Pitool 1.0.2.086

Thanks for this update !

6 Likes

I am fortunate that with the exception of playing with the soft ipd settings to induce eyestrain. I donā€™t get eyestrain.

2 Likes

Thanks for the update. I did the color adjustments last night and was really happy with the increased color saturation but it was a bit too dark. I was going to wait until the official release to get the new firmware but Iā€™ll probably go ahead and download it. I can imagine how nice it will be to have the colors that Iā€™m now seeing along with a bit more brightness.

Played about an hour in ATS last night after making the color changes and it felt like a new game. The whole world just seemed more alive with the more vibrant colors. The greater darkness in that game wasnā€™t an issue but I could still tell that it would look even better with a bit more brightness

1 Like

Probably be a good idea for someone who has actually done the color changes and backlight update to post a separate thread about this so that more users see it. I only stumbled across it since itā€™s buried in this Pitool post.

@arminelec @SweViver would it be possible to change the default values of PE color and panel brightness to more closely match these changed settings once the PE update is ready? Would be a big improvement for people to see the 8kx this way instead of at the current default settings. Also would be nice because it would mean not having to go into each separate game profile to make these updates.

2 Likes

After testing a few games, the perceived image quality seems to be more clear and sharp,

In the real-o-virtual steamvr environment, the smallest line in the eye test, the letters are more defined and easier to distinguish.

Half life alyx: really nice color, the gloves look even better, the laser sights give a really pop red saturated color looks really good.

Skyrim: Can tell straight away everything is sharper and more clear than before. looking trees and my followers.

watching movie: yep more clear and sharp. sort of felt like got a small resolution bump.

now everything is more bright and looks more natural.

backlight firmware is a game changer! I think during all the time I have spent fiddling around with settings on the 8kx, this gave the most visual improvement so far.

12 Likes

Just so weā€™re clear:

This is you using the 8KX after you have installed PiTool 1.0.2.086 as well as the shared fw to adjust backlight and having applied the colour corrections listed above?

Iā€™m excited to give this a shot tonight!

4 Likes

Using the PiTool 1.0.2.086 and the shared fw, with the above colour correction and backlight at 91.

I find in some situations this correction might be too contrastyish but I will leave it like this for now and check out more games, Im quite enjoying the color boost and the brighter scene makes it much more natural looking.

I tried a hmmā€¦ a ā€˜scienceā€™ video, those settings make it much more realistic and clearer.

2 Likes

Indeed,but for me those color settings are to extreem.

I now have the backlight on 92.

And the all colour settings on +1 contrast and -3 brightnessā€¦
it gives me the best image and pop in the picture.

7 Likes

going to try your settings now

3 Likes

This sounds great, excited to try the latest PT, FW, and colour settings tonight.

So installing 086 will remove PE or stop it working? Can I just reinstall it and it will work happily with 086?

1 Like

You just need to reinstall the pimax experience after installing the latest pitool and the firmware flash

4 Likes

you are right, 1 -3 does look better,

just reverted my settings back to prior to the fw update for comparison, itā€™s quite a difference.

very pleased with this change.

6 Likes

What settings exactly did you settle on for now, including backlight level?

1 Like

This would likely be good to have selectable presets profiles like your TV. Iirc you can adjust these on the fly. So a screen with a good pic to try default profiles might be an idea.

5 Likes

The only thing now is missing i think is a gamma correction optionā€¦

2 Likes

After a session of Skyrim I also ended up with - 3 +1 across all channels, nights just became too vivid. I prefer having BL at max, but I do feel the panels heat my face more than before. Nothing comes without a cost I guess.

Edit: Tinkering, tinkering. Changed red channel to -4 +2, kept G&B at -3+1 and got rid of a faint green tint :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Wow - didnā€™t know about Dfu.exe

Well, that would be the way to go for everyone wanting an easier time of flashing their headsets.

Will keep it in mind for next time - Thanks. :+1:

2 Likes

I couldnā€™t flash it through dfu.exe. It didnā€™t show any info regarding the HMD so I gave the DfuSeCommand.exe a go instead.

Hereā€™s a quick ā€œhowtoā€:

• Unpack DFUupgrade.zip somewhere (remember the path - You can copy paste it later when cdā€™ing to the directory)

• Place firmware file in same folder af DfuSeCommand.exe

• Enter DFU mode on HMD
    Hold all three buttons on the HMD (must be in off mode when starting)
    Release the power button after 8 seconds
    Release the volume up button after 8 seconds
    Headset is now in DFU mode (led cycling through different colors)

• Open a command prompt (cmd.exe)

• Change to the directory where You unpacked the DfuSeCommand.exe (cd C:\path\to\DFUUpgrade directory) - right click for pasting the path

• Run DfuSeCommand.exe 0 <firmware_file.dfu>

• Power cycle HMD

Download the tool here:

6 Likes

It does work,you need to reboot your pc.And start the dfu.exe file.

place the firmware file and flash.
Dfu doesnt show your pimax 8kx connected but it will flash the firmwareā€¦(its a bug)

6 Likes

Same here with a 5K+ (for me below 16 screen goes black)