Some controller Compatibility issues with Index controller (Some Info)

Latest update from Alex:

I am sorry for my delay because i was still do a lot of comparative experiment. Include the different headsets( HTC/PIMAX/INDEX) , controllers , base station, even the different batches of the same model helmet(Pimax 8K Plus)

Preliminary judgment is that it seems has some compatibility issue between the index controllers and dongle of Pimax. I already told my colleague to get some help from Valve .

Best wishes!

6 Likes

There’s no way they didn’t notice it in testing though. Were they just hoping there wouldn’t be complaints?

3 Likes

If they were only testing mainly with Vive wands or their reskinned vive wand. Likely wasn’t having an issue.

Plus there are some whom are not having the issue with Index Controllers here or there would be more reporting here than we have so far.

@R1182 was having a tracking issue that he resolved by putting lighthouse higher up.

That would imply they promised compatibility without thorough testing. If Pimax is now seeing it as a hardware compatibility issue, they shouldn’t be promising and selling index controller compatibility until they get to the bottom of it.

Chances are, they’re using the same dongle in the vision line, which is just going to be a more expensive frustration at this point.

I genuinely think that the ones who do not experience the issues are not playing long enough sessions. When I play HL Alyx the issue shows it ugly face after 25ish minutes sometimes even longer, but it will show as sure as you will hear an “amen” in church (if someone would wander into one of those)

2 Likes

Wouldn’t expect it on the 8k+ and it’s bad news for the 8k+ owners but it is good news for 8k and 5k+ owners because it gives priority to the problem…

2 Likes

I played Alyx for 6 hours yesterday and the same the day before. As a retired persons I use my ICs for several hours at a time. This includes many long sessions playing In Death and The Golf Club VR.

Absolutely no issues ever.

5 Likes

The difficulty is simply the fact there are more than 1 revision of the dongle. By valve’s advertisement it should be compatible with each version.

Hopefully it is simply needing maybe some kind of firmwarw update to the SteamVR dongle. This is where proprietary dongles are a nuisance.

1 Like

I play sessions of a few hours daily and I was having an issue in Alyx with left controller dropping out randomly but since going back to pitool 249 that has stopped altogether for me.

1 Like

No from what I have observed those who have the index controllers are playing for good durations. Vs us whom have no controllers that are waiting on them

1 Like

I use 249 as well…

2 Likes

249 seems the most stable in all games I find, and 90hz refresh is still comfortable for me. All of the new features-bells and whistles of later versions seem to bring their own subset of issues so I’ll stick with a solid release for now.

1 Like

I have easily done 5 hour sessions in Alyx, especially the first week of release.

1 Like

When looking for commonality of Pitool:
https://community.openmr.ai/t/tracking-issues-april-2020/26759/46

15 of the 16 respondents are using PT 258 (3.24 being a 258 version).
1 of the 15 lists using 255 and 258
The 16th lists 255

2 Likes

Ive not reported my findings yet, but have tried each version of PiTool from 197 and up, every single one has issues with tracking, some less than others :confused:
@Heliosurge @dogbite
Sorry gents I stand corrected, I might have been too fast to make my conclusion that everyone would face the same tracking issue. I envy you a bit for not having the same issue, but I am really happy that especially you Dogbite do not have them as a senior citizen who enjoys VR I applaud you sir :grinning:

4 Likes

Thanks hopefully they can fix it soon via fw…

1 Like

So has anyone else checked if 249 fixes it for them too?

1 Like

Will set up now and try later today. Where can we download older PiTool releases?

Found it, really hope we don’t lose these older PiTool download links any time soon.

No for me…

https://community.openmr.ai/t/pitool-firmware-links/26733?u=heliosurge

1 Like