STAR WARS: Squadrons Discussion

obs has an openvr plugin is that failing for you?

Streaming doesn’t work on the combination of Pimax + SW squadrons as PP is required :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

Is it me or does the pixel density reduce drastically with PP=On?
I usually never use that.

@NextGenVR we need you!

2 Likes

The output framerate from the OpenVR plugin is very bad.

there are plenty of headsets with canted screens this isnt only a pimax problem, index users enable and disable their parallel projection modes also for performance reasons same as we do

I’ve played the prologue & first mission and still seemed smooth to me.

I have a 5k+ and RTX 2080 so maybe because it’s pushing less pixels?
“Screen settings” = ‘borderless’ (options below that grey out)
Parallel projections on i.e. purple led & flashing chevron
I’ve left “Graphics Quality VR” to the default which is ‘auto’, so maybe it’s dropping to low.

Can you get smooth at all by choosing auto/low?
I could bump up to ultra to see if I can break it?

My 3090 FE got rescheduled for delivery tomorrow. I’ll test the game out and provide results with my 8KX once I have it.

2 Likes

Needs some patching, but this is amazing so far. Flight is a great mix of sim and arcade, and the combat feels really good. Performance isn’t the best, but I was playing on a laptop with an rtx 2060 so I didn’t have high expectations.

The lighting and texturework inside of the cockpit is amazing, very immersive. I think this is definitely worth the money

2 Likes

I need to double check if it worked in VR or not. I wasn’t in game for too long last night just wanted to check it out. Will do it later today.

I think I needed to set fullscreen on pancake because it wouldn’t let me change the resolution otherwise, and to start with it was cutting off part of the screen on the default lower res. Bit sloppy but I’m sure they’ll patch that. All fine once I set to 1440p to match my monitor.

1 Like

It doesn’t work properly on ultra wide screen monitors, I found out. Luckily I still had a native 1080p.

I am setting it up right now.

The issue remains that with PP=ON the graphics don’t look sharp anymore! Even with higher pixel amount than without PP.

1 Like

there is significant overdraw necessary for parallel projection mode, thats why we dont like it. expect to lose 30% of your fps turning PP on and boosting your render scale to compensate fully.

Here’s a thread with some visualizaiton: https://community.openmr.ai/t/pimax-5k-parallel-projection-ham-mod/22952 , funny enough that thread is a year old and includes some detailed advice for some free optimization to how pitool handle PP… does anyone know if these optimizations ever made it in to the driver?

That sounds good. How can we use it, is there a way to download it ?

Because, as a result, currently SW Sq looks better on the Index than on the 8KX. :sneezing_face: :cry: And I got a 3080, which gets tortured by PP=on on medium FOV with 2900p vertical even.

Errr, wanted to buy it this evening but I’m hesitating now…

As I had feared it’s just horrible on my 2080 Ti + 8700K + Pimax 5K+ !!! The performance is atrocious and even if I am a 90 fps (with terrible resolution, FOV etc…) it feels stuttery!! Good job as always EA!!

2 Likes

What’s your average FPS with the 3080 while playing?

Ingame:
Settings down to Medium from Ultra.

PiTool:
Small FOV
PP ON

SteamVR:
SS: 2548x3056

Can hold 75Hz like this.

Picture quality:
Like Valve Index or worse (PP makes everything unsharp). But that is Pimax’ fault. It’s beautiful even on the Odyssey. Parallel Projection seems not to work properly on the 8KX.

The skyboxes are the worst. This looks like a 3 year old VR experience.

Steamvr.settings modifications are all done of course, at 16K. GPU it queries at 2336 all the time in the same file.

P.S. I might have to play on Potatoe. Parallel Projection is so bad.

4 Likes

Same experience for me and 2080ti.

I enabled Smart Smoothing to get normal FOV working. All settings on medium or lower. Its ok that way but PP just ruins half of the quality.

And the star background is really a joke!

1 Like

to be clear, it’s not pimax’s fault that EA/Motive developers break their shaders and other effects by assuming parallel z axes and ignoring the cant of hmd screens (a value that is easy to read from the steamvr api) in their math. in fact most studios and even indies get this right.

1 Like

I don’t care why. It runs great on other headsets.

With PP=on it looks worse than the Index! On the 8KX! It doesn’t matter how high you drill SS!

1 Like

Have you redone the SteamVr fix? I have to reapply it frequently.

Anyone got any idea what engine the game is running on, is it frostbite? I guess it is. If it was Unity at least we could mod the PP fix in.

1 Like

I don’t need to, it still works and I don’t have to redo it.
I have the file open on notepad+ to check on it all the time.

It’s not my setting error.

Don’t try to twist it. It just looks terrible and there’s nothing we can do right now. I can’t even refund because it took me 2 hours to put in all settings and try to tweak it so it doesn’t run at 60fps.