Playing Grand Theft Auto V Using The R.E.A.L. VR Mod At 120Hz In The Pimax 5K+ Is Amazing!

As expected the A button is working lol.

Question: Just curious for anyone who has been tinkering with the visuals, have you found a happy median with the resolution and antialiasing settings while still maintaining a decent frame rate? Most higher resolutions just lock the screen for me, although 800x600 works there are jaggies. I havent messed with the mod setting file much but when I have the results are pulling my eyes out of my head.

Having trouble as well getting the steering wheel mod to see my separate shifter, although the wheel and pedals are working fine. I have the Logitech G920 with separate shifter and clutch pedals.

edit: All inputs from wheel/pedals/shifter working normal in other games like DirtRally2

1 Like

Currently running at a personally acceptable frame rate at a res of 2100 x 2100, configured from the “high settings” file only. Keep the H and V variable the same, that way it translates to a better looking image due to the limitations of this mod and the original game engine. I have found that tinkering with in game graphics is not a good idea, use the settings file only. What a beautiful living world Santos is.

Pitool:

smart smoothing off
parallel projection on

120hz on Normal FOV

edit: always set the settings file as “read only” after making changes so that the game can’t muck with it. I’m going to try higher res setting later after the family Xmas thing. Looking for that one setting from who knows where yet, pitool, Steamvr, settings file of MOD, that will increase performance and smooth-out slight jaggies now seen without affecting current visual state that I have gotten to. The higher the res the better it hides the jaggies.

2 Likes

Thanks for that info…! :+1:

2 Likes

Ill get back to you on this as I run a separate th8a shifter myself but I havent gotten around to setting it up yet.

Im sure i can figure it out

1 Like

It takes some tinkering around in the manual transmission mod but I finally have it detecting all my imputs and feels great driving with a separate shifter and clutch pedal (Logitech G920+ shifter). Steering/shifting is so accurate and configurable it emulates the driving experience of my real car lol.

I have the game res now set at 2560 x 2560 and although the fps are hovering around 60ish it’s just too beautiful to drop down lower. This living breathing world created by Rockstar exceeds any open world game I have seen yet. Looking forward to GTA6 now in production. Never feel nauseous but I have good vr legs and always set smooth locomotion and no “vr comfort” restrictions in games, hate that.

3 Likes

Ok just spent some time in the manual transmission menu and came back to say I had no issues setting up my h shifter

I even set up the left and right turn signal to buttons on the wheel. Mod is pretty amazing combined with VR.

Is it just me or are you compelled to drive according to traffic laws too :slight_smile:

Another mod you can install to take this further is . @vrgamerdude

3 Likes

Can you get any of the recenter view techniques to work?

I tried the head shake and the numpad \ key to no avail.

You have to press F11 to enable the hotkeys first.

1 Like

wow really? I must have missed that. Thanks

1 Like

weird when I turn PP on the images was not correct I had to turn PP off for it to work.

tried it, not working for me. I mean recentering vr-view in-car to line up with steering wheel and seat etc…hitting F11, then \ , does nothing. No doubt Dr Wilken is right just not working for me. So many variables can influence on a pc install with layers of software/mods etc, hard to say. Could be user too :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

In PT I have PP, Hidden area mask, 120hz/nomal FOV and looks good. Did you restart game between changes? (stupid question I know) I have PP turned on because first person holding pistol aimed at target was crosseyed with PP off, for me.

1 Like

Try this from the readme:

If you cannot seem to trigger the recentering, follow these instructions:

1. keep your head quite still for a second: this is needed because we don’t want to have false triggers when you’re jerking your head around continuously, e.g. during combat;
  2. give a rather sharp shake to the left or the right (a single one is enough, even though the mod can also deal with repeated shakes) and immediately return your head to the initial position. By sharp I don’t mean so hard as to hurt your neck or to have the headset slide around on your face: just enough to allow the mod to reliably distinguish the movement from a normal look-around motion;
  3. the mod will wait for a fraction of a second to allow your head position to stabilize, and then it will instruct the VR runtime to recenter the headset. There will be no visual or acoustic feedback that recentering has happened, but you’ll always be able to tell because the HUD will snap back in front of you (and so will your vehicle if you’re in one).

I know this it’s the first thing i tried. Is this actually working for you?

2 Likes

Hey this started last night, but I can no longer launch the game. I reinstalled it and have no mods installed but the rockstar launcher closes and the game doesnt start

So here’s something suspicious. You remember that other VR mod for GTA called GTAVR ?

We know they said they are working on updating their VR mod that allows full usage of hands and stuff.
Well it’s new years day and I just checked their site and its down as of me writing this

https://grandtheftvr.com/

Im going to take this as a positive sign that it is down for construction and will be released very soon

1 Like

I have tried the mod with the Samsung Odyssey + and it works good so far but I have one problem with it and would like to know if anybody else have this too:

When in game I have the game in full vision on the Odyssey but in the middle of my vision there is a “window” with the same picture like the whole game but only in smaller window.

So that is distracting my view because it’s in my view direction.
I can turn the character around and then the “window” is moving to the side but that can’t be correct.

I have tried the HIGH settings file with 1080x1080.
Problem was there too.
I turned the resolution up to 2160x2160 (in the commandline.txt) like it was mentioned here and the picture is now crisp and without jaggies.
Steam SS is set to 210%

But how do I get rid of the second view window ?
Any ideas please ?

EDIT:

I forgot to set this setting. This might be it. I will report back tomorrow.

Settings> Advanced Graphics> Frame Scaling Mode
must be either 5/2 (x2.500) or 2/1 (x2.000)

4 Likes

well was that it, i’m curious?

1 Like

A big thank you to Luke Ross for this great mod. It’s the best GTA V VR experience that I had after using the VorpX (gave me instant motion sickness) and GrandTheftVRmod that was also jiddering.

@drowhunter
Well it was not the solution.
I have added the Scaling Mode=9 to my settings.xml (normally this is already set in the HIGH xml of the mod) but that gave me just a small window like using theater mode and watching the game on a virtual screen.

Have tried higher Nvidia desktop screen resolutions (by DSR) not helped at all. Still a small window.
So I disabled the Scaling Mode again. Setting it from 9 to 0 in the xml file.

For my best experience I use the settings from my post above.
The HUD is out of the visual boundaries then but you always have the smaller window (like 1080x1080) in your back if you need the HUD or menus.

I turn off the 3D vision (F11 key and then NUM 2). That way the 3D is gone but the picture less jiddering.

I have optimized my GTA V with the help of the page below. Turned off many unneeded features and raised the FPS from 23 to 45. Which is still low but now playable.
The graphics are still great.

I still have jidder when turning the head but looking straight and walking along the streets is good. I will have new PC hardware soon to improve the FPS:

1 Like

new update v4! Perfect cutscenes in VR !

and stlll from the readme.

WMR and Pimax headsets are still not properly supported; I contacted both Microsoft and Pimax about the issues, so fingers crossed, but don’t hold your breath.

come on pimax!

9 Likes