[SOLVED]USB device over current status detected when I plug the 8KX

It happened to me a couple of times on my MSI x570 mobo. I unplugged all other USB devices (xbox controller, a phone charger), unplugged both 8kx USB cables, switched power off on PSU, unplugged power cord from PSU, waited about a minute, plugged power back, turned it on, booted to Windows, connected 8kx USBs and other USB devices and it worked.

1 Like

Thanks, I just tried by it didnā€™t workā€¦

Hi, can you disconnect the main cable from the hmd and then only plug in the usb cable to your pc. To search for the error. Is it the cable or the hmd.

I will ask again. What is your computerā€™s power supply 5v Amp rating?

I donā€™t think he understands your question. That being said, USB ports on the motherbaord are fed by the 24 pin connector which should be 5V at 30 amps. It could be that the PSU has a whole bunch of other components on the other rails or is a lower end spec with poor power output filtering (pretty common on pre-built computers as this is where integrators save money).

2 Likes

@Heliosurge and @Soarin, I plugged the Pimax on an externaly powered usb hub, same result. So it doesnā€™t come from my computer. And my computer has a bequite Dark Pro 11 750W power supply that should easily do the jobā€¦

1 Like

Other than testing with a voltmeter to check for a short on the USB cable or the headset there is not a lot more you can do. Do you happen to have one?

1 Like

3 Likes

Okay so you seeing 0.12 volt excess being supplied on one or both USB headers from your AC mains. I have no idea what the tolerances are for the 8KX, I would not expect 0.24 volts to exceed the power limits. This only confirms that your power supply is okay, now yank the DP cable out from the HMD and measure the resistance from the power rail of the DP cable to each of the USB headers.

You want to be measuring from pin 20.

3 Likes

Need an amp meter. However I do suspect the headset is defective imho.

We could always hope it is a bad cable, that is a bit easier to remedy.

2 Likes

Guys, it isnā€™t 5v between vcc and ground, itā€™s 5v between shield and ground ! It should be 0V

3 Likes

Oh damn you are right, I mistakenly though the VCC was via the shield

2 Likes

I would work on getting that Rapid RMA working

2 Likes

I opened a ticket friday, and they gave me quick replies. They advice to try the powered usb hub. I sent them the pictures above this morning.

2 Likes

Do you think guys that they should have already replied to me, or should I wait monday ?

Update : they just shipped a new cable to meā€¦

1 Like

Ummā€¦ That should be 3.0 amps. 30 amps would flip a circuit breaker in most households. Never mind. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Not if itā€™s 5Vā€¦ :wink: Thatā€™s only 150W (5x30).

That said, I really donā€™t think the 24 pin ATX connector supplies 30 amps in 5Vā€¦ :slight_smile:

EDIT: It actually does:

2 Likes

I did do a quick look up first and the power supply I found only had 5V @ 3A, but youā€™re right. There are plenty of PC power supplies which provide a lot more than that.

2 Likes