Received 5k+ today

The fingerprints are from the DPD guys, they checked it out on the weekend :wink: -
ā€œok - spaƟ bei Seiteā€ - I had some finger prints also - I would guess its QA - testing them ā€œagainā€ ?

5 Likes

Yea! May face changes all the time. Yesterday I looked like this: :face_with_raised_eyebrow:
Today I look like this: :grinning:
This evening I will look like this: :star_struck:

6 Likes

Ok lol, no wonder, youā€™re holding the packet like it was a newborn baby :grin:

6 Likes

Ooo the agony! Can look but canā€™t test! Now put it back in the box and carry it around all day or someone else might take it home! :scream:
Congratulations! :+1::clap::tada::sparkler::fireworks:

6 Likes

Waa! This is awesome!

Very first impressions: (5k+)

• It is not that easy to get it running. It took me one hour of fiddling with software. Headset wasnā€™t tracked by lighthouse. Suddently it worked. I donā€™t know why.
  • The FOV is huge. Itā€™s just huge.
  • You can barely see the SDE in most situations. I was looking at an arrow in the Lab. I couldnā€™t see the SDE at all. In big bright areas only if you try to find it. The image is sharp as a blade.

Now the not so good things:

• In large FOV the distortions are very prominent. I can live with that.
  • It is super uncomfortable. Not enough room for my nose. I need thicker face cushions.

And the worst thing:

• I have a dead pixel in the center of my left eye. It is black but super dominant in bright scenes. :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

All in all it is definitly second gen. Itā€™s so sharp.

15 Likes

Sounds good! Thanks for the impressions.
Relieved to hear that the SDE isnā€™t bothering.

I hope you can solve both of these issues with correct placement of the headset and a proper cushion.

6 Likes

I thought these things were assembled in a clean room? If they are being tested I donā€™t know under what circumstance one would need to put their fingers all over the lenses. Also, it has a dead pixel soā€¦ not QA touching it all over Iā€™m guessing. :smile:

3 Likes

Hey cool glad itā€™s there now!
Damn seems like every one gets 1 dead pixel ā€¦ statistics of failure rate?

3 Likes

What IPD do you have? Itā€™s pinching my nose when I go below 62mm

1 Like

As long itā€™s smudge and not sledge hammer marks or pubic hair :wink:

1 Like

61,5 mm.

But the problem is not that it pinches my nose, it seems that my nose is too long. But the headstrap is hard to adjust good. I have to experient moreā€¦

Do you see the black dots?

1 Like

The finger prints where only visible when the package was still cold from the dpd car. At home I couldnā€™t see them anymore. Dosnā€™t matter.

1 Like

Probably was one of the stretch goals - guaranteed dead (pixel) on arrivalā€¦ :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Yes.
But itā€™s not distracting. The dead pixel is my problem. Itā€™s directly in the center of the view.

1 Like

i didnā€™t notice any dead pixel in my 5k+ yet. Everything seems to be working properly, software and hardware. Been using it since about 10 days.

3 Likes

Thx! Sorry to hear about the dead pixel wonder why this is still a thing after so many complains. It is so much more effort needed to replace a unit instead of simply testing it for like 2 more minutes on the dead pixels problem. mmh

4 Likes

Yes, I raised the IPD to 65. Then I felt how it should feel. Very comfortable. These displays are pinching my nose with IPDs lower than 64. But I need 61,5ā€¦

This is bad. I hope I can solve it with the Vive-Das+Adapter + Thicker cushions. Itā€™s very very uncomfortable. :frowning:

But damn. This thing is sharpā€¦ The displays are just awesome.

8 Likes

Glad to hear from your positive experience. Yes ! thicker foam will do the trick, as it did already for many of us, including me. 18mm here. You will see the sweet spot then. IPD sweetspot for me is also between 63-65.

12 days here for me with the beauty. And its working really well. No cracks or other casing issues. No tracking issues or any other setup issues. Iā€™m too still overwhelmed by the headset. Its just glorious. The FOV, the sharpness and the overall performance it brings to the table. At the moment iā€™m enjoying ā€œIn Deathā€ very much. I think its just made for the Pimax. I cranked ingame graphics to max and pixel densitiy to 1.5. And its just sooo beautiful and with the FOV, you just have the perfect overlook for the situation. SDE also looks very good in that game and the clarity is simply o v e r w h e l m i n g ! ! ! I never had so much fun in an archery game.
Sometimes i see one white pixel in black loading screens. Itā€™s really very rare that i can even spot it and it isnā€™t disturbing me at all during gameplay. I donā€™t see it there. I can observe the black dots on red and blue backgrounds and ordered a replacement because of that, but iā€™m already afraid of bigger issues maybe coming with that unit, because iā€™m not really disturbed by the dots during vr sessions and just love my unit here.
But lets see. If itā€™s dotless, maybe itā€™s even better.

cheers

5 Likes

@anon74848233 please add to earlybackers group.

1 Like