STAR WARS: Squadrons Discussion

All right all right calm down man. I wasn’t accusing you, was just making sure and trying to get a fix for you.

4 Likes

The bug report forum is here: https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/bd-p/star-wars-squadrons-bug-reports-en , if nobody else has posted by the time i get a chance to test it myself tonight and gain some specificity on exactly which effects are broken without PP I will make the report.

otherwise whoever does it first paste the link here so we can pile on and vote/reply!

2 Likes

if you read through the Steam reviews, other HMDs also have their problems.
The control should also not make sense.

Can not test, only read some things this days :confused:

1 Like

yes i do wonder if he’s not just upset at the frame pacing/vsync problem everyone is having as much as he is about the pp penalty

And he’s not wrong that Pimax should deal with all devs proactively to stop PP being needed.

3 Likes

yeah, EA was probably afraid of losing his “good reputation”.

that’s a fact. pimax should be actively working with studios especially on AAA games to ensure their developers have the knowledge and tools they need to not ship broken code even if that means pimax paying for it!

i would expect @PimaxUSA to be the one spearheading that effort by now, sure maybe make a “consortium” of manufacturers of hmd’s with canted screens than can combine their influence. vr is young and i work with lots of experienced devs that just dont think about these things, they dont even have their own headset at home they’re just grinding 8 hours a day with a rift-s next to them at the office and if it works on that they close the ticket and move on.

until then we users have to make bug reports and re-open those tickets

3 Likes

Also Xtal, StarVR and any other, who will go to wide FOV…
but wait, ohh, wide FOV are to expensive for the big Companies.

2 Likes

PP looks bad in every game.

It’s the opposite of a sharp picture. The max sharpness you can get from it is on 5K+ levels. Even if you ramp up resolution.

So it is a Pimax problem, it’s not exclusively tied to SW Sq.

Fire up your 8KX and try it. Tell me how you can produce a sharp picture in any game.

Yeah, maxRR is on 16K already.

No, it’s a game programming problem.
Parallel projection is the only way to use these “bad” games at all.
PP is a Hack.

The alternative has StarVR, they don’t even run there.
Incompatible

1 Like

So does the skybox look better on the Index?
It really is pretty bad in the 8KX.

There are a large number of complaints from Index and Rift S owners with high end pc’s complaining on Steam about frame rates and other anomalies. SWS is only 60% positive at the moment.

Typically they will put out a series of patches that will improve it.

1 Like

I was so excited to play STAR WARS: Squadrons on 8KX … but if it is worse experience than Index due to parallel projections … then guess I’ll have to wait for Reverb G2.

1 Like

Please contact EA … send then a few 8KXs and give them technical guidance so they can make it not require parallel projections.

2 Likes

If Valve couldn’t convince them to optimize and not use PP how would I achieve this exactly?

7 Likes

So is there a way to hack the engine itself? Then we can’t play MP for getting banned, right?

the hack would be to write EA, which is crap and avoid the game as long as it is.

I don’t know if Valve are even trying though, I think they just take the (in their case) 5% hit.

2 Likes

I liked the idea of building a consortium of canted screen manufacturers including valve to provide training and resources to studios , all they have to do is fix their code to work on an index with their pp disabled and it would also work on pimax, starvr, etc

5 Likes

One of you can possibly try this, even though we’re playing in VR.

“Sorted mine by forcing v-sync in nvidia control panel custom profile, then setting it to no v-sync ingame. 2080 at 2k + 135% super-sampling using g-sync with a steady 165hz/fps with zero stuttering or issues. Once I got it running well it was a surprisingly well optimized game. Hopefully this helps a few folks…”

“Go to your Documents, look for the squadrons folder and edit the files BootOptions and ProfileOptions_profile with any text editor. Look for GstRender.EnableDX12 and set it to 1 in both files. Idk if this helps with VR but it made the game a lot smoother for me. Also make sure HDR is disable ingame, if your headset cannot do HDR.”

2 Likes