[Solved]Yay, received my 5K+, but can't connect bases

Do pitool room set up first then steam vr

1 Like

Not 100% sure, I got most games on steam anyway, but I very much guess so cuz it makes perfect sense as the LHs were designed to use with steamvr

1 Like

So are you saying that we don’t need to wait for PiTool to start tracking? I was performing this ritual before even starting SteamVR. Does LH tracking in SVR work regardless?

Also, I’m pretty sure SVR is not needed for LH tracking for games outside Steam.

One more thing: the front light on my HMD Is blinking slowly, what does that mean?

The blue chevron blinks when parallel projections is on.

2 Likes

What he said Parallel Projection. Its needed for some games, you will know when you need it because the game will look like double vision in the HMD

3 Likes

thank you that i already experienced and solved :slight_smile: Now just need to solve base tracking issue, nothing I do so far seem to help.

2 Likes

I have had this problem for 2 weeks now, the wierdest thing for me is that it works and tracks but if i install any other hardware i.e racing wheel and pedals it stops tracking and doesnt work… very wierd.

So far if i want to use my pimax its without lh tracking.

Thanks for letting me know.

I am completely out of ideas what to try tomorrow. I guess it would help if people would share what LH configuration they use.

Also, I am wondering if base firmware matters. My “C:\ProgramData\pimax\runtime\config\lighthouse\lighthousedb.json” lists firmware 244 for bases, what do you see guys?

Anyone uses Steam VR beta? I am on main, no beta.

1 Like

As already said here, first thing you need to do is to run PiTool play space setup. It only allows you to do “sitting/standing experience”. Then you can do SteamVR setup. I would try it as well, because in my case it was the only way to actually define the room space setup.

Your one LH should be in “A” mode.

If your game does not use SteamVR/OpenVR then I guess you do not need it to run, on the other hand, it might be easier to debug the tracking issue with SteamVR first (using e.g. SteamVR Home), because it can actually give you some hints on what went wrong.

If the headset detects the LH, but displays not tracking it means it cannot get reliable data to pinpoint its position. The reasons are many:

• Some figured out that having the headset too close to the LH breaks the initial calibration. Try to have the headset at least 1,5-2 m from the LH.
  • The most problems with tracking however come from USB problems, usually on very low level - bad cables, incompatibility of USB chipsets, etc.

AFAIK you do not need Vive wands to run the headset (tracking). You might need them if you would want to setup a room space. For setting up standing/sitting, I believe you just need a headset.

EDIT: I am on SteamVR release branch.

3 Likes

since the 109 software i dont even need to go 2m away anymore for first time tracking, works below 1m too now. i only have to hide the headset sensors with my hands for a second and it then tracks fine when moving hands away

2 Likes

Thanks, I am doing everything as you describe, but so far no matter what I do “Not tracking” is what I get all the time. In fact I never got tracking not even for a second, and can’t get past PiTool’s room setup.

I already tried USB 3.1 and 3.0 ports, but I have more ports available to try, and a Fresco card too. I was planning to try moving my bases much further/higher, but it sounds like USB is first thing to try further.

PS: if I have Steam VR running and try to do PiTool room setup, Steam VR indeed displays some error code and crashes, that also needs to be investigated I guess, thanks for the hint.

Just to make sure, could you try doing it from scratch, following the manual? http://piplay-us.pimaxvr.com/PiTool_User_Manual_en.pdf
You should not run SteamVR before you run PiTool “room setup”.
Can you check what PiTool Help->Diagnose reports?

1 Like

this is error I get in Steam VR while I try to run room setup in Pitool:

Tried deleting steamvr.vrsettings did not help so far.

Everything passed in Diagnose. I won’t launch SVR again until I get through pitool setup, will delete .settings again.

I am wondering if base firmware matters. My “C:\ProgramData\pimax\runtime\config\lighthouse\lighthousedb.json” lists firmware 244 for bases, what version do you see guys?

1 Like

I do not have the folder you have on my install. The only lighthousedb.json I found was in \Steam\config\lighthouse. In my lighthousedb.json the firmware reads 436 and corresponds to lighthouse_tx_htc_2_0-436-2016-09-20.bin in \Steam\steamapps\common\SteamVR\tools\lighthouse\firmware\lighthouse_tx\archive\htc_2.0.

1 Like

this is so strange, in any case it seems like my firmware is older. But I cannot update it neither via cable nor bluetooth. Via cable, Base opens as windows disk and I can see firmware.bin in there, but couldn’t make SVR to update firmware yet.

I wonder why we have different file layouts…

My PiTool is .109
Headset fw is: 2.1.255.193

1 Like

I am still at PiTool v1.0.1.91 and headset FW v181. I kind of let myself to wait it out :wink:
Concerning the basestations you can upgrade the firmware here is how: https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/acu82e/basestations_power_management_is_not_working/edbub2m

2 Likes

This was super helpful. However, after upgrade to 436 I get red light blinking. I tried calibration rescue, and it works, but after 436 put on again I get red light bliniking again :frowning: I wonder if I bought bad bases after all