Pitool 1.0.2.086

That also happened to me recently regarding missing foam. I didn’t think much of it but now i’m concerned.

I got an email yesterday that I have a shipping update, which must be the foam not waiting on anything else. Tracking number via 4PX. The hinges showed up in regular post without any prior warning.

1 Like

Oh wow I completely missed the news about the new firmware. Sounds like brightness adjustment is a major upgrade.

When are we going to get a new Pitool that packages the firmware upgrade and the latest Pitool experience?

Also when will Pitool experience have ipd setting helper?

3 Likes

Sure! Added it to backlog :wink:

8 Likes

Hi Heliosurge, 1.0.0.2.86 is not a customer version , its a test version for the engineers. i dont know who released it , but will be released as 1.0.0.265 in few days.

14 Likes

If I had an IPD offset of -1 on the old pitool, how do i set that same offset on the new one? -0.5 and -0.5?

I would guess that before it just applied the same value to both eyes instead of per eye. So if that’s your perfect setting, use -1 on both.

It was released in the last official update.

10 Likes

Since I’m using this version I’m having trouble switching between PP on/off. Whereas before hitting apply and restarting Steam did it, it now rarely works and most often I have to switch the headset off and back on to have it changed (even restarting the headset from PiTool doesn’t work).

After installing R294 firmware, the tracking from base stations is very poor. Can’t track the 8KX most of the time. When it tracked, it will loose tracking again after 1-2 minutes. Do anyone have the previous firmware saved prior installing to R294? I only have P2_D262.dfu.
I have restarted the PC, Pi service numerous times with no success.

You know, it makes me wonder, if the headset looks so much better with the adjustments to the colors and backlight using this firmware, why wouldn’t Pimax set it this way by default? I worry that maybe these adjustments are out of spec for the panels and might cause problems if they run this way for an extended period of time. Does everything think this is safe for the HMD?

3 Likes

It’s because the software is in beta status and still developing but what do you think it could cause? Burning in is fixable on a LC-Display and all settings are within the limits. I used backlight and color adjustments on my 5k plus and XR for over 4 months and nothing happens :wink:

4 Likes

In a way, I think it’s like adapting to bifocals or even just to a new eyeglass prescription. When I got bifocals for the first time I nearly gave them back because I could not adapt to reading with them. I had to wear them for about four days before my eyes finally adapted, or rather the part of my brain that handles eyesight got together with my eyeballs and figured it out.I find it with my 8KX I swap back-and-forth between a thick foam and a thin form and each time I switch I think I’ve found the answer, but then it doesn’t work anymore. I think part of it is that I’m not giving my mind/eye connection enough time to adapt. I’ve stopped messing about switching phones and I think it’s kind of settled into place for me. But I wouldn’t say no the better lenses either. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

There’s that left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing again. :crazy_face:

2 Likes

This is what I was thinking a week ago. The Pimax is a headset that seems to be designed to review badly.

When handing this headset to reviewers like @Tyrielwood they will probably want to do a through the lens video with all headsets set to factory defaults.

If Pimax factory defaults are set to arse then this is what we will see in comparisons.

The Pimax headset is designed with literally a million little options which is its advantage but also disadvantage when it comes to “out of the box” experience.

When using Virtual Desktop for example i found that the default brightness and contrast were actually way too high and alot of text legibility is lost. As soon as I dropped brightness to -1 suddenly the detail levels shot up by double. This doesn’t just affect text but it affects the overall picture clarity as the entire color range is fixed.

I haven’t tried the new firmware that lets you adjust brightness of the backlight yet, but if
NextGenVr’s review is anything to go by it will basically put the image quality within striking distance of the G2.

Its a shame that most reviewers idea of a fair review is slapping the headset on doing no tweaking and then saying there’s distortions everywhere.

7 Likes

I am not sure what issues it could cause but I am reassured by your reply. I appreciate your input, @Akuma540.

3 Likes

This has been a problem for awhile. Remember the TH initial release review? Many review sites requirements are out of the box. Not doing a a dozen plus tweaks to make it work.

On the plus this time around with PE @SweViver and @arminelec can have it with a 1 button optimization for that great out of box experience with a wide variety of settings. It will be even better once cloud profiles are available.

We know pimax headsets need at base in steam max res setting changed.

Now we just need the Ipd Setup guide program to more complete things.

4 Likes

That’s hilarious…

5 Likes

Talking of which, I decided to dive into the Vertical and Horizontal IPD adjustments to see what I could get out of the headset.

My reference was the Barrels in the Il2 Hangar over the other side of the hangar. My objective was to raise the clarity of image more to the mid section of the lenses of my 8K-X on the Vertical and then to have at my measured IPD, clear (approx the same spot of clarity) image of the barrels in both lenses on the Horizontal.

At my IPD of 66.4, I had a decent result with +4 both sides Vertically and +1.5 in the Right eye Horizontal adjustment.

With this I could get the barrels clear more in the middle of the lenses vertically, as opposed to lower 3rd and I could close one eye, get the barrels clearly in focus in one eye and open the other eye and have it in focus to.

Made a big difference to in game clarity when flying.

IPD adjusting especially for a wide FOV headset is not an easy thing. Probably why others don’t produce such headsets and why Pimax headsets are not just plug em in and bingo results. I hope that someday there will be a neat method in Pimax Experience or PiTool to help people dial this in.

I noticed if I went the wrong way with my right eye horizontal adjustment, I would be seeing double of objects over distance. Sort of like a form of ghosting.

3 Likes

Now that you put it like that (…and I know only too well what you are talking about, with regard to the desktop), could we have double-check-and-confirmation from Pimax, that the panels are driven full-range, and not “TV safe”? :7

2 Likes