirements – 2 x DisplayPort, 2 x USB 2.0
  • Total cable length – 5.9m

Minimum System Requirements

• Operating system – Windows 10 64bits
  • Processor – Intel core i7-7700
  • Memory – 16GB
  • Graphics – NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti or NVIDIA Quadro RTX5000/dedicated internal graphics card
6 Likes

It is not only about the picture quality though. Yes, Seb said that the picture quality of the 8KX, or to be more specific, the SDE, FoV and resolution is better than the Index but he still preferred the package of the Index. Which, in his case is probably in part because of the distortion wobbly thing he sees not so many others suffer from.

But what I was trying to say is that there will inevitably be users who will value the Index over the 8KX for some of its advantages, even assuming they are completely unbiased, things are often depending on use case, personal preferences & sensibilities etc… And then of course the hard fact is that the Index is half the price of the 8KX which again will likely be half the price of the StarVR.

So each user will come up with their own result when evaluating all of the different aspects, and I don’t expect it to be a complete blow-out win for the 8KX, if that is what you mean.

By the way, I already had the chance to compare the Index to the 8K+ Sebastian had, back in October. Unfortunately the 8K+ had some kind of issue which meant that the far sight in Assetto Corsa was quite blurry, so we abandoned it quickly as I felt it was not going to be a good representation of what it could be like. However, in the limited time I could see that the SDE of the 8K+ was almost invisible, while the Index was surprisingly good for its lower resolution, but not at the same level - even the Reverb showed slightly more SDE than the 8K+.

But as I said, there are more factors than just FoV, resolution and SDE, although these three for sure are important ones.

Who knows what experience the StarVR will offer, but if the price is around 3K, not many will experience it.

4 Likes

Why? Which other wide FoV headsets without distortion exist? Even the XTAL has noticeable distortion. I’d pay up to 3000 eur for the StarVR. If it comes in over that, not sure. We’ll see, filled out the form, hoping to get an invoice soon.

2 Likes

I might buy one just out of curiosity and comparison. Depends highly on price. If this was a 4K per eye unit, it would be much more interesting though…

Thats the plan and I have no doubts the production will scale up quickly just like it did with 5K+, as long as we dont find any unexpected problems with the first batch.

7 Likes

Thats my point. If XTAL couldn’t solve “all” the distortion with aspherical lenses and a unit for 9K USD, I have my doubts any unit for 3K USD will. At least with Fresnel lenses. And 200+ FOV.

Im not sensitive to edge distortion, so I dont really mind, but if you are looking for perfection with human eye FOV, you might save these 3K USD for another 3 years, Im afraid.

1 Like