Project Cars 2 - Pimax 5k/8k setup guide

Hellblade, rawdata is also very nice when run in the same way.

2 Likes

I didnā€™t try the other yet, but I guess it will be better too :slight_smile:
By the way, when launched though Pitools, FFR works with Pcars, but the result is very bad, while the frame rate gain is very lowā€¦

2 Likes

Hello guys. I tried FFR with new NVIDIA drivers, and it works ! The balance mode gives more FPS while being almost invisible (you need to stop the car and focus to see it). Otherwise itā€™s not compatible with msaa.

Now i have a question. I spent two jours tweaking thĆ© sharpening settings and I didnā€™t see any differenceā€¦

Is it really taken into account ? By the way, it looks like the file to be modified is grapgicscondigoculusdx11 and not the openvr oneā€¦

1 Like

If you are using non steamvr ver. with apid hack then yes FFR works and you have modify graphisconfigoculusdx11 for sharpness. In my system this version is visualy downgrade with lower fps

2 Likes

I just received the 2080 ti I won with the review contest. I have been tweaking a lot, and damn it looks great !

now the new pitools has been released and here is my question : What is the best setting :

1. SS 1.0 with MSAA High
  2. SS 1.5 with SMAA Ultra and FFR on balanced

I think that MSAA introduces a bit of blur so the background is better but SMAA gives more sharpness with closer objectsā€¦

2 Likes

I tested yesterday only SM in 90 hz mode ( so 45 true frames) with Pitool 1.25 and Steam VR 60 %, SMAA Medium and was smooth and visualy ok.

Today tried SMAA High ( the same settings) and that was too munch , changed to 72hz with SM and visually look better but unplayable in long turn , too munch ghostingā€¦

So far SM with 90 hz is a winner for me.
FFR is not working here. What in game and pitool settings are you using with FFR ?
Are you running oculus version with no PP ?

I do not touch in games SS slider. Never:)

2 Likes

Yes I use Oculus version without PP.

What is SM ? Smart Smoothing ? I donā€™t get why people use the M ā€¦

Not sure about the settings, I have been tweaking a lot. Yesterday I tried pitools 1.5 with SMAA ultra on a snow track with the lancer evolution and it was smooth. Today I tried Le mans bugatti with 20 cars and it wasnā€™t smooth at allā€¦

I think I will have to tweak a lot to have something really smooth and niceā€¦ This morning I ended with Pitools 1.0 and MSAA on low and it was ok.
MSAA really helps to improve the picture quality with a kind of blur. Maybe @pimax could had a feature to creates this blur effects without the cost of MSAA ?

1 Like

Anyway I am really impress with the new pitools. I really think that we will have further improvements.

Well becouse SS was reserved for SuperSamlingā€¦but well next time I will avoid shortcuts

3 Likes

Yeah ok that makes sense !

2 Likes

Thatā€™s great news! They must have found a good logistics partner. :heart_eyes: Folks should receive their headsets quicker!

Congrats!

If I were Pimax I would have bought it from EU retailer and send it directly to him, maybe they did soā€¦

1 Like

Being as pimax has agreements with Nvidia to sell GPUs it is likely helped with this.

It will be interesting to see how fast the headset prize is received. :beers::sunglasses::+1::sparkles:

They did x) ( 20 characters)

1 Like

Cool what version did you get?

1 Like

First Price zotac gaming

1 Like

Wonder if Zotac will be able to make a mini (preferably ArticStorm)

I donā€™t knowā€¦ I will work on a better cooling system. It really needs to be overclocked to shine.

1 Like

For those who complain about not being cpu nor gpu bound, maybe this thread will be interesting.
https://community.openmr.ai/t/the-gpu-utilization-boost-is-not-only-working-with-dcs-world-it-works-in-steamvr-games-too/19960?u=schadows

SweViver did notice that running DCS (be it with default or OC profiles on his GPU), the game wasnā€™t fully using neither the CPU nor GPU.
Then by letting the game run, and enforcing default GPU settings (even when the values are already the default ones), the GPU utilization suddently goes up (in the 90% or more), with a huge gain in framerate. Even if he reapplied the OC settings the same way, the GPU utilisation stays the same with an even small gain on top of that.

And since then, the trick seems to work with other games. Iā€™m on vacation right now, and can test it, but did some of you tried that ?

As for me, after testing PC2 on a build with a stronger CPU (and my GPU), I could confirm the huge gain.
I eventually upgraded my CPU (i7-9700), motherboard, and RAM (DDR4 3200MHz), and can now play with confortable settings at 64Hz/fps. I plan to refine the settings when I come back.

3 Likes

I am not sure how he does it. Itā€™s from the Nvidia config panel ?

1 Like