Pitool 1.0.2.086

Hi there, just wanted to ask if any of you experience a slight bit of ghosting or blurring while moving your head with this pitool?

2 Likes

I agree, significantly less eyestrain when I pull the HMD away (=eyes further away from lenses)

1 Like

Regarding the backlight setting, I have tried to do the opposite everybody is doing, tried to set it as low as possible to check how it affects black level, but it seems black level just remains the same and you just lose all the contrast when backlight is set to the minimum.

3 Likes

It does affect black levels in the upper range at least, seems around 80 is the sweet spot

2 Likes

Yes, Iā€™ve noticed the blur after this update. It really looks like a motion blur that some games would add to smooth things out. Previously I didnā€™t see it, however @NextGenVR pointed this out weeks ago on his headset, while I never noticed it. Maybe it was always there and it could be the additional brightness showing it off, but I guess Iā€™d have to go to older versions to check. I just donā€™t feel like testing things back and forth to be honest.

3 Likes

I thought I tried even though it didnā€™t see the device, but I guess I didnā€™t thenā€¦ :wink:

Anyway, I like the power of a good command line tool (work habit, I guess)ā€¦ :wink:

Try with some double-sided velcro then? You can buy a roll on AliExpress or Amazon (if You canā€™t stand the wait)ā€¦ :wink:

https://www.amazon.de/Velcro-strap-both-sides-roll/dp/B019QJIR5K

EDIT: The one above is maybe a little too rough compared to the one used on the headset (but itā€™ll most likely still work). Hereā€™s a ā€œfinerā€ version:
https://www.amazon.de/dp/B077B9MKP4

4 Likes

Before receiving the KDMAS I was using a vive foam for that reason (thicker than original Pimax foam).

With the KDMAS I have immediately installed the thickest provided foam. I need more time testing with it now, especially since the tightening will affect the eye-to-lense distance, as well as the hinges design (using original ones for now, with the bad travel angle, and Iā€™m not bypassing the endstop).

2 Likes

Iā€™m using the VRMust PU leather foam but still need at least one layer everywhere (two to three in the sides) before it works well for meā€¦ :wink:

Mostly due to my eye lashes smudging the lenses on the ET module, not due to distortion.

2 Likes

Yes, iā€™ve noticed it.

There might well be a trade off between panel brightness and pixel persistence. We might not be able to have both at the same time.

4 Likes

I saw the blur when putting it down to 50 backlight level too, so I donā€™t think thatā€™s totally the cause, although I do agree maybe persistence takes a hit and makes it look worse when itā€™s brighter.

2 Likes

just use some double sided velcro straps under your facepad if you want to raise distance to lensesā€¦

3 Likes

It could be to allow the higher brightness levels theyā€™ve had to set different tolerances in the firmware IE turned up the rise and fall times at all brightness levels.

2 Likes

after some game play last night, backlight adjustment does improve some aspect of image quality, of course it doesnā€™t magically increase resolution, itā€™s sort of making some colors pop more and more contrast so you be able to distinguish different areas easier and perceive it to be more defined.

Without the backlight setting available, previous attempt adjusting contrast and brightness resulted with some crushed colors lost details, on the 1 -3 setting some of the lost details are brought back, so previously it could appear blurry due to colors crushed, now I could see more details, and this to me perceived as the whole image quality got more clear sharp. This is noticeable reading black text on white background, the text is more dark and white not so much overblown.

Thatā€™s the way I perceive it, what about you guys what do you think?

4 Likes

I have been telling since the beginning increasing the contrast was burning the whites (losing the brightest details) and decreasing brightness you lose the dark details.

Thatā€™s why I have most often never used more than +/- 1 on those settings, unless exceptionnal cases like scanner sombre game where you can benefit from going very high on contrast without any (noticeable/significant) downside.

Playing with backlight level is the way to go.
Also adding a gamma setting would help as others have already suggested.

5 Likes

You are right, when I was on my 5k+ playing vacation simulator, there was a mini game in it I couldnā€™t complete and make sense of, matching the food ingredients to the picture, I couldnā€™t figure out what the task wanted, turns out the last ingredient needed was an egg (white) and the picture had white background. So under default setting it was showing, with contrast brightness adjustment it blended into the background become invisible.

So yeah backlight setting helps to bring those back. Will play more games once I get home from work again tonight :grin:

2 Likes

Might be, but I installed the new pitool a couple of days before I installed the new firmware. When I used the 8kx with just the pitool updated there was something that was distracting, but I could not put my finger on it at the time. I figured it was because of the IPD-changes and that I perhaps had to to do re-tuning session later (only had 10 minutes to check it out). Installed firmware today and became more aware of the slight blur after testing a bit longer. Not sure if itā€™s the pitool or firmware/brightness setting thatā€™s the cause of this.

1 Like

Yeah, who knows. I might try rolling both back.

Pro-tip: Use Night time in Walking Dead Saints and Sinners to calibrate the colors. I found 91 backlight and +1 contrast and -2 brightness across all channels gives the best image quality while still allowing you to see the path to take at night in that game. When you set brightness too low on the colors it makes it impossible to see where you need to go in the game.

Update, made a video:

6 Likes

@john2910 did you have to rename the firmware file or place it any specific folder for it to work?
thanks

edit: never mind, I got it to work after looking at Dmelā€™s videoā€¦

3 Likes

Something strange. When I first installed and tried this new version, I was able to get large fov not only on 72 and 90hz (5k+) but also on 120 and 144hz, tried it and it worked. this surprised me.
But today when I tried, on 120hz and 144hz I only had normal and small fov available in pitool.
no idea why.
also, before this new version of pitool, when the IPD offset was at zero and if the IPD wheel was set to a minimum, it gave a 60mm IPD shown on in the headset.
now the minimal is 61mm. and like I said in a previous comment, changing the left and right offset wonā€™t change this number anymore, no matter what offsets you put (but can actually change the IPD and so the scale, only the number that appears stays the same)

1 Like