[SOLVED]USB device over current status detected when I plug the 8KX

Power to the people! :wink:

1 Like

However how much is used just gor Usb devices on a Mobo

1 Like

You are confusing two things, there is USB standard, which specifies how much a device can draw, which is 0,5 A (500 mA) for USB 2.0 and 0,9 A (900 mA) for USB 3.0. Then there is special use case called ā€œpower delivery over USBā€, which has to be negotiated by both devices in order to come in effect and this could deliver more (e.g. QuickCharge, SuperCharge for mobiles), or even can switch to higher voltage (up to 24 V I believe) in order to deliver ~ 100W.

Unless you have one of those ā€œpower deliveryā€ enabled ports on your PC and Pimax implements the power delivery protocol in the headset, you are limited to the amperage I mentioned above. And the USB hardware controller is meant to detect the overdraw and turn the port off if it happens.

I have already asked Pimax, about whether they implemented any power delivery variant in 8k-X (since they moved to the USB power only), but as usual, they never replied and from the reports on how 8k-X behave, I am almost sure there is none. It is just another Pimax hack.

6 Likes

I guess that depends on how many (and which type) of ports a motherboard has and of course how much the devices connected are drawingā€¦ :wink:

See risaā€™s post aboveā€¦ :slight_smile:

3 Likes

The original v2 prototype and original p4k only used USB power.

We know now that the v2 was only running Dual usb 2.

So with the 8kX now running Usb 3 main with a Usb 2 backup for power. It should be good. Though as we know there is an issue with the usb 3 driver in the headset it possible it maybe doing wonky things. Especially as some have found you can run it just on the usb 3 without the usb 2 power.

I received the new cable, three weeks after having received the tracking number.
It seems to work.

Now I tried to mount the eye tracking module, andā€¦surprise !!!

No usb port :frowning:

2 Likes

Thereā€™s no top USB port on the 8KX:
https://community.openmr.ai/search?q=No%20top%20USB%20port

I donā€™t remember the exact reason but I believe it boils down to the PCB being bigger on the X.

If You search for it is there, somewhereā€¦ :face_with_monocle:

You should have a cable that allows You to connect it to the bottom USB port.

3 Likes

There is an included usb-c cable to connect to bottom on the 8kX

1 Like

So I totally forgot to report back and only noticed now as I got a notification that someone looked my replyā€¦ Whoopsā€¦ :upside_down_face:

Iā€™m not using the card but instead using the red USB 3.1 ports on my ASUS ROG Strix Gaming 390-E motherboard.

I think it was due to the ports on the Inateck card not working well with the active USB (2+3) extension cables Iā€™m usingā€¦ :wink:

3 Likes

GOTCHA!

Did you expect it to be logical with Pimax?

Wait until you try to use hand tracking at the same time.

Iā€™ll go get the popcorn.

3 Likes

ok it worked for like an hour before shutting downā€¦

Now Pitool (266) is stuck at error 10600ā€¦

About can Pimax loose time and efforts on PE while having so crappy hardware/software ???

1 Like

not sure if you got your issue with ā€œover currentā€ sorted out or not, but 2 months after i started getting the same message my PSU died completely. Installed a new one and never saw that message again.

4 Likes

They sent me an other cable, that fixed the problem. My PSU is still fine. Thanks for your message :slight_smile:
@Heliosurge can you add ā€œsolvedā€ to the title ? Thanks in advance

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.