Potential Performance issues @ Min Spec?

Do you think a gtx 1080 its enough to play games like everspace, redout, beat saber and doom vr and doom 3 vr in the pimax 8k ?

not to jump in but all pimax’s testing vids have been on a 1080 or 1070. That covers doom vr, beat saber

We didn’t see the graphics settings though, nor fps. Even though it looked ok on that monitor, it’s not a good conclusion yet.
Also, I think thesze types of results should be within final design, hardware and software, to be published.

3 Likes

Yeah, probably sweViver can not say anything yet because of NDA. But I hope it works fine. I dont need 90fps but at least 60/50 fps :slight_smile:

unless brainwarp works you are going to need more than 60 fps XD If you are getting 8k you need 80. 5k you need 90 or you will get reprojection. I’m pretty sure with a 1080 you will be able to play everything. Don’t know what your graphics settings will be, but you will be able to play.

1 Like

Not really bad; just not matured & as polished as we often see & expect. But I do use linux & often use unstable branches. :v::sunglasses::+1::sparkles:

I cannot be specific about it yet, but as for any of the current high resolution VR headsets, a high end GPU is needed if you want a good experience. There is a big gap between “works” and “playable” here, you need to remember that.

@mrRABBIT I would not say putting Vive SS to 3 or 3.5 is the same. I cant explain why but if you think a bit further about resolution, total FOV etc you imagine we are talking about a quite large number of pixels.

6 Likes

Destraudo provided a good overview of the pixels numbers in post 3 of this very thread…

4 Likes

Hmm, I would have thought Pimax 8k would be close to Vive SS at 350%…

Pimax 8k: 2560x1440x2 ~= 17.4m pixels
Vive SS 350%: ~= 2829x3143x2 ~= 17.8m pixels

In terms of pixel pushing, it is similar.

I could see the added FOV increasing the amount of mesh edges visible to the screens, so I suppose that is an area requiring more horsepower… But hopefully not a huge amount.

I plan on buying whatever XX80ti becomes available at every release because increased FPS reliability and increased SS always make a difference, and that’s just for VR gaming.

Btw… I <3 you SweViver ;). Keep making awesome vids.

EDIT: Pimax numbers were very clearly wrong, not sure how I managed that. My apologies.
Pimax 8k: 2560x1440x2 ~= 7.4m
Vive SS 350%: 2829x3143x2 ~= 17.8m pixels

This leaves the pixel count of my Vive SS 350% pushing 241% more pixels than the Pimax 8k will with SS at 100%…

3 Likes

I have to stay with gtx 1080 at least more two years. I see that I have to play all in low. If we could put ss to 0.5 or 0.3 its possible to help? I dont no if its possible.

1 Like

Pixels pushing is one thing. But on the otherhand your also rendering twice the FoV. Meaning more objects that you wouldn’t see on the vive.

3 Likes

will be honest a lot of what you have been posting is making me think i’m going to need an 1180 to run this thing reasonably. XD

3 Likes

Get a 1180 when it’s out. All this isn’t about needing, it’s about loving VR. Get whatever makes you smile the most.

4 Likes

yes, the deeper the eyehole the smaller the natural fov (Kris Kristofferson style :p). But still 180° is a huge thing, its completely from 12´o clock to 6`o clock :D. Sweviver, do you have checked the fov with the program I´ve linked? https://knob2001.itch.io/test-fov-rv-testsglare-readbility-lens

1 Like

I cannot test that Unreal engine version of the program, because it locks you into a position incorrectly for wide FOV headsets.

2 Likes

I think you have mixed something: vive with single eye resolution (2829x3143) and pimax both eyes (x2) so the 350% is far way over the top.

@SweViver
Oh, thats sad. Thanks for trying and answering :slight_smile:

need to figure out solid load numbers. need to nibble at heels of new tester until they tell us and also tell us if they created their internet moniker before or after the urban dictionary article was created.

1 Like

thanks for trying though

2 Likes

I have a 1080ti, but I can only put 1.7 SS in openvr advanced settings…(which is 170% only) without stuttering… what reprojection settings you have on? I leave “always on reprojection” and “asynchronous reprojection” on, always.

1 Like

is open vr’s advanced settings multiplying on top of a steam value?

1 Like