PiTool 1.0.1.275 Discussion

No firmware glitch. No fix for the 1/3 smoothing.

Thereā€™s no flash glitch. Thereā€™s no 1/3rd fix

Okay, so with .275, something is really weird now:

I played an hour this morning, closed PiTool, and Reliability Monitor showed once again, pi_overlay.exe was not working properly any more when closing PiTool. So far, so bad.

Now, I want to start another session, launch PiTool - and get PiOverlay always launching as separate window as well:

When I close it, it restarts itself automatically.

This never happened with any version before.

And always generating failure entries:

works with a Pimax 5k+???

Are you exiting PiTool when you close it?

If so, the headset wont work - it needs PiTool running in the background. Just minimise it.

I know.

I am always switching secondary USB power ā€œonā€ and starting PiTool when I use the 8K-X, and I am always closing PiTool and switching secondary power ā€œoffā€ when I donā€™t use it. Otherwise, the headset just draws current for nothing for hours, and the PC itself, too, is more busy.

Worked flawless since 4K times this way three or four years ago until .270 included (version I used until yesterday before upgrading to .275), and I never had this issue before. (Except, the 4K didnā€™t have the secondary power, of course :wink: - but I did the handling with the old Pimax software this way already then.)

I will revert to .270 and see whether the issue is gone again then. If so, it is .275 related.

2 Likes

Installed .270.
Set up everything (colors, room setup).
Closed PiTool at 5pm03.

=> no new entry in Reliability Monitor:

=> definitely .275 related, at least on my machine.

And concerning PiTool and powering off - I also watched the load and temps:
While PiTool is running and the HMD is on, ā€œidleā€ load of pi_server.exe is ā€œlowā€ with ~1%, and GPU temperature stays at ~64Ā°Cā€¦ although PiHome is off and the HMD is just showing the B/W configuration screenā€¦

So I prefer handling it the way I did it for several years now :wink:
Besides the fact this canā€™t be the cause of the aforementioned issue since it wouldnā€™t have gone away with .270.

Ah, just another hint for everyone upgrading PiTool to a new version:

After PiTool installation, before rebooting your PC, go to ā€œAutostartā€ in Task Manager and deactivate PiTool on autostart. This way, reboot is ā€œsafeā€, and youā€™ve won the time to think about how to upgrade the HMDā€™s firmware properly without running into the DFU issue :wink:

2 Likes

I have 3090 and PiTool software 275 and firmware for Pimax 8K X 90Hz and 90FPS all the time at 4K iRacing resā€¦ P2_DEBUG_8KX_M299_t20211101115020_r85cdd55_forEnableHDCP from support as you have it with latest nVidia 511.65 drivers and for iRacing Ryan settings ā€¦ it works first time without flicingā€¦
The only think is that Pimax Hand tracking do not workā€¦ :frowning:

It might or might not be related to .275 and firmware 299, but I think I will post the link to my latest issue thread from today here, too:

https://community.openmr.ai/t/led-stays-white-error-10600-8k-x-brick-or-is-it-just-the-dp-cable-any-further-ideas/38127

ā€¦ stay awake - and never change a running system without need :wink:

1 Like

What version is your Nvidia driver, firmware and Pitool?

1 Like

Anyone running 5K XR with 275 and FW included with it and no issues? I am still on 269 or 267, it works rock solid and afraid to update reading above issues hitting Nealā€¦

1 Like

nVidia: 511.72 (released Feb 6, 2022), FW: 2.1.255.299, and PiTool: 1.0.1.275

1 Like

I am still using 471.41 from July 2021.
Does anyone know whether .275/299 needs a minimum nVidia version except for 90 Hz (which I am not running - canā€™t even reach stable 75 Hz with my simā€™s) ?
And which could lead to strange PiTool / PiOverlay behaviour if my driver version is too old although it generally seems to work @75 Hzā€¦?

I installed the latest Nvidia driver 511.79 and it works great with FW: 2.1.255.299 and Pitool: 1.0.1.275.

2 Likes

Great! Iā€™m glad itā€™s working for you.

1 Like

If it ainā€™t brokeā€¦ :smiley:

2 Likes

I have the same combination but the only thing is that Pimax hand tracing does not work in this combinationā€¦
should be some warning from pimax about that ā€¦
I still didnt manage to solve how to hand tracking worksā€¦ I have it now more then one week but do not work :frowning:
It worked with driver 5.31 but not with pitoolā€¦ :frowning:

I hope Pitool 276 will be out soon they told that hand tracking will be supported in 276 version :slight_smile:
When Pimax???

1 Like

You may be playing different games?

I did the update in Pitool from 1.01.274 to 1.01.275 (no delete, no reinstall).
No longer beta.
AMD RX6900XT, 90Hz, still working fine.

Initial impressions (I need to test/play more) I may be getting better GPU performance.

I still need to test all the smoothing options, as have never worked (no usable).

4 Likes

What ā€¦ exactly ā€¦ is there to understand?

Youā€™re not having any problems. Thatā€™s great. Good for you.

Unfortunately for others of us, our headsets refuse to connect to SteamVR. That is the problem we are having, even if you are fortunate enough not to have encountered it yourself.

Does that explain it?

3 Likes