[SOLVED]USB device over current status detected when I plug the 8KX

Hi all ! When I plug my 8KX, i got a black screen and the following message :
USB device over current status detected!! System will shut down in 15 seconds.

I have an MSI Z390 gaming edge AC with USB 3.1 gen 1 and USB 3.1 gen2.
I tried every port but it doesn’t work.

Worst thing is that the pimax led lights up when I only plug the USB 3.0 cable…

2 Likes

Can You plug the power only cable (USB 2?) into a generic USB charger? If it’s drawing too much power that should work, right?

3 Likes

It worked, but the headset wasn’t detected. So i restarted the computer, and it don’t work anymore… The over current seems to come from the usb 3.0…

2 Likes

I understand it the other way round: It’s saying the 8KX is drawing too much power. That’s why I suggested to plug it into a wall charger… :wink:

1 Like

I already plugged the usb 2.0 into a wall charger

3 Likes

OK. I’m out if ideas.

Maybe it’s a faulty headset?

1 Like

I hope not :-(…

2 Likes

Have you checked your psu 5v amperage? Have you tried only the headset plugged into usb?

I would recommend trying the headset on another computer to see if it does the same thing.

Likely an idea to file a support ticket.

I have purchased awhile ago a usb volt amp meter. Handy to see how much draw.

1 Like

can you run usbdeview and check how much current its requesting?

2 Likes

What is the power rating of the wall charger? Some aren’t very powerful. I’m using an Anker 2.4A unit and haven’t had any problems.

3 Likes

I got 2.0A on the wall charger.

2 Likes

The after-sale service (lightening fast, congrats !) is saying that my mother board is probably “not enough powerfull”. I got an MSI Z390 gaming edge ac, what do you have guys ?

Try with a powered usb3 hub

1 Like

I would look more at your psu’s 5v rail amperage.

My solution is that buy a pice usb 3.0 card with SATA power.

That is more stable than using usb hub with power adapter for me.

maybe you should try it.

4 Likes

I’ve been using this one with the 5K+:
https://www.inateck.com/pci-express-cards-hubs/inateck-ktu3fr-2o2i-usb-3-0-pci-express-card.html

I’ll be receiving my 8KX tomorrow and I’ll report back.

I believe Oculus also recommended one of the Inateck cards for the original Rift at some point.

2 Likes

oh man I have an “MSI Z390 Gaming 3” they may force me to upgrade early if my mobo doesn’t work. I’m planning on waiting to do a Ryzen 4000 build in 2021

1 Like

I will received a powered usb hub today, so we will have the answer. On my side, I didn’t plan to upgrade before one or two years…

2 Likes

Pimax has caused me quite a few unplanned purchases.

Rtx2080 Ti
Used HTC Vive (for basestations)
Index Controllers
maybe in the future a new PC and possible 3090 :woozy_face:

5 Likes

When the usb3.0 is plugged, there is a 5v difference between the pimax’s usb 2.0 shield and my computer usb shield…

1 Like