SadlyItsBradley Crystal Impressions V2 CES

It is very weird thing since for current VR tech, every thing in the view have same focal distance.
So if you can focus on one thing means you can focus on evrything on the view.
Double vision or eye strain is understandable.

I personally donā€™t think Bradley has anything to gain by being bias towards PIMAX.

Yea, heā€™s used some questionable language regarding his reviews. Heā€™s, in his own mind Iā€™m sure, just telling it like he sees it. Considering the STATE of the Crystal when it was on its roadshow, versus CES (to which Bradley confirmed non-the-less improvements have been made), not everyone will have the same exact experience. Myself, had some similar issues on my Roadshow experience.

Consider yourself lucky that you had, by your own judgement, a perfect experience.

Why not make your own YouTube channel and share it with the world then?

2 Likes

HI

thank you very much for this feedback during these CES 2023.
Itā€™s good that bradley says he has nothing against pimax.

In the end we will see with the 1st deliveries if these lens problems, blur from afar seen not Bradley and Sebastian #Mrtv will be 100% resolved?

aplushhsss :innocent::+1:t2::+1:t2:

HI

Madame #Cas from the YouTube channel #Cas and Chary :flag_us::flag_us::flag_us::flag_us::flag_us:
She discovered no problem on the pimax crystal, she loved it

:us::us::us:

Aplushhss :innocent::+1:t2::+1:t2:

Sigh. It seems we have a new forum troll.

Thatā€™s a unbelievable excuse why on earth use old lenses without spacers at CES with a well known youtuber. And he said they dragged him to the stand to see the new improvements :slight_smile:

1 Like

I find your astonishment that Pimax would mess up amusing given youā€™re a backer. :grinning:

2 Likes

it was getting from amusing to really annoying! At this point iā€™m glad i canceled my reservation, i will just watch buyers impressions first before i buy. And iā€™m in no hurry, the 4090 with the reverb g2 is stunning in clarity

3 Likes

Haha probably should.

1 Like

And if you have an 8KX, it might just be coming to shine with your 4090? I still need to try it, my efforts where delayed a bit by having the pleasure to work my way through a disc prolapse which severely limited my enthusiasm to sit down at my PC and play around with my VR gear. A bit maddening to have that kind of GPU in the house after a long wait, and now not be in shape to enjoy it. I am so curious to see how it will be with MSFS (I also got me a i9-13900), with the G2 - and who knows, perhaps itā€˜s the time for the 8KX to finally leave the G2 behind herā€¦

1 Like

8KX +4090 is wonderful. WONDERFUL. Get well and look forward to your VR experiences ahead!

2 Likes

@SmallBaguette
Actually thrill seeker specifically said he did NOT have the issue. He said heā€™d heard that other people had.
Iā€™m convinced itā€™s at least partly due to IPD adjustment. Bradley said he had trouble setting the IPD with the electric control- that he had trouble seeing the number?
I had the same issue-exactly as described by Bradley on my 8KX the other day. I had switched face foams, and I suddenly had all those issues plus double vision in zoom mode on IL2. I adjusted my IPD settings in the client, and voila! Back to the usual excellent image Iā€™m used to seeing.
Maybe once the eye tracking is in and auto IPD is working, this issue will be improved.
There still could be an issue with diopters of error. It would be awesome if that didnā€™t require farting around with different foam masks to adjust focal distance. And I donā€™t think people should need to buy custom diopter lenses unless they want toā€¦ perhaps to play without their spectacles.
Anyhow I propose a few days break from crapping on Pimax with no more to go on than often misinformed speculation. Itā€™s getting tiresome and going nowhere.

2 Likes

It would be okay if we have to get custom diopter lenses at the values we also apply to our spectacles to correct our short-/farsightedness. But that wouldnā€˜t be the case here: we would need to factor in an unknown value of offset for the Crystal lenses, because they seem to be off, not neutral - that is not okay, as it effectively means you cannot correct it unless you are willing to undergo a very expensive trial & error approach with random values.

But perhaps itā€˜s just the a story of ā€žit works for 70% of the users, but not for the other 30%ā€œ due some different optical issue. Itā€˜s just a pity because the other manufacturers donā€˜t seem to have this issue; and unlike the 8KX, the Crystal is not ultra-wide FoV to possibly explain, excuse such deviation.

I think Occamā€™s razor applies here. It seems unlikely that lenses could be perfect for most people- with varying degrees of astigmatism and near sightedness/farsightedness and yet fail for a few. You say 30% as an estimate, but we have no quantifiable data to support any number more than ā€˜someā€™. The simpler answer is that some folks wound up with an incorrect IPD setting. As Iā€™ve noted the auto function was not enabled and manually adjusting the IPD properly can take some time to get right. It took me two days get mine right on my 8KX.
Focal length due to a foam that places some usersā€™ eyes too close or far from the lens may come into it as well. But IPD error strikes me as more likely than aberrant lenses.

The reason lens spacing needs to be adjusted for different foam thicknesses is the lens/screen canting - not (primarily) focal length; It offsets you from the lens axes, when changing eye relief.

Iā€™m pretty sure @Djonko shared a tweet/snapshot from Thrill commenting that he had to really tighten down the Crystal HMD as he was otherwise getting visual artifacts.

In his review on YouTube he specifically says he did not have the issue. But tightening the headset would put his eyes closer to the lenses.
Hm. Interesting.

1 Like

It took me 2-3 weeks to get a less straining hardware & software IPD combination on the 8KX, each individual per eye of course; I tried various methods, partly the ā€œfocus on a figurine in the real world and a figurine in the same distance in Steam Home and compare the two time and again, fine-tuning the IPD settings in PiTool until you get thereā€. I even received an early version of the IPD tool from Mirage335 at the time.

It never was completely okay, and I still had to accommodate to real view for say 30-60 seconds after usage of my 8KX.

And again, there is no other manufacturer I experienced this kind of issue with - with or without spectacles, or prescription lenses (which I use for my G2 and Quest 2). And even with the Quest 1&2, where thereā€™s not that much to dial in in the first place, it works fine for me (probably because I happen to have the median IPD of 64mm). They just are fine, I donā€™t even have any difficulties tuning in my IPD, and if itā€™s not spot on, it wonā€™t be that inconvenient until I go more than say 2-3 mm away from my 64mm. So I definitely know that I donā€™t have a general issue with VR headset lenses.

So applying what-ever scientific logic to narrow down the issue, it does seem to come back to an issue with the Pimax lenses and me, and as there are more reports than just from me, itā€™s safe to conclude that Iā€™m not a complete outlyer and Pimax would be better taking this issue serious.

Itā€™s not really relevant if itā€™s 30%, or less or more: there have been a couple of people noticing an issue. And itā€™s not just me, not just Brad, not just MRTV. By the way, of the very experience youtubers, who know what they are talking about, that already would be 2 out of say 6 or 8 who reviewed it?

But I fully understand that anybody, who himself tried the Crystal and concluded, it works fine for them, doesnā€™t need to care about this and might even be worried that it may delay the release if Pimax try to fix it to accommodate those others. Slightly egoistic point of view, but I get it.

But who knows, perhaps the new lenses or spacing solve all issues. If I can get my hands on a final, production Crystal I will certainly give it a try.

2 Likes

I have no dispute with the need to fix the issue . Iā€™d far rather see more delay with a finished product.
I think the issue lies in focal point and IPD. But I donā€™t rule out a problem with lens design or manufacture. We need it to be easy to set up and use for the maximum number of users.
I just do not like using ā€˜guesstimateā€™ numbers to argue. We donā€™t even know if itā€™s one problem, several, or many different issues for the various users reporting on it.
But regardless, it needs to be fixed.

1 Like

Stats indicate almost 40% of people are myopic and rising. The most current practical solution in VR for the near-sighted seems to be diopter adjustment atm.
Peopleā€™s scripts will likely change more often as they start to experience ā€œGeezer entropyā€ like myself and you wonā€™t be ordering in new lenses for VR each time.
If you have others use your VR that have differing scripts dialing them in seems much more practical, as well.

This is not to say that someone younger who has a stable script and isnā€™t having several others with differing script use their hmd wouldnā€™t find a set of lenses with their script handy. Just not the most practical in many situations.