[Solved]Yay, received my 5K+, but can't connect bases

Buy 1 basestation from Amazon. If it works you found your problem and if it doesn’t just return it.

1 Like

Well that is strange, on the other hand, if it worked before with the old firmware maybe it is an old hardware rev. which does not support the newer firmware, I do not know.

When it runs ok (with the old firmware), do you see green LED lit on the top and red LED 3x3 grid on the left?

1 Like

likely what I’ll have to do, there’s one more piece I’d like to check: reddit folks claim that there’s log somewhere, that might indicate what the problem is, anyone knows where it is?

Yes, on 244 I get green LED and 3x3 grid.

I’ve read somewhere that red light diagnostics was added in later firmware. I suspect I’ve been ripped off. There’s one more chance though that maybe my PSU’s are not powerful enough, but from my research bases do not draw more than 0.5A even though PSU is 2.5A.

The only log I am aware of is created by SteamVR, but I do not expect you get much of the info about the bases there, because the only thing which can and knows how to talk to them is the Vive Linkbox (which, I assume, you do not have). Apart from that the only other thing which can report anything out of ordinary is the headset, but I am not aware of any Pimax logging except the Diagnose in PiTool.

1 Like

This is an interesting info! If true, then basically by flashing the new firmware you got the diagnostics. Is there any way to figure out what failed exactly?
If you are feeling adventurous you can have a look at this: GitHub - nairol/LighthouseRedox: Lighthouse Reverse-Engineered Documentation
But I guess what @Toba suggested is probably more sensible approach.

2 Likes

Look at this:
“dynamic_state” : {
“basestation_mode” : 2,
“faults” : 4,
“firmware_version” : 436,

"dynamic_state" : {
              "basestation_mode" : 3,
              "faults" : 8,
              "firmware_version" : 436,

"dynamic_state" : {
              "basestation_mode" : 3,
              "faults" : 8,
              "firmware_version" : 436,

So basically bases are unhealthy :frowning: A buddy of mine sent me his .json and it had faults: 0

Well, once in a while one has to pay price for being cheap :smiley: I bought both bases for $100, oh well!

1 Like

I have also “zero faults” in mine, but keep in mind that there is no way to communicate with the BSes, so whatever appears here is just an indirect info either from SteamVR (but since you do not have Vive wands, nor the headset, SVR has no way of knowing what BSes do) or from Pimax headset.

So the number could simply mean, “oh well I tried to fix the position and failed 8 times and gave up”, but that is something you already know. It does not diagnose the actual problem of the BS (or if there is one).

EDIT: One thing that bothers me though, how the headset knows which firmware the BS runs? :thinking:

2 Likes

Because headset sees lighthouse. I think there’s some handshake or something. After fw update, json indeed changed from 244 to 436 FW.

Normally, I would also assume HMD failure. However, in this case red light comes on even without HMD involved. I might be wrong of course, but atm it seems pretty obvious bases are damaged :frowning: or, underpowered?

Will be ordering single base from HTC… we’ll see how it goes. On a bright side hyroscope tracking works surprisingly well, so I can still race a bit :slight_smile:

Also, what is recommended way of raising resolution? Pitool? SteamVR or both?

Thanks guys for bearing with me those 2 crazy days.

2 Likes

I guess I found the answer to my question :slight_smile:. Have a look at this: LighthouseRedox/docs/Light Emissions.md at master · nairol/LighthouseRedox · GitHub
It basically describes the communication protocol (one-way only) from bases to the tracked devices. I assume the red LED matrix is responsible for that.

It also gives a clue what might be the problem here: LighthouseRedox/docs/Base Station.md at master · nairol/LighthouseRedox · GitHub. Check the bottom of the section. There are different codes for sys.faults which looks like binary flags. Applying it to your case, faults 0x04 would mean “Laser 0”, while 0x08 is “Laser 1”.

2 Likes

Order from Amazon quicker and easy to refund

Since the headset reads the laser beam/pulse it may get info from what the sensors see.

1 Like

If you know some local with a Vive you might be able to verify the LHes as being potentially faulty.

1 Like

The laser do not encode any information in v1 lighthouses. It comes with v2. But the red LEDs are apparently capable of that.

3 Likes

Unfortunately, no friends with Vive :frowning: I guess the only choice is to buy new base off Vive (Amazon does not have direct sale, only resellers). But it suspicious that both bases are seem to be faulty…

1 Like

This topic may help as well

https://community.openmr.ai/t/small-steamvr-desktop-problems-with-pitool-update-1-0-1-109/16329?u=heliosurge

what will help now the most is if someone from the dev team could clarify what does “Red Blinking light” on LH mean. From what I read, it is faulty base, but it is hard to believe both are faulty at once, but it is possible of course.

1 Like

I reccommend a pot of coffee. :beers::wink::+1::sparkles:

2 Likes

situation calls for something stronger :smiley:

2 Likes

Is Vive Breakout/Link box required to use Vive Bases with Pimax?