Pitool Beta v1.0.1.271 Discussion

Well we know the 90hz at this moment on the 8kX is delayed until the new firmware is released. Until then 90hz is mostly not working.

Kevin stated as much as pitool 271 was supposed to be released with the new firmware; however the engineers found a couple of issues/bugs and the firmware needed is delayed.

I can though if you want move Timo, Kevin & linked responses though they are related to opinions on 90hz being even viable on the 8kX.

Though the original topic is purely pitool 271. Of which til the new firmware is released 90hz 8kX not really part of the discussion as required firmware that may work is absent.

5 Likes

To anyone who has ever used 90Hz with their 8KX, does the persistence at 100 brightness get better at all? I only have a 1080Ti and the one thing that bothers me is that if I put the backlight to anything over 75% I see ghosting (definitely seems to be higher persistence). I was just wondering if 90Hz/new firmware helps that out in some way. I’ve critiqued the colors to my liking, and at 100% brightness, or even in the 90’s, I can enjoy it, but the persistence kinda kills it. Currently using my Index at like 140% brightness because it’s awesome, but of course the resolution isn’t the best. If only the Index panels were just slightly more res I think it would be perfect (something like 1800x1800). Pro 2 is on the way…

2 Likes

In some games I don’t notice it much, but in a game like sports bar, playing pool, you can very very clearly see a trail of ghosting following the white ball, this is under a high contrast scenario.

This is with 90hz and 91 brightness, I’ve turned down brightness to 75 and getting similar results.

2 Likes

Hmm, this is probably waaay in the future…maybe it’s not even worth doing.

But, Geforce experience actually finds the ini fikes and what nkt and then edits the in gane settings for you.

Not at all. First version will let people show screen shots of their config screens inside the profile. It will be quite simple yet save gamers huge chunks of time experimenting.

4 Likes

i use similar settings but in potato fov and i’m severely CPU bottlenecked on my i5 8600/rtx 3080 (especially with ultra planet settings) – are you sure its your GPU bottlenecking you with no mans sky?

2 Likes

yes i can see all values! I use the app: FPS VR

My system:

CPU: I7 8x 5ghz
Ram: 32 GB 4000mhz
GPU: MSI 3090
M.2: GIGABYTE AORUS NVMe Gen4 SSD 2TB

read speed: up to 5000 MB / s
Write speed: up to 4400 MB / s

Water cooling.

Utilization of the graphics card between 80-100%

1 Like

What is your criteria for maximum setting? Pitools at 1.0? Steam VR at 100%?

I mean I can run the 8K X on my laptop. Obviously I have to fiddle but the image is quite good. However, I am still at 75HZ

3 Likes

Providing 90Hz / FPS for the 8K-X is a nice feature.

But let’s don’t forget, it always depends on the game you play:
Lucky Tales, Beat Saber, and probably a lot of other low-to-medium-graphic titles I don’t even know, might work well with 90 Hz in the 8K-X. And as those games don’t provide superior AAA-graphics, not as detailed textures, etc., of course I might not loose to much image quality when turning down some settings in order to achieve those 90 Hz / FPS stable :+1:

On the other hand, once again:
If playing only low-to-medium-graphic games and/or turning down details, why should I invest in an expensive HMD such as the 8K-X is…? :flushed: :face_with_raised_eyebrow: A 5K+ / 8K+ already would do fine :thinking:

Why did I upgrade from my backed 5K+ to the 8K-X ?

=> Because I play high-detail games and simulations, and although the 5K+ with 140% SS already was a very nice HMD, its image still remained a little bit blurry, and there as a little SDE. Just a little, hardly noticeable. But there was.

When I first tried my truck sim’s, Dirt Rally 2.0 or Elite Dangerous in the 8K-X, everything was so much sharper and crispier.

Nonetheless
… even the 8K-X still has a lot of room for details! Or better said: The 8K-X finally reveals, that

1. 1k and 2k textures and sometimes even 4k textures still aren’t detailed and sharp enough when having the image right direct before the eyes.
  2. Same for shadows: When playing isometric games on the monitor or fast First-Person-Shooters on 32" in a distance of 80-100cm, I certainly can turn down shadows by 25 or 50%. On the one side, I am note close enough to notice the last lack of sharpness of the shadow edges; second, I am not as focused on such details as I am in VR. But when playing real world simulations in VR, and the shadows look blocky and weird, I will notice this instantly.
  3. As soon as lowering the in-game resolution or SS by more than 10%, the image tends to get noticeably blurry again.
  4. Even the two 4K-panels of the 8K-X itself aren’t the end of the line :point_up: I personally expect something between 6K and 8K-panels to be the minimum in order to not notice any blurriness and SDE any more.

But:
The other hardware - CPU’s and GPU’s - will have to grow with that, too, and so will have all the games: As long as the majority of the gamers are playing on 144Hz+ 28-32"-monitors, the resolution of textures probably will not improve as much as needed especially for VR.

So, from my personal point of view, we can look at that topic from all different sides:
But we still haven’t got the performance needed for really sharp, crispy, high-detailed VR-gaming with 75 Hz / FPS already besides VR casual games. Which of course is legitime for everybody playing those games and having fun with them, no doubt about that :+1:
But there are also VR gamers out there such as me or Timo and probably many others, which don’t see as much room for turning down graphics and details and optimizing FPS this way than the aforementioned ones. Just despite all of Pimax’ display improvements over its competitors :+1: :muscle: :sunglasses: :partying_face:, we still aren’t there where we’d like to be, if we just had a wish to come true :wink:

So, for some, having 90 Hz now in the 8K-X is a welcome benefit.
For others, such as me, none at all :man_shrugging:

6 Likes

Right. One of the reasons I got my 8KX is that I figure it could last through several GPU model cycles. Each new generation will allow you to bump up the visuals. For now, I have a 2080. Given the current GPU situation, I’ll probably wait to upgrade to a 4080 and completely skip the 3000 generation.

6 Likes

Let’s also not forget the game’s software. Programs, drivers etc… Also need to be made more efficient and use modern features to fully utilize the hardware available. We may still need better hardware to fully utilize the 8kX fully.

4 Likes

that depends on the game. Just take a look at my profiles.

I’m looking at the resolution in SteamVR.

I prefer Pitool to 1.5 and less in SteamVR. (40-60%)

that makes it look a little better in Pimax Experience. the picture is sharper.

3 Likes

Pitool bug.

Windows 10
Nvidia 461.33

Will change the desktop contrast/brightness settings but closing and opening pitool will get the desktop back to normal and it will not do it when you open Pitool again

3 Likes

Anyone tried running 90Hz on nVidia Studio / non-gaming drivers? I need them for CAD work to run more stable and faster.

2 Likes

Welcome to the OpenMR Forum! I have bumped your user level by 1 for your convenience.

@MikeJeffries might be able to answer your query.

1 Like

Im not sure how to run CAD with the pimax. I know with the nvidia drivers and an nvidia 2080ti or 3090, you should be able to get the pimax 8kx to run at 90hz

2 Likes

Do you know the Studio non Gaming drivers for Nvidia? I think that is the main question for the 90hz mode.

I actually meant getting 90Hz to work on nVidia Studio drivers.
The software running is probably not going to care about 75Hz or 90Hz, but I was asking about wether the driver will keep me from running 90Hz, because it seems to be picky on gaming drivers already.

Edit: Oh and switching to Game Ready isnt an option because of stability and performance of my work tools, thats why I was asking in the first place.

1 Like

Is the drop to and hold 30 25 20 fps when it cant hold motion smooth something new you are not telling us about or does that come from SteamVR? I have not seen any mention. I see this in DCS World

can somebody upload/share latest closed beta firmware for 8kX as I cant open links (site regional redirects break it) I already got 271 pitool, just want to try check if 90hz works on my driver version without rolling back to the old one