Pitool 1.0.2.086

@Heliosurge

Disregard my message - firmware flash all good once I worked out to call the new firmware the name of the older version (which was backed to another folder).

Back Light Adjustment on 8K-X - Nice. I’m going the other way to some here and dialing it a bit darker. Things seem to pop a little better when my eyes aren’t saturated in light. Took it down to 50 on first test but might bring it back up a little to 52 - 55 and settle there.

IPD is sitting well too at measured IPD setting with no need for screen offset that I can gauge. The Beta Firmware and PiTool are good. Pimax - (New Motto) on the up and up. :grin:

3 Likes

How do you flash the firmware?

1 Like

Download the firmware. In the pitool directory there is a dfu.exe. click on it to run and choose the firmware file you want to load. This is one method.

3 Likes

Burning the firmware stagnated on 98% ??

1 Like

Not sure. You might need to retry with Display Port Disconnected as I think this was mentioned with Pitool 264.

Though Firmware flash might have worked. Is the headset detected in pitool?

2 Likes

Thanks HMD still works normal and FW did not update. Will try again later

1 Like

@Miracle @mirage335 @PimaxQuorra @Alex.liu
do you have any information about 60Hz for 8kx? Is it close to release or more on a further plan?

1 Like

I haven’t tried this new firmware yet. I’m looking forward to comparing color correction + higher backlight on the 8KX to the G2. Will make a video about it.

3 Likes

@CaptainDaedalus I just checked out your Pimax tips videos which were very helpful by the way…when you talked about the horizontal calibration option in pitool that fixes the screen sometimes not being perfectly horizontal…I don’t have that option in Pitool. What version of pitool are you using? Is it in the latest beta version that was just released? I have just been restarting the headset whenever it does this so being able to correct it instead would be much better. thanks

2 Likes

But that is not what a lot of us are talking about here. We’re talking about perceived eye strain - the kind of strain that makes you feel cross eyed and like there’s something off with the picture no matter how much you dial the hard/soft ipd. The strain that makes you insane! :sweat_smile:

There are hmds that peeps do not experience any eye strain in (even if there’s, like you’re saying, technically some eye strain going on). I’ve owned/tried/used PSVR, Daydream, Gear VR, Vive, Vive Pro, Go, Quest and Index without any perceived eye strain.
That is not the case with my 5K+…
A good example just happened actually. I had used the Index a couple of months and switched over to 5k+ to enjoy Skyrim with that awesome fov and, damn, I’d forgotten the eye strain. I thought “well I sorta got used to it the last time”, so I just played a couple of hours. When I took off the hmd and my eyes met the real world again - my eyes was f*cked up. I was out of focus and had to wait for my eyes to slowly adjust back. It was scary.

4 Likes

That makes me wonder if your headset settings might still need tweaking. I kept experimenting whenever we got new settings (like vertical offset), so there’s no need to assume your situation can’t be improved. As it turned out, the vertical offset settings were quite important in my case, since appears that my eyes aren’t at the same height.

I would hope that you can improve your comfort level.

You might want to try refitting and readjusting your headset. Here’s my guide which covers that…
https://community.openmr.ai/t/tips-for-getting-the-most-out-of-your-8kx/32487?u=neal_white_iii

6 Likes

Download the Firmware

Download the Firmware flashing tool

Backup your old firmware which is found in C:\Program Files\Pimax\Runtime\dfudriver

Move the new firmware into the firmware flasher folder and rename it to p2.dfu

Disconnect the Display Port plug

Exited PiTool

Load up Windows Powershell (Admin) and CD to the folder of the firmware flashing tool

Do the 3 button / finger turn on of the headset counting 8 sec then releasing the Power Button, followed by the 8 second Volume Up Button and lastly, the Volume Down button when the led was flashing the different colours

Type in DfuSeCommand.exe 0 p2.dfu

Wait for the command to run and finish.

Restart PiTool and plug in the Display Port Plug on your headset.

If any issue - power cycle the headset.

Martin outlines it here for the 8K at 11.55 min into the vid.

5 Likes

I felt the same using my 5K+ but it seems it’s to a much lesser degree on the 8KX.

I still vote for the primary reason being lense (HMD) to lense (eye) distance.

If You don’t get it right You’ll be slightly cross-eyed.

I guess the 8KX with CK + VRMust/thick foam fits my face better than 5K+ with og cowling and 22mm Vive aftermarket foam.

I use one layer of velcro between foam and cowling on both but extra on the sides for the 8KX/CK.

2 Likes

Man I’m loving this backlight update…been waiting for it for a long time. When I got my Quest 2, I was amazed by the brightness/colors vs the 8KX…

but with the backlight adjustment, the 8KX is comparable now. It seems a bit more natural looking than the Quest 2. The 8KX brightness “pops” now, maybe not necessarily the colors, but it’s just more life-like now in terms of overall brightness.

I was so much more immersed that I thought maybe I was on 140/Normal FOV instead of 120, but nope! still 120.

I wasn’t a fan of the color settings noted in this thread(I may revisit those settings again, who knows), but I noticed my panels seemed a bit yellow-ish, so after tweaking a ton, I think I’ve settled on
Red Brightness -2
Green Brightness -1
Blue the same
Backlight around 90 (hopefully going that high isn’t bad).

I think having 0.5 increments, at least, for brightness/contrast will help a lot too. I think Red -1.5 and Green -0.5 could be better than what I have, for example.

Waiting for my backer box/KDMAS (looks like it’s on its way) and I think I’ll really start enjoying this headset a lot.

5 Likes

Wow I just tried the backlight firmware update and it’s incredible!

To flash it I opened Dfu.exe from C:\Program Files\Pimax\Runtime\

Then I selected the dfu file and pressed Download firmware. It applied the update without any issue and I didn’t have to unplug the displayport cable or anything like that. After update, the backlight feature automatically appeared in Pitool. After doing:

And setting backlight to 91, I must say that WOW! The brightness and colors look as incredible as on the HP Reverb G2. And it seems to have increased the overall perceived resolution. I now have the same wow moments looking at the same scenes in the G2 as I do on the 8KX. So now I’m going back to saying the G2 is only 5% to 10% better clarity. While text in 8KX is very much readable, the text looks clearer for sure on the G2. Also it seems I get less eye strain on the 8KX.

Will make a video about this tomorrow.

15 Likes

Good to hear! A part of me thought I’d be missing out on the G2, but going to a lower FOV kinda puts me off to it…Glad the 8KX its about comparable now. I must say though, I remember you talking about the “blur” when moving your head, and I seem to actually notice it now…not sure if it’s the firmware, Pitool, or just the brightness exposing it…it’s not a huge deal but it’s noticeable now.

5 Likes

Good stuff! And shows why healthy competition is important in any industry.

3 Likes

Yeah there is some blur effect when turning head, mostly noticeable on fast turns if your headset is loose and shifting on your nose. But the same effect is there on the G2 but to a much lower degree. Also sweetspot is not the best on the G2 so I still get out of focus experiences ocassionally.

1 Like

just got home from work ( i been surfing the forum at work) and flashed the firmware and used those calibration settings.

holy crap!

things does look sharper with those settings and text easier to read than before.
nice deep colors too.

thanks for sharing, im gonna go enjoy playing abit and see the differences in different games

9 Likes

Bugger I have to wait until Friday before I can try this firmware but early impressions seem very promising.

4 Likes