StarVR One is available now for enterprise customers!

I’m surprised they switched from aspheric to fresnel lenses.

7 Likes

Let’s have a look!!!

Panel
2 x 4.77” AMOLED
Display resolution
16 million sub-pixels
Refresh rate
90Hz low persistence

Something is missing!!!

What is it ?

:joy:

They did not change, they were also Fresnel when I tried them a year ago.

4 Likes

So does anyone know anything about the price?

Having in mind its low res for such wide FOV, AMOLED panels (pentile?) and no audio, I guess its a 999 USD device at most?

1 Like

Don’t you think they should include high end lenses for a $3,200 base unit? Also after Starbreeze filed for Chap 11 it seems they were in serious trouble via both legal and other issues.

It seems now they at least exist again which is great but it will be interesting if they can really release anything in quantity.

2 Likes

Previously, they claimed a resolution of 1830x1464 per eye = 2,679,120 pixels, or about 5.35 million in both eyes. Given the RGB structure, multiply by 3 and get 16 million sub-pixels, which they indicated.

Well, they were shy, apparently, a bit of such a resolution, they decided to specify as many millions of sub-pixels. This is such an interesting marketing: in sub-pixels no one has yet guessed to indicate the resolution of the VR headset … :smirk:

7 Likes

It will be expensive…but the pimax 8kx is also expensive for a lcd screen vr headset…

So it will cost more as the pimax 8kx,but it will be worth it…trust me!

1 Like

No they developed proprietary RGB panels. End of the day its only available for enterprise so no need for you guys to worry :grinning:

2 Likes

No wonder they hide the actual resolution on their spec sheet.

2 Likes

Hmm

How many subpixel has Pimax 8K X ?

Sorry, My calculator is off the scale :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

In this case 8KX and 8K + have about 50 million subpixels :beers:

6 Likes

Wow, how responsive Pimax can be… hardly is a potential competitor being mentioned and zzippp! - here they come… /s

Guys, relax, hardly anyone will dish out the price they are asking, surely not for having that low number of horizontal pixels spread out over 210°. I left my og Vive/Rift CV1 behind me and didn’t intend to return to that kind of PPI.

Kind of cheap to make that “prob 999,- or what is it” remarks, if you exactly know what it costs.

And yes, they made a rather embarrassing move on the marketing side by stating 16 mln. sub-pixels. However, sitting in the glass-house of “8K” one perhaps should lay down the stone rather than throw it, agreed ?

14 Likes

Could you imagine a night flight with xplane 11,and landing on a airport…
It would be amazing with that kind off blacks in combination with the field off view…

So come on star vr one!

1 Like

Well, please get one if you can spare the change and let us know how it performs !

I personally admittedly am highly sceptical but of course would love to read about it from somebody who has no vested interests, being neither a spokes person for them nor with a vivid interest in being served exclusive or early insights and free-of-charge samples for reviews… not tyring to blast those guys buit there is always a danger of a conflict of interest polluting the unbiased approach…

1 Like

@Axacuatl I think Star VR is the last headset Pimax need to worry about. A Samsung headset with 4K OLED or the G2 could be much larger competition expecially at the price point

3 Likes

So automatic eye tracking IPD and distortion profile are free then ?
Why dose Pimax charge so much for the eye tracking then ?

9 Likes

It’s available as in no one will actually own one. I like to hope I’m absolutely wrong but I’m thinking it’s closer to XTAL Price range which means no one you know would own one.

3 Likes

It was meant to be a cheeky remark, not more. Admittedly not very fitting, given that the comparison between the Index and the new 8K isn’t all that favourable to Pimax either with coming in at double the price for the bump in resolution and FoV but hey, if there is a market for it, why not. Same goes for the StarVR - I am certainly not the targetted audience because I am not even convinced that it would be my choice at the same price as the 8KX, but I guess there will be people who would say the same about the Index vs. 8KX (actually, in the case of MRTV there already is one).

It’s in the eye of the beholder, and the industry should not start to throw dirt at each other, at least not if you are officially related to a company like Marcin and Kevin are. Doesn’t look very professional in general, and even less so in a small emerging industry where it would be wise to also cooperate in parts - but they are under quite some stress, you can tell.

In any case they should rather focus on Pimax’ own performance, would be my suggestion. Got a lot of work on that front, that’s for certain.

5 Likes

Yes no doubt it`s gona be expensive, it is aimed at the high end market, bit like pimax 8KX.

1 Like

I think it’s gonna be MUCH more expensive.

We’ll see anyways, I hope I’m wrong. No one here has an ‘official working’ 8KX yet. I’m also curious to see if they have a wireless solution since if you’re forking out that much money and still being wired. WHY!?!?!?!

3 Likes