Received 5k+ today

Yes, its a nice City
and we even have this now :slight_smile:

Edit: Actually really both from China and now in Trier but not in that combination :wink:

5 Likes

So we are almost in the same boat :-). I would love to give it a try in room scale but just need to be patient now …

1 Like

Super, danke vielmals!

2 Likes

Indeed be awesome one the extra toys arrive. :beers::heart_eyes::+1::sparkles:

Ok, I’m not sure whether to wait for Pimax controllers+basestations or buy vive stuff, which is approximately twice the price. I guess I will wait and see how far one can get with the 5K+ alone.

1 Like

While the full monty would be best. There are a lot of experiences we can enjoy though in the mean time.

Review

Ok, lots of this has been said before – I will try to keep myself short. So, my first impression review (about 3 hours in the HMD over the weekend)

Apparel / Design

• Looks great at first and second sight
  • Build quality is good, but not perfect e.g. seams of the two shells have areas where there could use a bit of “deburr” (no idea if that is the correct term for “entgraten”.)
  • Everything else looks good in my opinion
  • NO sign of cracks until now – but it does feel very light in material terms – hope its sturdy enough

Comfort

• Ist a nice and light HMD
  • The Basic strap is not bad, I guess the deluxe will add to that
  • Sits and fits good, but I do need to tweak around a bit so that it is comfortable because
    • for my face the face cushion is a bit slim – I get very close to the lenses, which is ok for me, but my nose gets pinched a bit if I move the IPD towards the 60mm (62.xmm).
    • finding the sweet spot takes a bit of figuring out for me due to a rather narrow IPD of something like 62-64mm. I need to also to vertical as horizontal adjustment (IPD) – and then if I got it, it looks very sharp – being of the sweet spot is just a bit more unsharp, not like the odyssey or visor I have had
  • Almost no light leak for me – only noticeable when HMD is off

Image Quality

• Its good! I did hope for a bit more in terms of clarity on the horizon like in Project Cars and so a bit less SDE than it is (in game play you will lose the SDE, but if you try you can focus on it), but it’s a solid step forward to my odyssey and the larger FOV is immersive!
  • Black Levels are good for an LCD – sure you can see its more gray then black (taking an OLED as a base) and if you search in dark scenes you can detect back light plead – but in the normal amount for an “LCD” based display – my ASUS ROG WHQD is no better at that then the PiMax.
  • Colors look good in my opinion – Skyrim is great, Project Cars is great.

Usage

• Takes a bit to get it set up for each game (parallel projection on, setting the resolution/ss and so on – but not that bad (sure thing is, profiles should be considered in the development roadmap on a app based scenario).
  • Turning on /off with the power button works fine for me – both for starting the HMD up as also for powering it off (I do disconnect power none the less)
  • Did search for the sweet spot and comfortable fitting on my face/nose a bit.
  • Not all games work out of the box – some tweaking needed here and there – but that is mostly game based (like I am not using room scale currently – which takes up some time on its own to recenter the HMD and stuff in each game – but it’s the games, not pimax)
  • I played Project Cars for 35 Minutes and had no drift of the HMD (Positioning). Yesterday I played 5 round of Nurburgring+Track (+25km per round) and did have to press recenter more then once per round – no idea why it was perfect one day and less the other (the other track was Porsche Test Track) – but its was not a huge deal – I guess its to be expected when not using lighthouse positioning. It does feel very responsive in terms of catching your movement.
  • Some Games I can’t get to work yet – but its more a configuration problem of the games (Like Subnautica without positioning and the controllers to use it, Dirt Rally to recenter via revive and such).
  • Installing the HMD and PiTool where easy and straight forward for me, setting up the basics also - so no real complication on the first “start up”
  • I do thing I have found one “white” pixel on my right eye – its only noticeable it the scene is full dark, and I go searching for it – but I will need to double check and see if it is not some other artefact – but rather sure its not. Not sure if I should initiate a ticket for that since everything else works up to now and I haven’t noticed it in games much to date – but no white pixel would have been better…

Edit: Added review text to the top post i did - for ease of finding/reading for those who wish too.

14 Likes

Thanks for the write up! Regarding the dead pixel I wouldn’t be too concerned unless it is in the center of the vision. I have a monitor with a dead pixel which is always white. It in in the lower right corner and although I’m quite picky I doesn’t bother me. But of course it’s up to you to decide.

1 Like

Its near the vertical center line of sight but below the horizontal center line - and I thing I can live with it - need to try elite dangerous or something like that to see how it is in a dark game.

3 Likes

Thanks for your impressions. Reading about the pimax is like a drug now in the last waiting phase…

DPD says now it can arrive tomorrow! “22/23 Jan”
First I was happy and wanted to take a free day from work - I already told my family i will be in VR that day - now I looked in my work calendar and I have tomorrow and wednesday some meetings i can not move. I normally love my work but this week i hate it. arrrrrrg

:dagger::smiley:

4 Likes

I know the feeling well! I have the day off today and my Pimax gets delivered TOMORROW! Wah! and, no, I can’t take tomorrow off, of course! :sob:

4 Likes

You could suggest a VR Meeting. Lol. Though they are likely to call foul with only maybe having alternative headsets. :beers::joy::+1::sparkles:

3 Likes

this is even harder… :dizzy_face:

But the benefits are: Soon we all have our pimaxes. And the weather is shitty outside (at least here)! :smiley:

3 Likes

I just talked to my boss about taking a day off on thursday:

Me: “I have to take a day off on thursday.”

He: “No, problem. Why suddenly? Special Plans?”

Me: “My new VR headset arrives.”

He: “Cool! Can you sell me your old one?”

Me: “I could, but you wouldn’t have fun because I need to keep my controllers and basestations.”

He: “You can’t take a day off.”

Me: “…”

He: “Kidding!”

:roll_eyes::dizzy_face::smile:

12 Likes

Hey thats the kind of Boss one should have :slight_smile: !

3 Likes

sadly I still have to work…

24 Likes

Haha cool!
Poor delivery guy probably have no idea he is carrying something very precious and AWESOME!
Though he seems to carry it with care, def not one of those Ventura fellows.

8 Likes

He Cool ! (literally too :wink: )
I cant wait to hear from your experience and PiMax!

I am “Sick @ Home” and doing some home office work i cant postpone - damn I would love a week of now, the basestations and controllers and connect to the matrix ;-).

2 Likes

That’s not the delivery guy. That’s me. :smiley:
The delivery guy was throwing the packages around in his van. Very concerning…

I couldn’t resist and open it at my work place.

It’s very lightweight. The headset is not completely fixed in it’s box. It has a little wiggle room (I don’t know if this is correct english. In german we call it “Es hat Spiel”). No wonder we have so much defect devices…

Second thing: Why does it have lots of finger prints on the lenses? Pimax, didn’t you clean the lenses before shipping?
@Sean.Huang @Matthew.Xu

If everything is working, I am fine. I have to test in the evening. I am so excited… :exploding_head:

9 Likes

Oh is that you? You look familiar :grinning:

5 Likes