Potential Performance issues @ Min Spec?

This Topic is to Continue @RobCram 's concerns about

“Insurmountable issues with 8k performance - Outside Pimax’s Control”

Pimax 5k/8k headsets have a published Min spec to run on:

• Nvidia 980ti/1070 or Amd Equivalent

While many titles will run well on these Graphic cards. There are some to be concerned with.

Games that already challenge the limits of current headsets might not be thst forgiving. Some of Note:

• Elite Dangerous
  • Project Cars 2
  • Fallout 4
    And more…

While these may run on the min spec cards it will likely require low settings as they challenge even the strongest Cards on the Market today. Cards like the 1080ti might be able to run these games on high or perhaps extra high on reg headsets. The pimax 200FoV headsets are likely only going to be able to run hypothetically at med to med-hi settings.

But these are only 1 set of factors.

Many here have min cards to top cards. We can do a thought project by comparing settings say for ED with ppl like @Enopho & come up with possible best settings for the 5k/8k. We might even be able to predict a potential set of settings that may work for cards like the 980ti/1070.

@RobCram, I turn this topic back to you. :beers::sunglasses::+1::sparkles:

5 Likes

What exactly is new with this issue ? Isn‘t that one of the core issues every backer of an 8K, and even more so every idiot backer of an 8K(X) like myself has faced ?

Besides the general question whether I believe in the ‚all you ever dreamt of‘ proposition of the 8K, this was the one important question I asked myself - will I have the system to run the monster, or will it starve to death and catch dust while I go back to my Rift because I want to play the games, not either view a slide show or see them in 200 degrees with graphics quality of the late 90‘s…

So I am not exactly sure what has changed in the 8 months.

For those who put their hopes on Brainwarp, that still remains a big question mark. I personally have doubts, which admittedly are rather based on gut feeling than being technically well-founded. If it can be put to work with the average game, I expect it to have some serious draw-backs which prevented the likes of Oculus and Valve to go with it. But as I said, I cannot argue it if I am honest, so I just sit back and wait, just don‘t put too much hope on it.

I mean, throwing fov to the side. We know what the gpu load of this headset should roughly be.

snatched from reddit

[–]Chilkoot 6 points 2 months ago*
Let’s take a quick look at the input resolutions to see how much horsepower you’ll need for the Pimax 8k compared to current Vive/Rift:

Vive/Rift both have a pair of 1080x1200 screens running at 90Hz. Pimax 8k takes an input resolution of 2560x1440 per eye at 80Hz. Some quick napkin math and we get the relative computing power required by both:

Vive/Rift: 233 million pixels per second
Pimax 8k: 590 million pixels per second
So the Pimax 8k needs roughly 2.5x more graphics computing power to run without reprojection vs the current Vive or Rift.’

you can play around with this chart and divine whatever answers you need in terms of what an 8k is equivalent to in current headsets with ss enabled . I dont know if it accounts for 8k being 80 hz, but have fun.

oh last thing we do know is all of the pimax youtube channels vids have been on a 1070 and 1080. no 1080ti’s. but we also dont know the video settings or re projection that was happening.

15 Likes

Thanks for the chart. Interesting for sure! 8k pushing some pixels…

Thanks destraudo for this modified chart, here is the link to the full chart because vive/vivepro has a higher value to SS=1 Supersampling ratios Rift vs VivePro (vs Odyssey & WMR) - Virtual Reality and VR Controllers - IL-2 Sturmovik Forum

I hope ASW is on the way for pimax like they mentioned…

2 Likes

updated chart in original post.

2 Likes

Awsome post. Thanks for this!

last wrench in works.

these charts are per frame, meaning 8k’s gpu draw is approx 10-11 percent lower than indicated because of 80 hz.

first chart states projected Default ss number for 8k based on steam vr values, when we have absolutely no reason to assume it will use that as piplay is handling that afaik, so the default ss could be literally anything from 1.96 on vive pro to 1.1 on odyssey which makes an utterly monstrous difference , and the only way we will know for absolute certain what the gpu draw of the unit is , is by waiting for nda to lift and seeing tester benchmarks in raw fps.

god speed , im out.
edit for fun.

People like predictions so here is my baseless prediction. The default SS on the 8k will be precisely 1. Supersampling is what you do when you want to make up for the resolution of your display by rendering above that display resolution. But the 8k is never going to be able to render at its naive display resolution let alone above it, it reaches it by upscaling. Which means i think when pimax says its rendering at 1440p per eye, that means it is literally rendering it at 1440p, not the size of the display. Which would put the 8k’s gpu draw at ballpark 1.44 SS on a vive in second chart which is right in the strike zone for a 1070 with 10 percent breathing room thanks to 80 hz, and that whatever you can run on a 1070 at 1.44 without re-projection on a vive, you will be able to run on the 8k.

9 Likes

good logic, thanks for that.

I like the cut of your jib.

1 Like

That is somewhat reassuring, since my 980Ti is roughly equivalent to a 1070, not counting the overclock. As long as I run med/low quality settings, I should be OK in Elite Dangerous, at least until the 1180Ti is available. I’m skipping the 1180, since it’s only estimated to be a little faster than a 1080Ti (with a significant power savings).

4 Likes

It will be interesting to see how this all works out. My rig is posted on another thread, but I just ran a stress test of 10 Hours of ED - Ultra Settings, no SS @ 4K resolution (90 FPS) and managed to never heat past 62 degrees C with my AMD Vega 56 card. Using the information provided by @Enopho I think that I can get similar or better performance when the Pimax 8K drops. Remember that is is not just the card - it is your whole setup that will determine your personal performance envelope.

3 Likes

Indeed though one thing to consider is the increase in FoV means more potenial objects being rendered.

So if someone has an ultra wide Monitor might be something for a stress test. Even a 21:9 or better 2 Qhd Monitors in Exended side by side.

But good results.

2 Likes

If I am not mistaken in some areas the 980ti performs better than the 1070.

http://gpuboss.com/gpus/GeForce-GTX-980-Ti-vs-GeForce-GTX-1070

1 Like

For Elite Dangerous, the increased FoV doesn’t seem to make a huge difference in framerate, for my system. Back in April, I did some tests (ED allows you to see the FoV) at 150°, which is what each eye sees in a Pimax 8K.

Here’s a link to how to set the FoV: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?p=6585162&viewfull=1#post6585162

Here’s a link to my estimated 8K performance: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?p=6587568&viewfull=1#post6587568

If you continue reading that thread, there is some discussion that I might have been too optimistic and I have some revised estimates further on.

2 Likes

[quote=“Heliosurge, post:14, topic:6597, full:true”]If I am not mistaken in some areas the 980ti performs better than the 1070.

http://gpuboss.com/gpus/GeForce-GTX-980-Ti-vs-GeForce-GTX-1070[/quote]
Mine is overclocked, so I’ll get a bit better performance. I have an i7 CPU, but it’s an older, slower model.

All I really care about is: Will I be able to tolerate my performance in ED, until the 1180Ti comes out?

1 Like

Well there is still a plus side. Dialing quality settings down doesn’t decrease visuals as bad as it used to.

Ie Crysis each quality level drastically affects visuals.

I wonder if a 3d monitor would give closer comparison on gpu stress?

Probably. I think the rule of thumb is take the 2D framerate (at the same res and super-sampling as your headset) and divide the result by ~2.5 to determine your VR framerate. 2, because you need double the frames and .5 to account for the reprojection (to counteract the lens distortion). For the 8K, you’d get an even closer estimate if you set the FoV to 150°.

1 Like

I would love an option to use the steam vr render on the 8k

glad to see some of the ED settings helped you. i even run mine with vsync on not that it matters in 4k hmd. but i do sometimes play on 3 x 24inch monitors at 5760x1080 on surround screen setup… also looks pretty sweet with the added FOV.

2 Likes