Quest 2 Discussion, will it beat the G2?

Let’s see how “native compatibible with Oculus” Pimax will be in 2021. They are going onto their 3rd year where they can’t support Guardian.

Why is it outrageous when they had OLED in their $399 headset? We already know $299 is a loss, and thought Quest 1 was sold at a loss. They now know that people buy tons of accessories and games for their Quest 1, so we’ll see some “must-have” accessories that will get everyone spending to reach the real cost. I think most people were dreaming of the next Quest coming in 2-3 years with something like the XR2…and here it is this year, albeit not with 7 cameras or whatever other craziness the XR2 can do.

1 Like

Because the XR2 headset costs several times as much as the 835 that is in the first Quest. 50% more RAM. And the selling price is 100 bucks cheaper to boot. To put it in perspective, the XR2 chipset alone makes up for 50% of the sales price already and you still have to account for a BOM, assembly, shipping to the final warehouse etc. OLED on top of that does sound exceedingly unlikely.

1 Like

I do agree with you, but considering the rumored $299 is already seemingly ridiculous, why not double-down? At least it’s Facebook’s gamble, not ours. We’ll see how much of a gamble they’re taking tomorrow!

2 Likes

The thing is built for maximum possible mass appeal. Most people will prioritize the clearer visuals of a proper subpixel structure over the pentile layout most OLEDs come in. And yes, the colors are better on oled no doubt, but you can build pretty darn good LCDs these days and since the vast majority of buyers of the Quest 2 will be VR virgins, OLED would be wasted. They never have seen OLED in a headset, so they lack the reference and won’t miss it.

1 Like

True, but here we are missing OLED from Gen 1 PCVR. The Gen 1 Questers will probably miss it too. None of headsets are using OLED for premium PC VR…so you’re probably right, they won’t be OLED in Q2. Maybe we’ll see Samsung’s patents come true with a sick OLED screen.

I, maybe you is missing OLED but not general population same as in TV most wouldn’t to pay price diff.

2 Likes

From Facebook’s point of view, all prior customers, Oculus fans, VR enthusiasts etc can get f*cked. They don’t care about any of those people any more, they are now targeting the mainstream normie gamer, the kind of guy who plays on console and has never heard of VR and probably don’t own a PC. Maybe a macbook or something hip like that, but nothing that will run good VR.

Guys like you and me don’t matter to Facebook. This is a paradigm shift that most people will only realize over time.

This is true, but what I’m saying is that Facebook could be eating the cost to bring something most people would be amazed at, even people with existing headsets. If you wanted to WOW someone in VR, would you want them in an OLED or LCD? Especially when the OLED probably has near-0 SDE. Maybe they have really really good LCDs lined up, which would be the compromise.

1 Like

Well my point is that WE know, and I would think Facebook knows, OLED is better besides SDE. It’s obvious Facebook is targeting mainstream, this was obvious years ago…but what if they made a headset that even enthusiasts prefer? That’s how you get most people locked into your platform.

1 Like

VR will be WOW enough. Do you really think that people who are having their VR virgin cherries popped stop to geek out over color saturation and contrast ratios? In the dudebro gamer demographic? Dude, get real…

OLED with zero SDE is harder to achieve due to OLEDs usually using pentile subpixel structure, so LCD is both cheaper and has more subpixels at the same nominal resolution. Carmack himself said that if they weren’t already as far along in the product development cycle, Quest 1 would have gotten the Rift S’ screen. I understand you get all warm and fuzzy inside over OLEDs, but it won’t happen in any Oculus product again anytime soon.

They will not be making enthusiast headsets anymore. Again, the enthusiast segment is dead to them.

For me, LCD. Since there is no high density RGB stripe OLED and current LCD’s black level is decent and offeres higher hz, there is little possibility for OLED to come out again.

I never said they’re making enthusiast headsets, but considering most enthusiasts are upgrading to a G2(if not a Pimax headset) for 2Kx2K, you don’t think an almost 2Kxt2K headset is enthusiast-worthy, at half the price of a G2? I guess maybe you’d have to spend $ on better headphones, but OLED or not, it seems Quest 2 could appeal to almost anyone unless someone absolutely desires crazy wide FOV. Really not worth speculating anymore since we’re a day away…but it was fun to hear your side, and it seems you’re a bit bitter of Facebook so I’m going to leave that alone. Just remember, the VR Enthusiast youtubers are what the VR noobs are going to watch straight away, so Quest 2 needs to be impressive for them too.

1 Like

well maybe but if they hope to make that much $$$ with your data it’s freaking seriously frightening :wink:

Qualcomm's new Snapdragon XR2 is a 5G-compatible chip for mixed reality headsets | TechSpot.

1 Like

Lol yeah, might as well say the G2 definitely won’t beat the Quest 2 in the data-acquisition department

The G2 is a display, the Quest 2 a computer… with a RTX3090 you will beat the Quest. But again the Quest can also be a display.

But I think the lens will be better on the G2

Why did you take the part out of my statement where it was an obvious joke? I wasn’t comparing the actual headsets…but anyway, yeah with Link I think they could be close, but obviously the G2 will have better built-in sound and higher resolution. I don’t think it’s worth even speculating anymore since we’re a day away.

Dont tell me that, tell Pimax . :smile:

1 Like

yeah and i also find it funny that above we have math experts telling us how to calculate 8k , on the forum of a company that makes the 8k headsets with dual 4k panels.

This is why I love these forums, free apeech .

Its llike Sega vs Nintendo , or Coke vs Pepsi

Brand loyalty is such a psycological cluaterf…

As if these companies will be loyal to you the second you stop giving them money.

Its either that or you wear your company logo on your shirt, drive that toyota around town like a badge of honor.

It is what it is…its like 10 year olds shouting " my purchase decisions are better than yours na na na"