Project Cars 2 - Pimax 5k/8k setup guide

It’s just my opinion, but I don’t plan on using FFR with pcars.

It’s fine for other types of games, but it doesn’t suit my playstyle in racing sim (which is similar to my daily driving style and/or trackday style). I already experiencing something close to what it should results with FFR due to the sweet spot of the lenses.

Usually, when I check the central mirror, I keep the head straight, just throwing a quick glance at the mirror (contrary to most other game types where I mostly turn my head and adjust the latest degree with my eyes).
But while the eye closest to the mirror is still looking in the sweet spot, the other one is looking at the most inner side of the lense, where it is a little more blurry.
Having each eye looking at images with different crispiness/blurriness is unsettling.

So I can only expect FFR to make things worse, hence, not waiting eagerly for it … at least for pcars.

Yeah I hear you.But :
FFR would allow for higher graphical settings, maybe higher MSAA
I use FFR on “balance”, and I really need to stop everything and concentrate to see the difference… Quickly there is more bluriness due to the lenses than due to the FFR…

Time will tell ^^

It does not look like the CPU is having a hard time.

2 Likes

Indeed.
(20 characters)

FFR works with PC2 in my stysem with oculus non PP version but anyway it was slow and visual quality downgrade

I had to dial down or off a lot of eye candy to get an even acceptable look and framerate. Even so I only run PC2 for laps and not racing. I am not a fan of the grippy tire model except in a few cars and prefer AC.
With a lot of what makes PC2 look so good, dialed back I did find these settings made it look and feel good enough for my limited play style.

Game med
PT 1.75, no Smooth, PP, 72 Hz FOV small

I can live with the small fov as I am pretty close to the lenses anyway and my use of this game is quite casual. At least the buildings look good and the drive is good enough to enjoy a run or two on those open road tracks in certain cars.
I could probably tweak more but this will do for me for now.

2 Likes

Just ran AC it goes steady in 90FPS, But I dont like the way the cars handles, it feel like driving on ice, oversteer and understeer. The cars in PC2 handles way better, but I guess this has been argued all over the net.

Just use the MX-5 Radbul :laughing:

4 Likes

If anybody is able to go pass 60 FPS, please post all your settings here :grinning::man_mechanic::+1:

2 Likes

real shame the frame rates are so bad ,put me down for a bmw with lots of torque steer 1978 320 Turbo Group 5 twitchy to say the lest
dont look out the s i d d d e w i n d o w damned frame rate damned

1 Like

By the way, there is an option under “3D settings” too choose the power management, on the NVIDIA control panel. (Right click on the desktop)…) Default isn’t max performance.

I put maximum performance, but I don’t see any difference while in game…

1 Like

Is this setting in PC2, Nvidia controlpanel, Pitool, windows, SteamVR, or in some OC software?

2 Likes

Sorry I forgot to mention that it was in the NVIDIA control panel. Edit to correct it.

1 Like

Question : to use smart smoothing, headset needs to be put at 45hz or 90hz ?

if you set 90hz than you will get 45 “true” frames with SM
personally 72/36 and 64/32 is too low for my liking

90/45 with SM for pitool .111 works great
72hz without SM in pitool .121 is good enough in my system

3 Likes

Looks like I’ve got some research to do. Just ran P Cars 2 and it was a bloody flicker-fest. Cockpit looked great. Windscreen wipers and beyond…if it was supposed to be a straight line, it was jagged and flickering. Dragged some sliders up and down and didn’t see any difference. Put OP’s pastebin settings in…no difference.

Assetto Corsa looked great without any fiddling.

I have given up on PC2 for now, Only driving AC. So please do some research and share everything with us.

Did you adjust the Pitool setting? In my experience, this game seems to be greatly affected by the Pitool setting. I tried SteamVR SS/in game SS, but changing the Pitool was immediately noticeable.

3 Likes

Indeed.
I like pcars 2 handling / tire model (and most of all, it’s features), but I have to admit that the default setup is absolutely not suited to my favorites tracks. For example, when I have little time, I like doing a 5 lap race at Spa in a GT3 car, but this is a understeer fest by default, and absolutely not enjoyable.

I only use AC for mountain pass races now, Initial D style.

1 Like

Guys, you need to pay attention to this topic :
https://community.openmr.ai/t/how-to-play-project-cars2-on-pimax-8k-5k-without-parallel-projections-and-steamvr/18644/48

It’s about disabling parallel projections, and there is two great benefits :

• fps gain, around 4ms, but my measurement method isn’t rigorous. Let’s say you can go from mssa low to msaa high without framerate loss.

• HUD is FAR MORE CLEARER !!! There is no comparison possible. It’s about going from an HD screen to a UHD screen. I think there is clearly a problem with SteamVR rendering method (I can’t be more precise on it) but the difference is stunning !

With this method, it’s hard to know which supersampling settings you are using (on my setup, I didn’t manage to use steamVR again), but I can just tell that with my RTX 2080 I went from
"Damn it’s ugly, I need a least a 2080 ti :frowning: "
to
“oh my god this headset is just awesome !!!”

This is the proof that there is some place left for further optimizations !

4 Likes