SadlyItsBradley Crystal Impressions V2 CES

Just to make sure it’s clear, the version of crystal that you saw did not have this problem. Hence you didn’t see it.

The confusion was that, apparently, one of the CES headsets accidentally had that set of older lenses (my guess is they just had the same lenses as the EU roadshow but accidentally forgot to put the magnet spacers on one headset at CES, seems like it was the headset with the lighthouse tracker from what I’ve heard).

Brad wasn’t the only one to have had the issue at CES. Thrillseeker also had it, along with many non-youtuber/media people. It was a mistake is all, the issue does seem resolved so I wouldn’t worry about it but Brad isn’t lying here or some sort of unique eye situation. You saw a fixed crystal at Paris, hence you didn’t see the issue.

4 Likes

Please don’t go there.

I understand that you love the HMD, consider yourself to be very experienced in VR and that there is the somewhat typically French language barrier.

But again, do not deride other people’s impressions of an HMD, solely because it doesn’t confirm with your personal experience. To add, as @SmallBaguette just explained very well, you were not correctly informed of the state of the HMD you tried and these sort of ‘I didn’t see it so your eyes must be terrible or you just hate brand X’ comments turn a polite conversation into an annoying mess very quickly.

4 Likes

HI :innocent::+1:t2::+1:t2:

I am 56 years old.
I have been playing in VR since 2012 with my glasses that correct my myopia!
Whether it’s crystal or my hp reverb g2 or all my old vr headsets (oculus dk1/2/Htc vive /sony psvr1/pimax 5k+) I have no vision problem in a vr headset, I had a friend with me at the roadshow in paris who suffers from motion sickness and he had no problem with the crystal.
If the crystal would have the slightest problem I would criticize it without any problem.

During my test with sweviver when I took off my glasses, everything was blurry like in my Hp reverb G2, and when I put my glasses on the image was the most beautiful I have ever seen in vr.
I’m not a pimax fanboy, I’m not married to any brand of vr headset lol :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Aplushhss :innocent::+1:t2::+1:t2:

1 Like

Do you even read what people are saying here? And please stop releasing those gases at the end of each post, that’s not done in public, please keep those to yourself.

1 Like

Yes, and as @SmallBaguette explained, this was due to the fact that the HMD you tried at the roadshow didn’t suffer from this defect as it was corrected for by a makeshift solution, which alas didn’t make it to CES 23, causing others to again perceive the defect.

Let’s see if he understood it this time,

HI :innocent::+1:t2::+1:t2:

I had asked the pimax team if the crystal lenses in paris had been corrected:

-answer from #pimax usa=No

Afterwards if you think that the pimax crystal has problems, it’s up to you!!

aplushhss :innocent::+1:t2::+1:t2:

Not sure if you missed the other 2 times I said it, but just to triple confirm: The crystal you saw in Paris had the updated lens distance so the problem did not exist. The issue that was seen by Bradley, and many others, at CES was due to an accidental usage of the older lenses. It was just a mix up is all.

Also, worth noting, I am one of the biggest fanboys and defenders of Pimax around here and I will be getting the crystal the second that I can. So I’m not a hater or trying to mislead you.

1 Like

He likely is referring to the new lenses that don’t need the magnet spacers.

Seriously, the lenses at Paris had the magnet spacers so the issue was resolved in a temporary way before they had the new lenses that are permanent fixes. You had the same headset on your head at Paris that I had on at Rotterdam the week before, literally the same headset, I touched you in a weird way (don’t tell your lawyer that).

Why on earth would they have a solution at the Roadshows just before Paris and then decide to remove the solution and add the problem again? Think about it, it’s absolute madness. Try asking @SweViver instead, as he was there and should be able to confirm.

2 Likes

Haha I honestly think it’s the first time I see a fanboy actually acknowledge he’s a fanboy. It’s refreshing!! We had several fanboys here before but I think almost all of them turned sour on Pimax at some point and left this forum. I always used to think of @Axacuatl as a fanboy (long before you got here) but he turned to the darkside at some point, like they all did, but is still posting here. And somehow I’m now pretty much liking 99% of his posts LOL.

Then again, when I started on this forum, with the pimax 4k, I guess I was a fanboy too

bradley first roadshow like you=no issue with lense
bradley second roadshow=issue with lense :grin: :call_me_hand:

1 Like

Haha, I get what you mean. That said I think I am fairly reasonable and not just blindly positive (missing deadlines, saying the roadshow was a launch then having a prototype etc, I do have criticisms and voice them). I just also really like Pimax as a whole, I enjoy that they interact with their customers in more direct way, with the good and bad that brings, and I enjoy seeing the wild ideas they come up with even if I do also wish at times they would be more focused and refined. I’m also very much a tinkerer so getting an early version of the crystal and seeing how it develops is a lot of fun to me. I probably spend more time modding headsets, tweaking software etc (for all my devices, not just pimax) than actually playing games, so I’m in the fairly rare position of having a pretty happy medium with Pimax whatever way they go. But yeah, definitely a fanboy but I do try to keep it reasonable and not be too biased/blinded.

2 Likes

Ha, nothing wrong with that! Like said I think I was a fanboy myself when I came to this forum. Heavily modding the firmware of the pimax 4k and the hardware itself. But after so many disappointments along the way most people stop loving the brand. I’m not even sure how to describe my feeling towards Pimax at this point in time, maybe a love/hate relationship. I just see so much potential and they just don’t grab it.

1 Like

Please do keep it up!

I was getting a little worried during the last couple of weeks when you started (unsurprisingly) to voice your disappointment at a few occasions and I very much enjoy your spirit and input in this forum.

2 Likes

@SmallBaguette now explained what you expererienced in Paris I think 4 times. I will leave it at that, this is just becoming repetitive.

3 Likes

Pimax is like a girlfriend who never turns up for dates. Instead she texts you an apology with rude pictures and promises too ‘love you long time’ in the future.

I wonder who’s going to get the first unboxing video out?

Uffffffff, will be a historic moment, a milestone that i want to see quickly

Maybe 25/31 January?

Didn’t we already have exactly this discussion in a previous thread?!

Perhaps it would be good to accept that what you experience is not necessarily what others actually objectively experience too, and only are too stupid to interpret correctly? I believe it was this kind of attitude some Pimax employee expressed towards Brad (if you have a problem with the Crystal, it’s your fault) which put him off at some stage.

Of course the problems some of us may have with the 8KX, and here with the Crystal, may, no actually will, well have their grounds in some kind of circumstances of the individual complaining about them: but if this is more than just a very small minority, it means the product is not suited for them, and it should be known by customers that this product may not work as desired for them. Users & reviewers who are sharing this information should not be discouraged from doing so.

1 Like

I was at CES when Bradley was there, and you can see me standing behind him in the Sweviver video. In fact, I shot the video Bradley used of him playing Pistol Whip on the 42PPD Crystal in his YouTube video. Bradley told someone there (I don’t remember if it was Josh or Martin or Nordic) that the display was super clear out to about “9 meters or so”, then it got blurry. This was on the lighthouse tracked 35PPD Crystal running HL:Alex. I noticed it and agree with him. Objects in the distance had a bit of double vision. It wasn’t bad, but it was noticeable. And since the foreground objects were stunningly sharp, the blurriness of the background stood out. The inside-out tracked 35PPD Crystal running a flight simulator was worse. I told someone in the booth on the first day that it was blurry and someone should take a look at it. By Saturday when Bradley was there it seemed a little better, but still not fixed. On the 42PPD Crystal I didn’t notice the distance blurriness at all.

If the Crystal running the flight sim was the final product, I wouldn’t buy it. The other other 2 Crystals being demoed were so good I wouldn’t hesitate to purchase because 1 was slightly blurry at distance, and one wasn’t noticeably blurry at distance at all. I had also heard that one of the demo units had the old lenses, and if it was the “bad” Crystal running the flight sim, that would make sense, but it also shows that Pimax is making progress. But, it suggests either a hardware problem with the lenses themselves or the lens mounting system, or a calibration issue.

The point of this is that what Bradley is reporting about the distance blurriness is a real issue on the 35PPD lenses, but Pimax has made progress on this issue-enough to make me think they’ll get it completely resolved.

Bradley said several times how surprised he was that Pimax made such huge improvements in a month and a half since the Florida Roadshow. He was actually very complimentary.

As an aside, while we were filming Bradley had said, “Everyone thinks I hate on Pimax but I don’t.” :man_shrugging:t3:

6 Likes