RTX 30 Series Discussion - Part 1

Are you able to tell how much VRAM does the 8kx use on your 2080 Ti at peak?

3 Likes

@SweViver

What do you think of NVIDIA 3090 coupled with i7 3770K (Cpu 4 core/8 thread 3.5Ghz and 3.9 Turbo one core) to pilot 8K X ?

2 Likes

For DCS, more, more and more ā€¦ 11Gb are the Minimum

3 Likes

3090 is the (Titan)ic wallet-killer too. Price/performance is bad. I guess ideally would be a 3rd party 3080 with more than 10GB if the rumours are true.

But who am I kidding, Iā€™ll buy a 3090 if the reviews are positive.

5 Likes

So looks like weā€™ll want the 20GB 3080 if not the 3090 then.

20GB 3080 will be pretty expensive too, and they probably wonā€™t announce it until AMD shows their hand. But Iā€™m not sure this is AMDā€™s year.

6 Likes

Exactly my thought/hope :smiley:

I ran a 1080Ti on PCIe 2.0 to begin with (Overclocked Xeon X5680 6 core/12 thread, DDR3 RAM) before upgrading to the 9900K with 4GHz RAMā€¦ :wink:

Might not be that bad (danish prices):

Exactly, I went through a (960,)1060 and 1080Ti in a very short amount of time and about a Year later i bought a 2080Ti (because I had waited with buying the 1080Ti initially and went for the 1060 instead)ā€¦ :slight_smile:

iā€™d say pcie 3.0 would be enough, except that direct from storage transfer they got me excited about may push that limit.

2 Likes

Why is SLI death??? :sob::weary::sleepy: so many cheap 2080ti on the way.

3 Likes

@SweViver You might have missed the discussion in this other (now split) thread. Basically, NVIDIA is double counting CUDA cores, because they are doubling FP32 performance per core. There is no telling yet whether this actually matters to troublesome use cases like DCS World, and seems a lot like marketing buzz to push features not currently relevant to VR (ie. RTX). Actual estimates based on transistor counts and clock speeds suggest maybe a 70-87% improvement in real performance if maximum clocks exceed the 2100MHz or so of the RTX 2080 Ti.

https://community.openmr.ai/t/stop-fawning-over-the-rtx-3080-cards-and-future-cpus-seriously/28478/202
https://community.openmr.ai/t/nvidia-rtx-3070-3080-and-3090-graphics-cards-discussion-sept-1st/30487

Bottom line is we still really need multi-GPU to push performance far enough to put an end to Smart Smoothing with room for more performance dropping updates to apps like DCS World.

Or at the very least, we need some proper VR Pimax DCS World benchmarks with one of these GPUs to prove another 10-20% performance beyond 87% is not just marketing hype from NVIDIA.

Then of course, there is still the CPU side to contend with for some of these use cases, though better GPUs would put some pressure on software developers to solve thatā€¦

7 Likes

THIS WILL NOT WORK ; HUGE BOTTLENECK ! You need atleast a 9900k

2 Likes

sli/nvilink isnt dead at all . You can get two rtx 3090 and play all games form 2000-2017 in 8k 60 fps on a dell up3218k ! Scaling is amazing on older games like witcher 3 , ac unity and and and ā€¦

2 Likes

Yes I know. Have seen some videos where the performance gain was up to 80% with 2 2080ti.

unfortunately it doesnā€™t seem to work at all for VR :frowning:

4 Likes

BTW , has anybody try VorpX with SLI/nvlink ?

I answered the question myself, google says, VorpX and Sli no longer work. :frowning:

But all rtx3xxx have a DisplayPort 1.4aā€¦ no 120 hz

3 Likes

3080 is a monster, a solid 1.8x upgrade over the 2080ti.

But the 3090 is a goddman GODZILLA.

Im VERY afraid of the 3090 benchmarks, because they can make the absurd price justifiable.

1.3k for the 8Kx and now the 3090ā€¦

I should choose another hobby :rofl:

19 Likes

Open Question:

Would using a 3090 bring actual visual benefits over a 3080 when using 8K-X such as being able to run slightly higher settings in Steam or PiTool?

Thanks.

2 Likes

The 3090 is just a 3080 with (more than) double the vram and higher clocks, so just more brute force.

All other features are present in both.

6 Likes

Thank you.

So it makes no real difference in visual clarity in being able to select potentially higher super sampling/resolution settings when running a 3080 Vs 3090? But what it does provide is higher FPS in games? (3090 Vs 3080).

Iā€™ve not ever understood Steam VR/PiTool and donā€™t have a GPU still and was just wondering.

Maybe ā€˜Pimax Experienceā€™ will be able to detect these new GPUā€™S for us and pick the maximum settings anyway so clueless people like me wonā€™t mess their settings up.

5 Likes

So the 3080 is only an upgrade over the 2080ti if you use Raytracing, which isnā€™t present in the VR games I play (Simulators and FPS mostly). At least their benchmarks referred to these use-cases. So I am lost on how to estimate on how much real world performance would improve, given they clock slower as well.

Aside the marketing blabla and hype: Where was it said it would be quicker in normal applications?

3 Likes

You can push the supersampling beyond with the 3090 over the 3080, but it should be really overkill (diminishing returns).

More supersampling is always good, but at higher resolutions (the 8k-X case), not so much (like it would do with the 5k+)

4 Likes