Project Cars 2 - Pimax 5k/8k setup guide

optimize your gfx profile in OC software, what memory do you have ?

To be honest the best visuals I had at pitools .111 becouse SM works great and with stable 45 fps I crancked resolution fo 3700x3100 (1.25 , SS 60%) Now with pitool. 121 SM on is unplayable becouse agresive ghosting but colors are more vibrant , so turned SM off and I have again settings with my first post. My suggestions guys lets wait for new pitool with better working SM and FFR.

@ebjornen @Lebois @Shadows

2 Likes

I got the same problem (detailed here : https://community.openmr.ai/t/low-gpu-usage-is-it-normal/18537/10)

For the moment, we donā€™t know why. I think that itā€™s due to the way RTX cards calculates the gpu usageā€¦

Yeah I didnā€™t have sucess with Smart Smoothingā€¦ I should try .111

I am drowning in acronyms here, :grinning: What is OC software and how do I know to optimize it. My memory is: Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR4 32GB. 2x16GB 2400MHz.

e.g : ASUS ā”‚ GPU Tweak II
:: Palit - ThunderMaster ::
Afterburner

Try to OC your DDR4 up to 3000 mhz in bios

My usage is 88~90% in PC2 but I have OC profile on my gfx card 2140 mhz with boost. ( Asus Strix RTX 2080Ti Gaming OC edition)

Hay ,can you tell me where you got all the kit for the actuators ,im looking for somthing but dont have a clue ,would be much appreciated

OK thank you for this. I have MSI 2080 Ti Trio, so I have to look into Afterburner. But I find it ridiculous to overclock to make it perform what it shuld be able to do out of the box.

You mean that the 2080 ti should be able to run the pimax with heavy supersampling ? No chance ^^

Well I dont know, but something is wrong when my card only perform ca. 60% and I cant pass 60 FPS.
temp is around 65. I have now overclocked in Afterburner, but it did not make any difrent.

The same hereā€¦ But once again, I think itā€™s due to the method that is used to make the GPU usage numbersā€¦ In reality, I think the gpu is running at 100%ā€¦

best place to start looking knowledge about simultors is xsimulators.net
I bought it at Prosimu.com

Edit there is one guy at xsimulator.net who want sell it , 6 month used - 2 accutators for 800 Euro . I bought it brand new for 1550 euro

1 Like

Impossible, not with a 65Ā°C reported bu @ebjornen. At 100%, the temp would be waaaaaay higher.

Seeing the GPU usage at 60%, I doubt any OC would give significant result.
Maybe itā€™s on the CPU side. You should check the usage percentage per core), because even if the overall CPU usage is low, itā€™s still possible that the usage of the cores where PC2 runs is high (Windows doesnā€™t allow the game to use all available cores and the game may not be optimized to parallelize too many things) while the others are mostly unused make the average usage irrelevant).

Also, I suggest for those who have 6 cores CPU or more to try the command line options ā€œ-pthreads 4ā€ to divide the computation of the 4 wheels physics in 4 thread, distributing the workload more evenly (donā€™t be a fool there are only 4 wheels on a car so the option only tale 1, 2 and 4).

2 Likes

:smiley:Thanks ill look into it see what i can do

1 Like

My CPU is Intel Core i7-7700 Kaby Lake Quad Core, 3.6GHz. It is running far from 100%, cant remember right now, but have not seen any reson to upgrade.

As I said, try to look at each core usage rather than the overall cpu usage.
Iā€™m not saying ts is necessarily the case, just pointing out some possible cause.

I have a i5 4690k (4 cores too, without multithreading but the gain it brings is negligible for games), running at 4.2 GHz, and I eventually noticed that despite having an overall CPU usage between 75% and 85%, I had at least 1 core running at more than 90% (sometimes 2) ā€¦ and Iā€™m using DDR3 which doesnā€™t help either.

I donā€™t have any CPU bound issues in other games, but PC is especially hard. The engine isnā€™t especially well optimized for VR, and simracing games are usually heavy on the CPU because of the AI and physics (GPU PhysX is only used in PC when the car is airborne), itā€™s easier to get CPU bound (once again, not saying itā€™s the case but itā€™s worth checking).

I suggest to test tempering with graphical features than are hard on the CPU because of the number of drawcalls they generate.

If disabling the crowds and lowering the track detail is helping a lot more than it should be, it could be a sign of cpu bound.

2 Likes

Windows 10 has been known to turn on core parking on major updates like Creators. Here is a nice utility to keep tabs on and unpark if necessary. StackPath

2 Likes

Iā€™ll check but I think I already checked and there wasnā€™t any problem (i7 8700 + 16g DDR4).
On top of that, with my old setup (1080 ti + Vive, I used to reach 90%-100% on gpuā€¦

Iā€™m less worried about CPU in your case, with your 6 cores and higher frequency in boost mode / oc.
Still, only cost a few minutes to check out the individual core usage.
Maybe even the pthreads option since you have (theoretically) at least 4 cores available to the game.

Also worth to check what @dogbite said about core parking.

The increase in FOV between Vive and Pimax should have (obviously) increased the number of things to display, hence the number of drawcalls, hence the CPU occupation (this isnā€™t a DX12 game).

I will test all these things shortly on another rig.

1 Like

I also hope that FFR will be activated soon, and that Pimax will optimize the rendering method.