Pitool 1.0.2.086

I haven’t fooled around at all with vertical software adjustment? Can you explain why it makes sucj a difference?

I never use it because i’m thought that simply moving the image up or down wouldn’t change the focus of the lenses.

Would be nice if in app Pimax could explain what each adjustment would affect or why you would adjust it.

4 Likes

I keep seeing comments about color & brightness adjustments. I made a video that shows how to make your display look much better. This is the link if anybody’s interested. Pimax: Things You Need To Know part 1 of 2 - YouTube
I’ve been asked by a few folks for a side-by-side comparison between my monitor and my headset. I’m figuring out how I can best do that right now. You can look for that to be published soon.

6 Likes

The moving of the image up or down on the screens allows one to place the center of the image in the sweet spot of the lenses relative to how the headset sits on ones face. We all are different facially and the new firmware/PiTool, although with benefits in adjusting backlight, it did move the image relative to the lenses compared to prior.

With the recent firmware update and PiTool, when flying in Il2, I was noticing that glancing down at my instruments, they were clear but when looking out the aircraft, the detail was not as good. I decided to see what I could do about it. I am still testing but I was quite impressed with the results I got so far.

The clarity compared to default settings - for me Size 58 head with large brow and athletic structure - is night and day. I wonder how it translates at lower render targets (2.1k vertical as opposed to 3k vertical) where my lowly RTX2080 can push out decent frames on Ultra Settings.

Still 2.1k vertical (Normal FOV) isn’t bad with fps between 60 to 75 on native mode. Can’t complain too much to upgrade or not to upgrade GPU that is the question. Not keen on supporting Scalpers, maybe look at it when the 3000 Nvidia’s get a refresh and then how the AMD drivers are progressing then as well as AMD VR performance…

1 Like

it makes sense now, it further highlights that we need some kind of unity VR IPD calibration utility

Where it asks you to focus on objects at different depths and parts of the screen. And allows you to interactively set the vertical horizontal software offset until every thing is sharp and undistorted.

@SweViver ?

3 Likes

Now that my good fellow is a great idea VR IPD calibration tool
in swevivers software
bring it on pimax

3 Likes

I believe and hope that is exactly what they are working on for the PE IPD configuration tool

3 Likes

Me too as this would be the best thing they could do.

This calibration scene could have objects placed at various distances and positions on screen with text written on them so that we could look at everything and every part of the lense / screen

and adjust the whole thing in real time

Maybe some kind of wizard before that stage though., A series of objects and questions

for example. Place several circles with a grid inside and some text and ask user pick which one seems the sharpest and then do this for several areas of the screen and depths until a profile is created for the user.

Very similar to the ClearType calibration tool that Microsoft has for windows when you trying to make text less fuzzy on lcd screens

EDIT: I’m thinking this will be great but also highlights that the Pimax is definitely not a headset you show off to friends. Because I’ll be damned if after calibrating everything perfectly if I’m just going to let someone else touch my settings. lol

8 Likes

My request is that PiTool has mouse wheel scrolling for moving the value sliders. It is a bit clumsy at the moment with point and click, especially with the Back Light control where you don’t get to slide the value and see it change as you move it either way.

For the IPD calibration tool, I would also welcome mouse input for value adjustment in real time as other forms of control are still rather clumsy by comparison.

Anyway, onward and upward.

3 Likes

u need new firwmare and pittols 086 look nextVR youtube video

1 Like

When adjusting IPD I would like it if the IPD number was shown in a smaller size and perhaps in one of the upper or lower corners. If you tune while looking at something at a certain distance the big pop-up in the middle of your view mess up your focus point.

By the way, I’ve been so occupied with the color settings, but have any of you noticed increased performance with this pitool? I wasn’t looking at performance when I started using it so I’m not exactly sure, but I feel like performance is up.

4 Likes

This is why long ago I suggested using the cross like old Rear projection TVs had for convergence as you can adjust up/down left/right.

Once the 2 colored yellow and blue crosses are aligned you should see a green cross.

10 Likes

I always had the problem with my 8k+ that the image on one eye was blurred. This was a permanent problem for the eyes and the brain. With the new Pitool I can focus the images of both eyes. I’ve set ipd offset right +0.7 and left +0.4
Yesterday I played Skyrim VR for 2 hours without problems or eye strain
For all of you who have the same problem with the IPD setting, you should try this version!

8 Likes

Finding there is a bit of geometric pinching of the image on Normal FOV Pimax 8K-X with the current lens profile. Up, Down Left or Right, objects get squished on their corresponding vertices.

2 Likes

Cool, I just home today and Noticed my 8k X and Replacement StarVR One. I will have some fun testing these two the next few days

I will be downloading all of these files and settings

wait, you used backlight adjustment on the XR? Which Pitool? The one discussed here?

1 Like

I must be looking in the wrong places I can’t find a pitool newer then 1.0.1.264
Where is this one?

https://community.openmr.ai/t/pitool-1-0-2-086/32958

cheers!

3 Likes

Another thing I noticed with this PiTool but have yet to mention.

PiTool Render Quality at 1 with SteamVR Video at 50% and 100% - SteamVR overlays are very low res and highly pixelated. This does not translate in game but only with the SteamVR user interface and desktop mode.

Not an issue with PiTool Render Quality at other settings - just 1

This is an issue with the current version of SteamVR that was hotfixed in the current SteamVR beta.

6 Likes

(Posting this here since it is a bit off-topic for the original thread: )

With which PiTool-version are you / is he working with?
As mentioned, at least in .086, each new “apply” overrides the ones before…

I noticed this when using @Jien1963D 's calibration image:
My display is 1 level too reddish - so I decreased the red contrast by 1 ( = “-1”). When clicking apply, the colours got okay - but the overall contrast and brightness level was reduced, too.
So I retried it:
1st, overall contrast +1, apply => Contrast got better, but far too reddish. Okay, no wonder, red contrast was +1, too, this way, first.
2nd, red contrast -1, apply => clear grey shading, but bang, whole contrast reduced.

I died a second try, this time with brightness, because this doesn’t affect colours:
1st, overall brightness -1, apply => whole image got darker, but reddish again.
2nd, red contrast -1, apply => whole image got brighter again, though grey scaling was ok.

Retried it with other contrast and brightness settings twice again, just to be sure. Always same behaviour.

So it would be nice to know, whether this happens to others with .086, too, and whether it is related to .086 only. Since I have updated to the new beta firmware, I don’t want to try any downgrades.

1 Like