RTX 30 Series Discussion - Part 1

What ? It have over 1.7x raster (normal rendering) performance over the 2080ti !

4 Likes

Where is that stated? I only found Nvidiaā€™s benchmarks of RayTracing stuff.

1 Like

Not a true review, but it does show the power of the 3080 (imagine the 3090).

3 Likes

He tests 3080 vs a normal 2080 and says 1.7x with RTX and DLSS. Not against 2080ti. He tests:

Borderlands 3 - with Raytracing.
Tomb Raider - with Raytracing.
Battlefield 5 - with Raytracing.
Control - with Raytracing.
Doom Eternal - with Raytracing.

So, thanks for posting this video. It reinforces my point made (which is also what @mirage335 is sceptical about).

I wonder if this card can be faster than my OCed 2080ti while Raytracing isnā€™t used. I donā€™t play the games with RT, because Iā€™m a VR gamer. That is what interests me about these new cards.

9 Likes

Yes, the review should be against the 2080ti.

Some games didnā€™t have RTX enabled and showed a solid 1.7x perf over the 2080 (BF5).

But weā€™ll see. Lets also HOPE/BEG for an actual response from AMD.

3 Likes

Raytracing. Wow, that does not look good. So, much less than 80% improvement of the 3090 vs RTX 2080 Ti.

(4352/2944)Ɨ(10496/8704)=1.78

Well. It has 30 tflops! Thatā€™s a ton of normal rendering power. In comparison to the 2080 ti which has 14.

And the first half of the video was minus raytracing I believe.

1 Like

That has nothing to do with rendering power. Thatā€™s compute power, useful for such things as simulations and neural network training (if the particular use case can make do with FP32 and canā€™t get away with FP16 or less).

NVIDIA actually claims 285 TFLOPS ā€˜tensor computeā€™. So, quarter petaflop super-computer. Which might be really cool and useful, but unfortunately, not so much for VR.

4 Likes

Yes these slides are marketing hype. The TFlop numbers and Core count numbers donā€™t make sense unless you look at them arbitrarily multiplying based on the FP32 thing perhaps. Either way given all the figures out there atm are RTX ON which is pretty much irrelevant for current VR applications, we shall see shortly what the real benches look like. I suspect the 2080ti might not be behind the 3070 when it comes to straight raster workload. the 1080ti vs 2080ti was much more dramatic in their slides as well but the real world performance increase for raster workload was pretty disappointing, which was why I skipped the 20 series.

Something else I suspect is that the board partners might come out of the gate with something in between the 3080 and 3090, like a 3080 with slightly bumped VRAM.

4 Likes

Iā€™ll be upgrading from a plain old 1080ā€¦ so any of the 30 series will be a big improvement.
I just ordered an I9-9900k and cooler as well.
Thatā€™s the fastest cpu my MB can take, but it should be a step up from my I7, and work ok with a new Gpu. I think that the 3080 will hive me the most bang for the buck, but I too am waiting for benchmarks. I might wait to see what AMDā€™s big navi GPU series has to offer before I decide. The 3090 is a bit out of my budget range.
Cheers

2 Likes

Pimax 8KX with DFR Eye tracking and an RTX 3090 = VR Heaven :grinning:

Could probably even run No mans sky with smooth framerate

3 Likes

ā€œNvidia says the RTX 3090 will also be up to 50 percent faster than the Titan RTXā€

Do you guys think there will be 3080TI because 3090 looks like TITAN for me?

1 Like

According to some guy on reddit:

Maybe the 2080 is the testerā€™s own card?

Donā€™t know where he got it from. thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/ikp20w/digital_foundry_nvidia_geforce_rtx_3080_early/g3metks/

1 Like

Maybe :slight_smile: Though Jensen did say during the launch stream that the 3080 is the flagship product (and the 3090 replaces the Titan).

Maybe the 3080 is the flagship product, for nowā€¦ :slight_smile:

I found it quite weird to call it a flagship product since the 3090 existsā€¦ :smiley:

4 Likes

In response to SweViverā€™s starting post comparing CUDA cores increases my understanding is that CUDA cores are more about maths calculations while the most relevant specifications for our non Ray Tracing VR apps is the Texture Rate. These are the Texture rate stats (in Gtexels/s):

1080ti -> 354 (lets set this as the base % of 100)
2080ti -> 420 (119% compared to the 1080ti)
3080 -> 465 (131% compared to the 1080ti (111% compared to 2080ti)
3090 -> 556 (157% compared to the 1080ti (132% compared to the 2080ti and 120% compared to the 3080)

This analysis shows signs of some credibility given the 19% increase of the 2080ti over the 1080ti is not far off what has been observed.

If it is correct the 11% increase of the 3080 over the 2080ti isnā€™t that enticing - even though the 3080 is very reasonably priced (relatively). However, the difference between the 3090 and the rest of the cards does start to get interesting - but clearly at a price.

This is all excluding the effect of memory (which will depend on the application) and connection bandwidth possible bottlenecks.

On another point, can I suggest renaming the title of the thread to something that indicates itā€™s about the new GPUs - I nearly missed it!

EDIT - looks like I may have this completely wrong (hopefully!) - most youtubers that Iā€™ve watched now seem to think that the 3080 and 3090 will be at least 2 x the 2080ti!!

5 Likes

Hopefully we will see some benchmarks tonight.

2 Likes

After a bit of googling (although Iā€™m admittedly not the best ā€˜googlerā€™ in town) I canā€™t seem to find any indication that we are going to get benchmarks any time soon - at least not much before the actual release of the cards! No one seems to have their hands on any from what I can tell.

Edit - what I found though was a number of the normal reviews indicating that the lack of real hard numbers during Nvidiaā€™s presentation on non Ray Tracing games was worrying - just to manage expectations. Really hoping the cards blow us away though because Iā€™m almost definitely going to buy one anyway as Iā€™m still on a 1080ti.

4 Likes

Has anyone spotted a custom 3080 with 20 GB already? Preferrable with a 2 slot design. That would be perfect!

2 Likes

I just had a look on gumtree and there are hundreds of 2080ti cards going cheap. I think the value of my 2080ti has dropped 50% overnight :grinning::grinning::grinning:

6 Likes

My understanding is that those cards will come later. They use a new type of memory, which is currently in limited supply. Your best bet to get 20+ GB would be to buy a 3090, if you can find one (since they are also going to be in limited supply).

As for 2 slots, I think thatā€™s unlikely. It would probably need at least 2.5 slots. My factory overclocked 2080 is nominally a 2-slot card, but the additional mounting bracket (required due to the weight of the cardā€™s massive heatsink) takes up another 2 slots.

2 Likes