Pitool Beta v1.0.1.271 Discussion

There is a version that is newer than that was intended to be released along with 271. A couple of issues were discovered that caused the engineering team to want to do another internal version which is currently being tested.

271 has a lot of technical benefits though so it’s good that it’s released, but it doesn’t allow pairings with the latest nvidia drivers without the corresponding firmware update. Once the firmware update passes all of the internal tests we can release it at least as a beta. This version has more 8kx benefits than just allowing the latest nv driver btw.

9 Likes

If anyone is interested in being a tester please let me know and send me a PM.

7 Likes

Same, no 90Hz, with a 3090 :frowning: The new pitools didn’t improve things.

2 Likes

It seems, as mentioned by PimaxUSA right above Your post, that we need an updated firmware too.

3 Likes

Yes, in my case, it is probably my Thrustmaster wheel, too (T500 RS). I don’t know why Pimax shows a screenshot of the audio devices… :man_shrugging: Might be there is more than one type of device causing this mis-recognition…?
Anyway, it took me also some time to investigate this as the linked FAQ and topic is a little bit “hidden” on the PiTool driver homepage. Can’t even remember how I stumbled across this; might have been a topic in the forums.

But I admit I don’t want to uninstall and reinstall Thrustmaster drivers everytime there is a new Pimax firmware - so, meanwhile, if necessary, I’ll do that on my convertible. Takes a couple of minutes more for plugging the HMD, and the convertible is a bit slower, but at least I don’t have any remaining driver file mess on my gaming PC causing other incompatibilities the sooner or later.

3 Likes

you are all very funny.

you are discussing about 90hz mode.

The funny thing is, the RTX 3090 is still too slow to even create that many pictures.

There are only a few games that work well with 90hz.

In most games, the graphics have to be greatly reduced so that the 3090 can even create as many images.

so that 90hz looks good you need the power of two rtx 3090s.

I find everything else ridiculous.

There is no graphics card that can sensibly display 90hz and at the same time looks good.

3 Likes

I can play many games with solid 90fps on a 2080ti, including rF2, AC, ACC, dirt rally 2
Alyx, roborecall…

For sure you have to find a good compromise between image quality and
frames per second…

And a 3090 should be 60% faster…

Is great to have 75hz and 60hz mode too…xD

8 Likes

yes compromise is not a good option for me.

i want native 4k per eye in high or ultra settings. with normal FOV or large FOV.

that doesn’t work with 90hz.

sometimes a problem even at 75hz. Especially when playing with PP.

90hz is out of the question.

1 Like

I totally agree with you :+1:

I certainly haven’t bought an 8K-X for hundreds of dollars in order to downsample resolution and lower details so I can get stable 90 FPS. If I’d like to go for such “compromise”, then, I could have stayed with the 5K+ - this one even goes up to 114 FPS or so, if I remember correctly.

Of course, it always depends on the games you play.

But I only play Open World games in my 8K-X - truck sim’s, Elite Dangerous, RPG’s via vorpX -, and all those games have large benefits from the larger resolution and high details. There might be people which like it more to drive / fly around with SS @75%, low and medium details, but having 90 FPS, for sure :+1: - but I prefer 100% SS and details as maxed as possible, even, if I can get only 60-75 FPS or in some areas even less.

Not that I wouldn’t like to have stable 75 or 90 FPS, no doubt about that :wink: And of course, I feel that increase of immersion when I have stable 75 FPS for a couple of seconds or more :+1:

But as long as I get >50 / >60 FPS in 99% of the areas and scenarios, I don’t want to sacrifice image resolution and detail quality :slight_smile:

1 Like

Get another VRheadset then, pimax 8kx is way ahead of a nv 3090 and can make it knee, even at 60hz.

5k+ can go as fast as 144hz, a 3090 is not ready to play PC sims at full graphics with SS and 144 fps.

I really dont understand what you guys want.

They give us 90hz and we have to be very granted with pimax engineers today and tomorrow we have to ask for 120hz

That really is an arbitrary standard for settings. In effect you are saying you need to see it on “Ultra” etc… or there is compromise. There are loads of settings that affect the visuals on your average game that can usually be used to increase fps with only tiny visual differences.

90%+ of VR games on an 8KX you can hit 90Fps with little or no compromise at all on a 3090. Games like MSFS2020 you can’t hit 90FPS on *any VR headset or any video card with even middling settings. Tech like DLSS and DFR now being available is starting to improve that for that small percentage of games that remain.

I would add that smaller pixels in an unscaled image = less need for super sampling. That is why on an 8KX the requirements often aren’t too much of a jump from a 5K+.

11 Likes

I know what I’m talking about!

I wrote most of the Pimax Experience Profiles and made them available for all of you.

There are about 30 profiles that I have uploaded to the cloud. And I keep creating more.

I always tried to set the best optics.
And with 75hz I quickly reach the limit of feasibility. I’m still missing some graphics performance. (with 75hz)

Profiles created for:

Pimax 8XX
RTX 3090

Most games do not run well enough for me with an RTX 3090 with the 8KX in their current state.

not as good as it might look.

And I always want maximum graphics and stable FPS.

there is still room for improvement for the Pimax 8KX!

you don’t need to teach me. I’ve been with Pimax since the beginning.

Better take care of the promised thing such as headphones (DMAS) to be completed.

1 Like

Only in a few titles that support command line parms (like hl-alyx) can you control the extremely important ingame settings from a PE profile. In the future we’ll support better ways to show people what settings to set inside each game.

But the profiles only solve 1/2 of the issue because it’s in the detail settings where you can make a huge difference. Often ingame settings can cause a giant fps gain with almost no visual difference in VR.

No need to teach you but really you made no mention of one of the most fundamental techniques to achieve the best results with almost no visual difference from Ultra settings.

4 Likes

Then do it yourself!

Show me new No Man’s Sky settings that look better than my No Man’s Sky settings.

I also created No Man’s Sky Profile for Pimax experience.

No Man’s Sky is a good example. because No Man’s Sky supports DLSS in VR.

Show with settings for 90hz mode that look better than my settings!

I deliberately used parallel projection because otherwise the graphics on the sides would pop. And I don’t like that.

https://pimax-vr-experience.artarmin.com/game_profiles/16

1 Like

I do, in fact I wrote our MSFS2020 guide and tested each setting to gauge visual and performance impacts.

It will take some time to generate a nice profile with the new version (only 2 days old) of NMS. I’m a fan of NMS so I or somebody will probably get around to it.

3 Likes

With these settings in 75hz, my MSI RTX 3090 is at its end!

To everyone reading this please don’t take it the wrong way. I’m going to start with an example
Me and my friend have the same spec’s i9 9900k, 3090, 32gb of ram, on warzone he gets like 50+ fps lower than me. The reason is my pc is fine tuned, cpu overclocked to 5.1 my ram is bdie and timings are tuned, my 3090 is also overclocked. His cpu is at 5.0(might go higher) and he also has a overclock on his 3090,(may not be optimal he may have his memory OC to high, he does his own thing and doesn’t really like to listen to me) and is his ram is not timing tuned only on xmp profile.

Point is my PC might hit 90hz with higher settings than most with the same spec’s. Some people think having a 3090 should give everyone with the same gpu the same results or having the same exact pc spec’s should give the same results. You have to fine tune your PC to get the most out it. So don’t be discouraged by other people having to lower their settings so much to hit 90hz, your pc might be better tuned than there’s and may have 90hz with higher settings.

Cloud Profiles are great but I feel they are based on that person’s pc not mine. What if I can go slightly higher and I’m limiting myself to lower settings. Am I wrong for thinking this about the cloud profiles. Please let me know.

11 Likes

Not at all. I haven’t really used any cloud profiles yet, and I added a few for 2080 Ti cards. I feel that my criteria and personal preference for performance vs visuals may be different to someone else’s. Eg I can tolerate Motion Smoothing and FFR as I am usually insensitive to it, whereas many people cannot. This means I can have extra details and a better frame rate.

4 Likes

Honestly I think you’ve hit the nail on the head. @Timo.H1 was saying his preferences of max graphics(best graphical look from his PoV). @PimaxUSA is correct from his PoV of little changes in visual quality. (Similar to when he admitted he thought the DMAS was ready and a more audiophile had complaints -> Result DMAS is going through further refinements and testing) Kevin’s observation wasn’t invalid; just his aquity is lower than others in Audio Fidelity.

Timo.h1’s point valid to the point of newer titles or older ones that were very demanding say for example Hellblade of the older games that are truly demanding.

Visual aquity is primarily in the Eye of the Beholder. Maximizing settings based on one’s hardware lottery and tweakability can make a huge difference between essentially identical setups. There is a reason cpu and gpu are often called silicon lottery as some batches or some chips within a batch are highest quality vs the baseline for a qc pass.

Some folks can see differences in high fidelity vs others whom may think they can and see minimal to no difference between setting adjustments.

8 Likes

@Heliosurge No offence but all this discussion about game setting for rtx 3090 should be continued in another topic.
Looking for solutions and opinions related to 90hz with latest nvidia drivers and PT 271 in general.

3 Likes