PiTool 1.0.1.275 Discussion

No, and I’m not planning to. I have no available PCIe slots; my monster video card blocks them all.

I don’t think it’s a hardware issue. PiTool always sees the headset, but SteamVR does not, unless I’ve just reinstalled PiTool, in which case SteamVR will see the headset too.

3 Likes

Probably should have made my above questions shorter. Brevity is fundamentally not a style in which I frequently express my angst and/or anything else for that matter. :joy:

1. Will this flash my HMD when I very much don’t want it to?
  2. Any progress on the abysmal 1/3 frame-rate smoothing skullduggery?
2 Likes

Brief response :wink:
1- I’m with a Pimax artisan, so not sure for the 8KX, but no automatic firmware flash from my side
2- Absolutely no change… 1/3 always get on during minimal spikes; thus smoothing still unusable… very disappointing

2 Likes

I have an 8KX and no automatic flash, but that might be because I already have the latest firmware.

3 Likes

Thanks for the responses. After hearing it probably wouldn’t flash my HMD I went ahead and upgraded. All looks basically the same as before, as far as I can tell.

5 Likes

I hope we get the 90hz FW for the 8K x “boxed” with pitool soon, is this coming with the release version of 1.0.1.275 ?.. @PimaxQuorra All other “optimal FW” for the 8K+ and 5k+ should also be in one package.

5 Likes

Am I missing something? Do you still not have 90hz?
I have had 90hz (with AMD) since June 2021

1 Like

There are a wide variety of Nvidia RTX users whom have mixed results compared to Amd users

2 Likes

I’m one of those nVidia users that 90Hz was never working for. I’d heard that 90Hz stopped working on newer nVidia drivers and that you had to use an old driver. I didn’t want to deal with the problems associated with out of date video drivers, so I was just running 75Hz and waiting for Pimax to come out with an update.

Lately I’ve seen people claiming it works with new nVidia drivers just fine, so I opened a ticket with Pimax, and they supplied me with different firmware, and now my 90Hz works. I’m running Pitool 1.0.1.275 with firmware “P2_DEBUG_8KX_M299_t20211101115020_r85cdd55_forEnableHDCP”.

And I am very pleased with it.

6 Likes

Interessting - It worked for me with the 298FW if i remember correctly - but since newer PiTool’s want to update the “old” FW with the newer current one i did that and get a kind of flashing that loops every few seconds. With the old FW it did work - but I it should be “out of the box” especially if PiTool keeps “showing” that the FW is out of date.
So your debug m299 seems to work - then maybe there is still hope it will come out soon - the “factory” 299 does not for me.

3 Likes

Yes, I am not having 90hz, unless I manually search for the “old 298er” FW and flash it and then ignore PiTool which suggests 299er.

2 Likes

Tried it, and tested it for a few days, and 90Hz works flawlessly for me.
I replaced my cable with the optical cable after updating, but that worked as well.
JFYI, 3080/5800X.
I wonder if it has anything to do with the hardware iteration.
Mine is a pre-order 8K X.

4 Likes

Just built another computer. This time I used the new 275 version of Pitools.

I installed SteamVR and then PiTools (I still prefer “Peetools” :smiley: ), shut down, hooked up my headset and restarted. It auto-flashed my firmware, without giving me a choice. The first time it failed. I suspect that it failed because it was attempting to do this as my computer was starting up. By the time it failed and gave me the opportunity to retry it, my computer had finished starting up. The second attempt was successful. More importantly, apparently it flashed the correct firmware because it worked! I did have some odd issues with SteamVR (I had to reinstall it) but things are working well. I do have a 90hz option but I have not tried it, yet. PE software successfully downloaded and installed when I changed to it in PiTools. I had a few issues but they were self introduced. Overall, I’d say that this was a good experience!

One interesting note. I have 3 monitors and, on a new build, I normally have issues getting the 3 monitors to be recognized as 4k monitors and then have issues seeing the displays on the headset. This time I tried a trick that I read about that shouldn’t have had any effect: I went into the bios and selected my pcie display rather than leaving it on auto. This time installing the monitors and then the headset was flawless. No plugging and replugging to find a working port on my card! Of course, it could have been the card (finally got my Strix!) but my guess is that it was the bios setting change.

If anyone is waiting to hear how this release works, I’d say it’s a success and you should go for it!
Keep us posted as to your experiences…

3 Likes

I’m running the latest nVidia drivers and the latest PiTool. I have no trouble using 90 Hz on my 8KX, which is great, since I only have an RTX 2080 (and it’s not guaranteed to work on that model).

Note that I do have an issue with SteamVR detecting my headset, but as long as I reinstall PiTool before running a game (after turning my headset off), SteamVR can find the headset. It’s a bit of a pain, but at least everything is working (including 90 Hz). This is not a recent issue for me; it’s been a problem for the last 3-4 releases of PiTool.

2 Likes

I have a 3090. Only the 298FW worked for me - no matter what drivers or PiTool Versions (if new enough).
So currently that is PiTool 1.0.1.275 and FW 2.1.255.299 and the latest NVidia Drivers 511.65. I havent tried the 298er FW since I keept hoping that there would be a fixed FW “soon” :crazy_face:
Edit: I am still on the original cabel, no the new fiber one.

2 Likes

:triumph: … dammit …

I knew why I didn’t really want to do the update:

I uninstalled everything cleanly including all subfolders, installed .275, re-booted - and just went downstairs for a couple of minutes while the PC was entering Windows.
When I came down, PiTool autostarted itself and said “firmware update failed”… once again … like with the old .270 before, too.

When looking at the hardware manager, look what I found… again… :

grafik

Didn’t they say, the issue should have been fixed with .275 in the first post of this thread…?!? Well - at least I understood it this way when reading:

Fool me…

Now, that nice little LED once again is blinking in all the rainbow’s colours, I have to attach the HMD to my convertible, and then see how to reset it and do the firmware upgrade for .275, just waisting precious time.

Ey @PimaxQuorra : If you / Pimax simply hadn’t the best VR headset for my purpose, I should think about quitting you… This issue persists since more than one year now, at least, it has been confirmed, there are workaround guides here on this forum, and you are still not able to fix it!! Shame on you!

Oh, c’mon - not really:

grafik

=> Direct link to Pimax VR Downloads is still dead !

Where do I get the latest firmware for my 8K-X now from? And which is the correct version?

Honestly:
I forgave you everything at the beginning and during the 5K/8K kickstarter a couple of years ago.
But now, 3-4 years later, still noob issues both in software as well as on the homepage.
=> Unbelievable. And little by little not regratable any more.

This should help.

https://community.openmr.ai/t/pimaxvr-troubleshooting-wip/37879/3?u=heliosurge

2 Likes

Thx :slight_smile:
Yeah, I am already into it… and I am happy to have a “clean” convertible without the PiTool software itself. So I probably can skip all that “cleansing” and DDU stuff and just flash the 299 DFU with the dfusecommand.exe as I did last time.

Nevertheless: :triumph:

3 Likes

It’s a little late now, but when you came back to your computer and had the message stating that it failed, did you click the “retry” button? When I did that, the second time worked fine. I assumed that it was an issue with attempting to flash firmware while the computer is still booting…

2 Likes

Yes, I did so, “retry” failed as well.

And as highlighted in my screenshot, the 8K-X still is misidentified as my Thrustmaster steering wheel… so, generally not really astonishing, I think.

Besides, it worked after flashing via my convertible. Already did two short sessions, no major issues.
(Except that FFR is still not working with activated PP; apparently only in non-PP games or Oculus mode…)

But: Now, pi_overlay.exe is moaning each time I close PiTool:

With the old .270, I had this issue perhaps once a month or even less - now three times opened, three times closed => 100% failing pi_overlay.exe …

Can anyone confirm?