RTX 30 Series Discussion - Part 1

Ok, let’s see what will be available when. Alternatives would be to leave the case open on one side. Or to replace the case. Or to get whichever card still fits in two slots. Or to stick with the 1080 ti. Or to buy a completely new PC. But likely not this year then…

2 Likes

I’m thinking that the first thing I should do is get a beefier power supply to replace my 650W unit. While that might barely be enough for a 3080, I’d prefer to have some extra capacity. Who knows, I might actually buy a 3090 instead.

4 Likes

Imho the 20% or what performance gain of the 3090 over the 3080 is hard to justify. Unless one uses applications that make good use of 24 GB of RAM. Which wouldn’t be the case for games anytime soon.

1 Like

I am keen on the 3090 if it turns out to be as fast as predicted but I will wait until my 8kx turns up and see how the image quality increases with supersampling.

3 Likes

I tried 300% once. Looked substantially better than 100% but was of course unplayable with the 1080 TI. The step from 100 to 120% (which is the maximum that works for some games with my card) wasn’t as obvious.
High supersampling settings is probably the most relevant case for VR users where 10 GB might become the limiting factor.

2 Likes

Do we really have to order a 3090 for 1500 €
Is the Vram of the 3080 not enough for the 8K X?
I do not want so spend so much money on a new card, even the price is “OK” for the 3090 and the 24 GB Vram. And i do not want to pay twice the price for maybe 20 percent more performance, if the Vram of the 3080 is ok for the next two years. 2022 there will be a new GPU line also, with more performance.
Then the same thing is happening with the 3090 as now with the 2080 ti, over night price drop of over 50 percent.

6 Likes

You won’t have to, no… :wink:

3 Likes

Agreed. It’s very hard to justify, especially to a wife. :laughing: I still might get one though, depending on how hard it is to find a 20 GB 3080. The thing is, I really like the dual outflow cooler design of the nVidia Founder Edition cards and currently, they don’t plan to release a 20 GB version. I’m not sure 10 GB is sufficient for my desires (not needs).

That leaves me in an awkward place. I’m going to try to wait as long as I can stand it and hopefully get a 3080 Super with 20 GB sometime next year.

5 Likes

The reason why the 2080ti has dropped so much is because of the combined radical increase in Ray Tracing performance combined with the much more competitive price this time around (of the 3080 anyway). I would hazard a guess that Nvidia will not be able to do the same the next time around.

4 Likes

Yup, justifying to wife these sort things is a problem most of us face - clearly running a very thin line here on the sexism front but I’m sure lady gamers don’t have quite such a problem justifying to their husbands!

I have a secrete ‘tech’ bank account that I pay £30 in each month so I can get these things in under the radar!! The problem is trying to get delivery organised for when she’s out!! The funny thing is she’s completely cool about me spending whatever on a new suit but if it’s electronic she sees no value!!

7 Likes

It’s not enough…I’m waiting for 5090 …then I’m sure Pimax 8KX will works perfectly :grin:

2 Likes

That’s the problem right there… :wink:

She doesn’t have to “see it”… She just has to accept that You do… :slight_smile:

And You have to accept that she sees value in other stuff… :wink:

… or don’t have shared bank accounts :smiley:

3 Likes

Waiting for 3080 variant with 20GB VRAM… 10GB is not enough for Pimax I think.

6 Likes

Wow, Pimax stock just went up because of these new cards I think. Imagine running the X at full 75Hz with 200 supersampling or more.

8 Likes

So if anyone would buy my 8k Plus, then i could buy a 3090. But since two months its on ebay and nobody wants it. It comes with the DAS Mod and warranty /invoice. I have to get rid of it as fast as possible ( do not worry - I will buy a 8K X from a retailer in europe).

3 Likes

Ouch! That is most unfortunate. In the current economy, it’s hard to sell non-essential goods. I hope you can sell it soon, for a good price!

5 Likes

I tryed it with a fixed price, also here in this forum but I will start with a one euro auction at the end of the week on ebay. Maybe i am lucky this time and get a good value for the Plus.

1 Like

I hope youre considering pcie 4 and the new SSD’s , need specific chipsets for that

That would be interesting to find out indeed. When increasing supersampling there seems to be a point where a few more percent turn an almost playable experience into a complete slideshow. I have attributed that to a lack of video memory. (11 GB on the 1080 TI). But I’m not completely sure. Is there a tool that shows the current memory usage? Might do some experiments later on then.

the 3080 has double the cuda cores and what looks like +100mhz rated clocks over the 2080ti, so even without the RT and Tensor cores, even just in “normal” games it should be close to double the performance

even better, for what I sold my 8KX for I can buy both a G2 AND a 3080 and still have some cash left over :smiley:
thanks Pimax :wink:

5 Likes