Playing Grand Theft Auto V Using The R.E.A.L. VR Mod At 120Hz In The Pimax 5K+ Is Amazing!

Tested out the new update with the Pimax 5K XR today, looks stunning and runs so well. Been holding of the mod for the issues with the cut-scenes and things. But, as this new update sorted them it was time to get the game and finally play it.

3 Likes

update, ive determined after playing gtav on the rift,quest, og vive and pimax that Luke Ross was right and Pimax needs to reach out to him

No matter what I do it just doesnt look or work right on the pimax. But every other headset i mentioned works perfectly.

Filed an issue, and he doesn’t think he can fix it as he doesn’t have access to a Pimax.

Link to github, where he tells me to just play on quest

5 Likes

what settings are you using because if you see my post below it looks really bad for me.

fov is messed on start and only way to correct it a bit is to press f11 and then [numpad .] 2 times, but then the car wheels are floating everywhere and it looks super low res

1 Like

I made my FOV to Small within PiTool, as when I tried to use over Small it messed up for me.

In regards to to the mod install, I just ran the realconfig.bat file and did this on Medium - I did try this on High first and had some issues with stutter and very jaggy aliasing.

The from there I made a few changes in the settings in GTA itself, mainly because I did not like the see-through floating mini-map. In Graphics section I made it Windowed and 1080x1080

5 Likes

i will try this, never occured to me to use small (never does on a pimax), but if it works its better than nothing.

Can you explain what it looks like to you if you go to normal or large fov?

also PP on or off? and what refresh rate.

i feel like 120 would be best since the game runs at 60

2 Likes

Yeah I never thought about it, until I had some issues when trying to play games in vorpX - as that seems to like Small FOV setting.

When running it in large or normal, I seem to get slight aliasing issues, points where objects in the distance look like they have gaps in the joints (like around windows/walls) and also as you get close to things and walk past them they warp a little.

I also turn PP off, and have it set a 82hz refresh rate, as that is the max for the XR’s OLED panels

2 Likes

I figured out my issue, it seems that on Pimax i have to put my FOV to normal or small.
the largest FOV setting causes problems

3 Likes

Glad the FOV change worked for you :+1:

2 Likes

@SweViver hook him up!

4 Likes

lol, im tempted when I get my 8kx, to sell him my 5k+ at a very lucrative price if he would get large FOV working.

3 Likes

I installed the mod and have it running, however the graphics are terribly aliased. I tried changing the setting in the XML file to 2160x2160, but the jaggies are everywhere. Did I miss a setting somewhere? I left it at 1080x1080 in the in-game settings. Are you guys using antialiasing?

Looked fine to me (not perfect) with 1080x1080 and MSAA X2 + TXAA on (as the author of the mod suggests). In other words, I ran the setup script/bat file and changing only two options in-game.

If You want to change resolution, do it in the commandline.txt file in the game install dir.

I found out that forcing a custom resolution in commandline.txt , instead of only putting it in settings.xml , keeps GTA V from reverting to 800x600 every time that a graphics option is changed.

If you have at least a GeForce GTX 1080 Ti, I suggest the combo MSAA 2x + TXAA for extreme quality: you can win back some of the lost frame rate by dropping Post FX to Normal.

3 Likes

Thank you, are you setting AA in the XML file, or in game?

2 Likes

In game. It works now… :wink:

4 Likes

Ok, that’s what it was. I was using the xml file only to change the resolution. Just tested it out by changing it in the commandline.txt file and it looks amazing. Thank you so much!

2 Likes

You’re welcome. I know exactly how it feels… :nerd_face:

1 Like

Hey guys just letting you know. That OTHER GTA VR mod is a pre alpha now.

It has full motion controls. I haven’t had a chance to try it yet . But this is huge
http://grandtheftvr.com/pre-alpha/

4 Likes

Wow thats what I always wanted !!!

3 Likes

it’s really rough though nowhere near the R.E.A.L. Vr mod. yet.

1 Like

Hi guys !! @drowhunter @DrWilken @vrgamerdude @jTeller @dogbite @Ludiks

This mod is insane and I found out good settings to run it smooth (between 90-120 HZ) with amazing graphics.

As a simracer, playing this game with a wheel in this lively world is just a breathtaking VR experience.

BUT there is a specific issue with PIMAX and Luke Ross said “the issues are caused by the Pimax driver/runtime”

This problem occurs especially when you are aiming from a vehicle.
The stereo rendering becomes “abnormal” (double vision) like if you play a game without PP when is needed.

I would like to know if this was also the case for you.

I have tried several pitool combinations but for the moment no solution.

As in other cases, a solution would be to be able to launch the game in oculus mode. But I couldn’t do it.
I tried the same method as I use for Pcars or Automobilista 2.
On the previous mod’s version I ran it and I was stuck on the impossibility to connect to the Rockstar account.
This also reminds the same problem to launch Elite Dangerous without PP.
And now on the last mod’s version when I launch it from pitools nothing happens.

I hope that the next pitool developments will allow us to use the oculus mod with more efficiency.

Here you can try my graphics settings
Resolution > commandline.txt : -width 1024 -height 1024

Here some additional tips to further increase immersion

Additionnal GTA mods : ManualTransmission / RealisticDrivingV / InversePower / RealisticRoadGrip2.0 / Natural Vision / Ultimate Vehicle Sound Swap V5.0 / HeapAdjuster (HEAP_SIZE = 1500)

PIMAX 5K+
Pitool : V1.0.1.253 / Render Quality 1.25 / 120Hz / FOV Normal / No SS / No FFR / No HAM
Firmware : V2.1.255.255
SteamVR : 86%

Config : RTX 2080 Ti / i9-9900KF / RAM 64Go

Hardware : Thrustmaster T300 + TH8 / Hotas T16000M / SIMHUB Bass Shakers + Fans WindSimulator

5 Likes