Potential Performance issues @ Min Spec?

The thing I don’t understand with using diagonal length as fov, is what to do with 360 degree fov then? That doesn’t make sense with a diagonal notation.

Diagonal is for flat screens (only), not screens wrapping around your head.

We have binocular vision so with two eyeballs and VR we have 2 screen overlap best described using arc degree to calculate the overall FOV. If you closed one eye for monocular vision then horizontal calculation could be used.

Not sure I have it right there myself though.

No, I think that’s the horizontal. You can see slightly behind the front of your eye, in your peripheral vision, while looking straight ahead. You can test it yourself: Look straight ahead and put your hands at eye-level near your ears. Move your hands around, since your peripheral vision is highly attuned to movement. Slowly bring your hands forward while still moving them and you can determine the extent of your vision.

I think that the reason you can see more than 180° is because your cornea and lens extend forward from the pupil and gather some light from further back than the front of your iris.

That made my head explode, need more coffee.

2 Likes

Yeah, it’s really strange. Biology is magical at times. I was confused when I first saw the 220° measurement too. However, strange as it is, while looking straight ahead, I can see hand movement near my ears, which are WAY behind my eyes.

Enjoy your coffee, I’m going to bed soon. This is clearly an international forum. :sunglasses:

1 Like

I still don’t understand how degrees can be diagonal, unless it’s inside a sphere. Seeing as it curves, so a bigger curve can’t produce a higher number because it comes back in again on the other side.

What I consider fov in VR is when seen from above as shown here in this piece of art I call ‘200 FOV yo’

2 Likes

100 left eye 100 right eye?

It was said to be 150 degrees per eye, with a lot of overlap of course. At least if you are human, not a horse… :wink:

2 Likes

I did this in 3ds max yesterday and also lold.

1 Like

@Pimel Found this that goes into the detail about Horizontal vs Diagonal FOV

1 Like

You would guess more than 20 degrees you say. XD

I have a high degree of confidence in your guesses.

I love you man but you are flying pretty close to the sun with these guesses.

1 Like

Well, that’s just trying to interpret known specs, not revealing anything that can be changed in a final version

Hehe I know its just guessing. I base it mainly on the simple trigonometry rules where diagonal is always longer than baseline, but I may be wrong here because the image is of course not a flat surface in this case.

Still, there is a fact people have different depth of their eyes and also depth of forehead, chins etc. I think those factors can differ peoples total field of view in real life as well. And 20 degrees horizontally is actually much less than you may imagine. Looking at the FOV test from Real o Virtual, its quite remarkable how small the difference is between lets say 90 and 100 fov.

2 Likes

Well…this is good news to me, hope they engineered a new piece of software and drivers from ground up…Piplay was a bad piece of software, really.

1 Like

And protruding eyeballs or not…maybe :grin:

1 Like

honestly i’m unconcerned with the number of the FOV. More so with everyone who had put it on their face has been blown away by the fov. I just want to slide on my ski goggles and throw my night vision goggles in the attic.

3 Likes

That was the reason why Oculus at the time did not want to state any FOV because they said there are a couple of factors which are variable and make it difficult to come up with a value. I think they stated a range of 95-115 or something like that, but it is quite a while ago so I may be getting the numbers wrong.

@Axacuatl exactly!

@destraudo its a huge difference for sure, no matter what number :wink:

1 Like

I’ve been running at at least 350% supersampling on my Vive for a long time. Butter smooth, no reprojections with all the games I run. Of course if I played trash ports such as Fallout 4 VR I would probably have to scale it back due to horribly unoptimized graphics.

In The Lab, I have it custom set to closer to ~3.5k x 4k per eye.

Calm down people. The 1080ti can handle more than the Pimax 8k’s res, and even the Pimax 8k X’s for the majority of VR applications.

Just get a 1080ti, or wait for anything a 1180 or above for the future. None of you should question whether a running a Pimax is attainable. It is clearly attainable on single GPU systems, now and in more attainable in the near future.

4 Likes

Well yes, 90-ish, of which only 70-ish is in stereo, both of which is the reason why if I wasn’t waiting for a P8k, I would have sourced a new Vive (broke my old one), and given it the replacement lens treatment, rather than keep using my Rift in the meantime. :7

I’m fine with 175. :slight_smile: